Windows 7 Upgrading Windows Vista 32 bit to 7 64-bit

needhelpwithwin

So I'm trying to upgrade to Windows 7 64-bit. I boot it up, do the clean install, works like a charm for a while, restarts a couple times. And then it just goes blank when the username screen should load up. I've tried repairing the OS, reinstalling Vista and then reinstalling 7 again. I dunno what else to try at this point. I've tried it a couple times now and always does it. I don't understand what's going on so any help would be greatly appriciated.

Edit: Don't have specific specs with me atm but I've checked and it's 64 bit compatable.

What media or source are you using to install the Win7 64? I see you do say the computer itself does, indeed, support 64-bit, correct?

I was installing a clean system with a brand new SATA III hard drive. The install seemed to go OK, but the first boot after the system was up and running I got a Ci.dll core file missing or corrupt.

I reinstalled and the next time got a blank screen with only a mouse cursor. So it might be a hard drive problem.

But if it gets past the animiated Windows logo or locks up during, it is not able to start the OS for some reason. Possibly some driver is being downloaded after you install that is causing problems. The answer to that is to test without the network connected, or set Windows Update to only install updates you approve and don't allow any driver updates.

But once you install, try to keep any changes to a minimum until you can finish testing. You don't have to activate the install immediately, but test it for a month to make sure it is stable. I would not even enter a key during the install and uncheck the Activate when online check box.

Back