Windows 10 Upon recommissioning my dads old pc, a number of problems occured.

BlockBlazerMC

So upon recommissioning my dad's old pc, everything was fine at first. I could play most of the games I enjoy playing, but then issues started to arise.
Just a few days ago, the pc started having issues performing windows updates. The option would appear, and It would start updating, but the update would end up failing. Over the last couple of weeks, It was only able to complete successfully yesterday.
Speaking of yesterday, earlier I installed a new experimental launcher for a game that I play, but upon installing it, my resolution for my pc got screwed up. My monitor resolution is 1680x1050, but when the new launcher was installed and when I opened my game, the resolutions inside the game would not revert back to how I originally had it. I reinstalled the game many times but nothing fixed it. Installing this new launcher also screwed up the sizes and resolution of my icons and windows. Before the launcher, the game loading screen would fit nicely in my resolution, now the loading screen is too big for it. This is not my game. I attempted to try and fix my resolution in my display settings, but the balance between icon size and the sizes of everything never was able to be reverted.
As of now, I can't even play Minecraft without my mouse freaking out. Im assuming this problem will consist with most other games that lock mouse movement, but the issue is, when I move my mouse around, sometimes the mouse moves slowly as if It were lagging behind. It is not suppose to do that, and this didn't occur earlier this week when I played Minecraft last. I know this because I was playing it for a good hour or so with no issues. My mouse itself isn't having issues either, at least I think. Whenever I restart my pc, I need to unplug and plug my mouse back in for it to work, so it could be a mouse driver issue.
To recap, I am having issues with the following things:
- Windows updates
- Game and system resolution
- Mouse issues or problems tracking mouse pointers/Mouse drivers

If anyone could shed some light on these issues, please do so. I eventually want to start recording gameplay for YouTube, but I can't do so with these problems.
Thanks.

Hi,
sounds like you may have some corruption within the os itself. Try running these scans:
File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

As for issues with updates, try running the update troubleshooter from Microsoft:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4027322/windows-windows-update-troubleshooter

Can you post the make and model of your mouse please.

Hi,
sounds like you may have some corruption within the os itself. Try running these scans:
File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

As for issues with updates, try running the update troubleshooter from Microsoft:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4027322/windows-windows-update-troubleshooter

Can you post the make and model of your mouse please.

Hmm. Apparently the file scans didn't find anything unordinary, and the issues with the updates seemed to have fixed itself.As for the other issues, for the most part, have seemed to disapeared. However my resolution problems still consists, but as of now I don't really mind the problems anymore.

Back