Mandrag0ran

Hello.
i have a couple of Speed-link medusa usb headphones, and there seems to be no way of getting them to work properly in win 7 beta.
When i plug them in, Windows automaticly installs drivers. However, the channel mapping is totaly wrong.
First, it detects as 7.1 sound (with no other alternatives to go with), when its actually 5.1. The side channels have no sound of thier own, and the two back channels are crossed. as for the center/sub i cant really hear if they are crossed aswell.

I have also tried to install the manufacturers drivers for vista64, but when i try to open the "control-center" for the headphones, the computer seems to lock in some kind of loop, thinking really hard (heavy mouse lag, and unable to click anything, not even ctrl-alt-del works)

also, sometimes when i play music with wmp, there seems to be a strange dampening at lower-frequencies. i read in some other post about the speakers "stealing" sound from eachother. this seems to be non-existent when using media player classic.

It would really be nice to get these to work, as my onboard sound card has a cracked soundplug (for the second time), and i want to use headphones.

is there ANYone with a similar prob, please tell me.

ps.
please excuse bad english.

cheers.

Edit:
Heres my specs.
win7 build 7057
Acer travelmate 7520g
AMD turion tl-60 64 2ghz
4gb ram
radeon mobility hd2400xt

Last edited:
Solution
It seems like you are encountering several issues with your Speed-link Medusa USB headphones on Windows 7 Beta. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve these problems:

Channel Mapping Issue:​

1. Driver Installation:
    • When Windows automatically installs drivers, it might not always configure them correctly. You can try manually installing the drivers instead of relying on the automatic installation.
    • Visit the Speed-link website and look for specific drivers for Windows 7 Beta if available.
    []Channel Configuration:
    • You can try configuring the channel mapping manually. To do this:
      • Right-click on the volume icon in your system tray.
      • Select "Playback...
It seems like you are encountering several issues with your Speed-link Medusa USB headphones on Windows 7 Beta. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve these problems:

Channel Mapping Issue:​

1. Driver Installation:
    • When Windows automatically installs drivers, it might not always configure them correctly. You can try manually installing the drivers instead of relying on the automatic installation.
    • Visit the Speed-link website and look for specific drivers for Windows 7 Beta if available.
    []Channel Configuration:
    • You can try configuring the channel mapping manually. To do this:
      • Right-click on the volume icon in your system tray.
      • Select "Playback Devices."
      • Right-click on your headphone device and choose "Configure Speakers."
      • Set it to 5.1 or any other suitable configuration that matches your headphones.
    [
    ]Testing:
    • After configuring the channels, test the headphone audio in different applications to ensure the correct mapping.

Vista64 Drivers Issue:​

[]Compatibility:
    • The issue with the control center freezing could be due to compatibility problems with the Vista64 drivers on Windows 7 Beta.
    • Try running the control center in compatibility mode. Right-click on the application, go to Properties, and set compatibility to Vista or an earlier version.

Playback Issue in Windows Media Player:​

[
    ]Dampening at Lower Frequencies:
    • This could be caused by audio enhancements or processing done by Windows Media Player.
    • Try disabling any audio enhancements in Windows Media Player:
      • Go to Tools > Options > Devices > Speakers > Properties > Enhancements, and uncheck any enhancements.
  2. Alternative Media Player:
    • Since you mentioned that the issue doesn't occur in Media Player Classic, you can consider using it as an alternative if you continue to face problems with Windows Media Player.

Additional Tips:​

• Make sure your system is up to date with the latest Windows updates and drivers.
      • Check the Speed-link website for any specific troubleshooting guides or updates related to your headphones and Windows 7 compatibility.
      These steps should help you troubleshoot the issues you are facing with your Speed-link Medusa USB headphones on Windows 7 Beta. If you continue to experience problems, feel free to provide more details for further assistance.

Solution
Back