Windows 7 USB Root Hub and Code 19

Jtcgh

I recently upgraded from Vista 32-bit to Windows 7 32-bit and have run into an issue with my USB ports.

Basically, if I plug any device (notably a USB pen drive) which requires automatic installation by windows, all of the devices attached to USB ports go dead. In the device manager, all of the 'USB Root Hub' listings (except one) have a yellow triangle and error code 19: "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged."
The one which does not give this error is notable as in its properties, its location is listed as "on Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller", while all others are "on Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller".

Following the advice I found elsewhere, including the official microsoft response (here) I restarted windows in safe mode, went into the device manager and uninstalled the USB Root Hub listings and scanned for hardware changes. This causes all the USB Root Hub listings to correct themselves, and the attached devices to reappear (with yellow triangles of their own). Repeating the process of uninstalling and scanning for the devices fixes these also, and I was able to access data on external hard drives, and use my usb keyboard and mouse again. I ever went as far as to attach any and all USB devices I have, allowing them to be detected, uninstalling their drivers and detecting them to reinstall working drivers.
I should point out that this process does not work except in safe mode: If I try, it seems to reinstall the hubs correctly, but shortly go back to code 19.

Restarting the computer out of safe mode causes everything to run as expected, however, if anything is then plugged in, the devices go dead again, I get a 'driver could not be installed' popup, and code 19 returns on all the USB Root Hubs.
I've tried the safe mode process with nothing plugged in, everything plugged in, and with varying numbers of restarts before leaving safe mode, but nothing I do enables the devices that work in safe mode to work outside of it.
What is going wrong with my usb hubs?
I'm running standard microsoft drivers (v 6.1.76), which appear to be the latest, and there doesn't seem to be alternative usb drivers listed on the motherboard manufacturer's (Gigabyte) website, so I'm at a loss as to what I should do.

Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Just checking in to say I've found a solution to this problem. For anyone else having the same problem:

Basically, the code 19 was caused by a conflict with a driver installed to use a PS3 controller via usb on vista. Uninstalling libusb-win32 from the computer via the control panel fixes everything straight away.

-Jt

Thanks for the report. That was probably a hard one to track down.

i thank everyone for their contribution to this forum! I would never have guess that uninstalling libusb-win32 would solve everything.Thanks Thanks Thanks!!!

[langtitle=es]Re: USB Root Hub and Code 19[/langtitle]

[lang=es]muchisimas gracias Jt y al resto! ya estava desesperado y pensando en formatear k sepas k me e registrado solo para darte las gracias ;)[/lang]

Just checking in to say I've found a solution to this problem. For anyone else having the same problem:

Basically, the code 19 was caused by a conflict with a driver installed to use a PS3 controller via usb on vista. Uninstalling libusb-win32 from the computer via the control panel fixes everything straight away.

-Jt
I created an account just to say: YOU ARE A ROCKSTAR!!! Thank you so much for finding this, I have been tearing out my hair for a week over it!

Back