Windows 7 User profile service failed logon.

marstein

Last night I logged of my Windows 7 RC 64-bit laptop. This morning I log on and the logon takes longer than usual. Finally a non-aero desktop appears and a message is displayed that the desktop could not be loaded or that the profile is damaged. I logged off and on again, rebooted, but could not log on to my account. The event viewer reports event IDs 1500, 1502, 1505, 1508, 1511, 1515 and 1542 - all related to user profiles.
I logged in from another account, but could not run programs from my original user. I found error messages "Windows cannot log you on because your profile cannot be loaded. Check that you are connected to the network, and that your network is functioning correctly. DETAIL - Access is denied."

I booted into repair mode from my memory stick and repaired the boot configuration, which did also not help.
Then I restored back to the one-before-last restore point. I noticed that this morning at 6:26 am a new restore point with the label 'critical update' had been created.
This fixed the problem!

What could be the reason? The critical update from 10/7/09 somehow made it impossible to log on to one specific account! Other accounts still worked, and then rolling back to a restore point from 10/5 fixes the problem. AFAIK restore points do not affect user profiles.

Back