Windows 7 Using Different Directories?

DamageIncM

Hello,

I'm a new Windows 7 user since... say a month.
And even though I've read plenty about how to format drives
and how making directories is a good idea,
I wonder if this would be an issue in Windows 7:

I planned to make different directories across 2 HDDs for the OS, for Applications,
Games and perhaps another one.
Now, I immediately noticed that Windows 7 64bit has 2 'Program Files'-folders,
with one being the x86-version for 32bit-applications.

I have a couple of questions about that first:
- Does that folder have some kind of "compatibility" specially made for 32bit-applications?
- And, does any program that tries to install itself into that folder by default
NEED to be in that folder in order to work?
Or is that sometimes just a standard selection made by Windows or the setup-utility
or just a quick pick from the creators of the software?

Then on to some other and actual questions I have:
- So if I'd want to install an application to a separate directory, say "D:\" on the same HDD as "C:\",
which I would have made for applications, would that not work for 32bit-applications?
If not, would I be able to also create some kind of "compatibility" for that directory
or specific folders or something like that?

On top of that, how would this work for games?
Are they not "bit-specific" or would those also need to go into either any folder for 64-bit,
or into that x86 Program Files folder if they would have to "run at 32bit"?

Greetings.

Last edited:
As you indicate, there are 32 and 64 bit directories. Many programs you run are 32 bit and need that directory.

As to your question about loading on a separate partition, I have not experienced that, but what happens when you try, and are you trying a 32 or 64 bit program? I would guess Windows would put the necessary parts in the correct locations.

As you indicate, there are 32 and 64 bit directories. Many programs you run are 32 bit and need that directory.

As to your question about loading on a separate partition, I have not experienced that, but what happens when you try, and are you trying a 32 or 64 bit program? I would guess Windows would put the necessary parts in the correct locations.

Hm, I'm not sure about that.
Wouldn't changing the directory to a different partition be the same
as you would change from 'Program Files (x86)' to 'Program Files'?
I mean, you'd still force the program or installer to install outside the 32bit-folder right?

But how is this for games then?
Many people have a separate drive for games, like I did, so it shouldn't be a problem right?

Maybe someone else will know for sure, but I do not know if it is a requirement for certain parts of an installation go into specific folders.

Is the program Win 7 approved? I will still just have to guess the program will install to the folder you indicate and any specific items needed in another folder will be loaded there. But all I can do is guess.

With the size of hard drives today and the fact Win 7 has a built-in imaging utility, I like to keep my stuff on one partition so I can re-image and get my system back in a previous condition.

Maybe someone else will know for sure, but I do not know if it is a requirement for certain parts of an installation go into specific folders.

Is the program Win 7 approved? I will still just have to guess the program will install to the folder you indicate and any specific items needed in another folder will be loaded there. But all I can do is guess.

With the size of hard drives today and the fact Win 7 has a built-in imaging utility, I like to keep my stuff on one partition so I can re-image and get my system back in a previous condition.

Hm, yes.
Well, I use multiple drives and partitions to keep everything in its own place.
You know, system, larger applications, games, media, all in their own places.
And I use a more elaborate backup-plan through a program and separate (physical) backup-drives.

By the Windows imaging-utility, do you mean to backup just the system-files or what gets "imaged" exactly?
Because I'm rather new with Windows 7, I really don't know everything about it.

Anyway, would anyone else know how it sticks together on installing different applications in different directories?

Back
Top Bottom