Windows 7 Using WD external drive for backup

OK - just sitting here waiting for a big snowstorm to hit so guess I'll do the giant download and process of Macrium. I have a clearer understanding now of the backup details with your explanation. I will learn best by doing. Thanks for info.

The mystery of why my WD external drive that has not worked has been solved. The power adapter I found in the box with the drive was a Roku adapter which got put in there inadvertently so naturally did not work. I had ongoing discussion with WD support who were great. They supplied me with a new cable -- not the problem -- and when I mentioned the Roku fiasco, they offered to send me a new power adapter gratis. Arrived yesterday, plugged it in and Voila! works. So I am going to make a backup on the drive and a rescue dvd as you have recommended. My question is, every time I do a back up, do I have to create a new dvd? seems like I would but don't know for sure. Thanks very much.

No, the dvd contains only the software to boot from in case of your internal drive becoming unbootable so you only need to do it once. That being said, Sod's Law rules in this business and there is every chance that on the first occasion your hard drives totals your will find you have a read error on your Reflect dvd so I recommend you make a second copy and keep it in a secparate place from the first one.

Thanks very much. I have done just that. I also made "recovery boot menu option" but I am not sure where to find that should I need it. The purpose of that is just another option for getting to the recovery tools, right? Also, chose 3 backups as you have recommended.
* A couple of questions come to mind -- this backup backed up everything on C: drive. I have a folder on my desktop containing lots of photos.
-- did that get backed up as well or do I need to manually place it on the WD drive?
*I did not choose a template for the backups - I will just manually do it whenever I feel it's time, right? and then I just open the program and run the routine again...
* Is it recommended to run the rescue disk to make sure it works? I am hesitant to do so would like some insight on that.
Once again, thanks for all your input and guidance on this. Sure hope it works if ever needed. I do feel better knowing I have done something to avert disaster again. --- Pat (me too):)

The "boot menu option" should show whenever you restart your pc - offering you the option to boot into your op sys or into Reflect. If you don't observe what happens at boot time you may not see it default after a few seconds to start Windows. This will be the most convenient and fastest of the ways to recover from a Reflect image and will be the one most often used. The dvd will be needed only when you have a seriously corrupted drive which will not boot.

1. Your desktop is just a folder in your user folder on drive C so your pics in a desktop foldr will all be included in the image.

2. I don't bother with templates - like you I just run a full backup whenever I think enough has ahppened on the C drive to get me worried if I lost it.

3. By all means test the boot disk - it will simply load up the Reflect program and having checked out that it boots you can simply exit from it.

Thanks for all. Huge help. P.S. Ran the rescue DVD and it did not open Macrium. It opened a few folders as such: "boot", "drivers" "efi" "sources". Don't think it was created. I can try the 2nd copy but thought I'd see what you think. Thanks.

Last edited:
If the dvd didn't open to Macrium as you had indicated, I guess I'm still ok since I have the boot menu option in place. Thanks.

You are as long as your hard drive doesn't die on you, then you will need it so it could be an essential life save. Did you create the dvd by going to "Other tasks" and "Create rescue media"?

Yes, exactly. I went to the Macrium forum and read some posts about Rescue disks. Should I be going to F12, change the boot order and then try it? Of course, once again I don't like messing in those areas but if I must, I will. I have just been putting it in the dvd slot, and clicking on it to open. Maybe I'll make a Rescue USB instead. So frustrating. Thought everything was working fine but need that dvd to open properly.

I use a rescue USB - probably a better bet as increasing numbers of laptops have no optical drive. To use the disk you do need to change the boot order but unless you go off the rails it's quite obvious and straightforward to set boot order to look first at optical drive or usb flash.

F12 and away we go. I don't know why I thought I could just open that dvd and have the process engage. Duh me. I think I am now "bomb" proof as you said. Thanks again for all your help.

Nice work, Fenway!! Sorry, I didn't answer some of these questions for you; I've been online, just didn't see them come through either Alerts or my E-mail or on New Threads. Very strange. You'll be glad you went through this exercise. And the DVD should boot, I still didn't gather whether or not you got this part. It's Ok as Pat says, since you have the MACRIUM BOOT MENU working; HOWEVER; if you lose that new Hard Drive you put in there the Boot Menu won't work!! :eek: At that point you better have external storage media; either DVD or USB drive on-hand otherwise you'll have to pay $130 for a Tech to reinstall your W7 OS again.:headache:

As far as frustration goes; it's no wonder, the Macrium Backup Image process if really for advanced users, so you have done quite well for a home user.:teeth: I will tell you that you are better off trying to make your Macrium Boot DVD than the Boot USB.:noway: I've been trying to make one for 3 years, and I haven't gotten that to work reliably at all.:skull: That may have changed, but there are lots of little things that seem to be a problem there as there are known issues with SanDisk flash drives on W10 and Macrium USB bootable media. Therefore, I recommend you stay away from that particular option. Stay with the DVD discs; as they are cheaper, usually $0.25 US each and you don't have to worry as much about the brand of discs you buy--stay with the name brands, Maxell, Sony, Memorex, IBM, etc. and you should be Ok. I've found a bulk brand I like for these discs; but I recommend you stay away from these and just use brand name discs as they are a few cents more; but you are only going to be making a few of them for this computer and perhaps a couple of other computers you have or your friends have.

Thought I should throw that in there to minimize your frustration. Several of us experts can't make the Macrium USB boot media, I couldn't recommend you try that.:noway:

And, that was the best SuperBowl in decades! My souvenir hat just came in this week:
Pats SuperBowl LI Hat.jpg
Take care,
<<<<BBJ>>>>

Nice hat...yes, good game for sure. Well after thinking it over for a bit after visiting the Macrium forums, I did the F12 routine. I did it and it worked!! Hooray. So I guess I'm all set. I have both boot options in place - hopefully I will be all set for a bunch of time but knowing the spookiness of the pc world, ya just never know. Yes, the Macriuim installation and process was a bit daunting but I got us there with all of the help from you guys so thanks again to you and Pat. Are you high and dry in Big Bear? SoCal looks soaked. Hope not you. Thanks again.

Hi - without reading thru all of our threads for this topic, can you pls tell me now what I do for a new backup. Do I run "Reflect" software to start a new backup? Thanks so much -- Pat

That's right, select all the parts of your system drive and click on "image this disk." Select the drive and folder where you want the image stored. Uncheck the box to use the image ID as the file name, I use something like "systemDriveyymmdd".On the nexxt page under retention rules I select only the "full" and keep the most recent three backups. Click on next and finish to start the backup.

ok great. All I have is my C drive so just when I right click on it, a window comes up with "Macrium reflect -- create a Macrium image of this partition" -- that's it right there. Easy Peasy...Thanks very much again.

Back