Windows 7 Very slow application install in 64bit

nebuk

Hi
I recently installed win 7 64 bit on my computer and it was fine to start and ran pretty fast but then installs suddenly started getting really slow, 20+ hours in some cases or just not working at all. Also worth nothing that I had to turn of UAC in safe mode as it stopped displaying the message (so I couldnt install anything till I did this!)
Along with this I get windows in configuring please wait on most shutdowns
Could someone suggest some actions to take please :)
Many thanks
Ben

The first thing
Backup any important data, docs, email, photos, music, etc.
Then right click command prompt shortcut and choose run as admin
then type sfc /scannow
depending on the results
run chkdsk c: /r from a command prompt
run defrag a couple three times
How does the computer run, other than while you are attempting software installs? Check the event viewer, windows logs, application and system logs see if anything there raises an eyebrow.

Hi
Thanks for the advice!
How long should sfc scannow take on 250gb harddrive its been going about 6 hours....
is there another way I should run it.. safe mode or?...
Cheers
Ben

Never heard of System File Checker taking 6 hours to run, SFC doesn't do anything but check the windows system files, the size of you hard drive unless badly fragmented shouldn't have any impact. As I was hinting at when I told you to perform a backup of your critical data in my original post, I suspect a more serious problem. I would suggest stopping the SFC and running the chkdsk C: /r on the hard drive. That may reveal some other issues.

Hi
I got sfc scnannow to run in safe mode but it just wont start in standard.. I think the route of my problem lies in something that I skipped around when it happened. I found that after an update (cant remember which one sadly) my UAC wouldnt show the message asking if things were ok to install etc
Seeing thsi I just went into safe mode and turn UAC off thus resolving the message issue.
But now I relaise its all the things UAC doesnt like that are causing problems any thoughts...
I tried installing AVG 64 bit again and it still wont go.
i have got all my upadtes in now though apart from windows defender ones and windows defender wont start :(

Back