Windows 7 Video compatibility for Intel 852GM/852GME/855GM/855GME

Hi,

this must be the third time I am attempting this with various versions of either vista or w7.
Technically I could use this barely with the integrated standard vga compatible drivers coming with vista and w7.
However, video acceleration, opengl, etc. are not available and make the whole windows experience much less enjoyable.
The guides posted here have somewhat helped me so far.
I am using a Dell latitude d505 with the troublesome 855gm/gme chipset. Now, with the help of this thread I managed
to get the driver to stick somewhat. In safe mode for example the driver does show up as intel 855gm, however, booting
w7 normally with or without driver signature enforcement does always cause a crashdump (bsod) referring to ialmnt5.sys.
No matter what I do I cannot seem to get past this issue.
Funnily enough I could even get the intel installer itself to execute under compatibility mode but this also just resulted in
the same issue.
I also tried disabling the integrity checks via elevated command prompt. Again, no change.
It is starting to look next to impossible to get this to run properly here, in which case i would have to revert to XP :(
Any ideas?

Update:

I have no idea what I did differently this time, however, my 855gme now shows up every time, along with the standard vga graphics adapter.
Interestingly, windows only uses the standard vga adapter and stops the 855gme and puts the yellow triangle next to it. There does not seem to be a way that I can convince W7 to use the 855gme now that the driver actually sticks somewhat without bsod-ing everytime I install it.

Last edited:
Ok, another discovery - and a very interesting one at that! ;)

Apparently you can export the 855GM intel driver from a working version of Vista using DriverMax and then import it to Windows 7. Neat eh? :D

I just created a restore point and imported the 855GM driver using DriverMax and now have a fully functional 855GM driver with no errors reported in Device Manager:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

More info on the link below (including a link to d/l DriverMax), and see the comments on the same page for the zipped Vista driver:

Windows 7 and the Intel 855GM Video Driver "Solution" « Virtualization, Windows, Infrastructure and all that “stuffâ€Â￾ in-between

Have fun peeps! :D

Yup, the DriverMax version works, but not really:
Try viewing a DivX movie, or just assess your Windows performance. I bet you anything your computer will hang completely, with you having to do a hard reset.
So far, it seems, we're stuck.

Last time I tried to assess my windows performance with the XP driver my system hung - so no change for me there.

I don't think this was supposed to be a perfect solution, but it's certainly a damn sight easier than messing about trying to force the XP drivers to work.

Did you get DivX playback with the XP driver?

No. That's where I'm at.
I'd be happy leaving it at that, since I use that little laptop as a netbook, I don't use DivX playback, but when I had it running for a while, it had hung itself, and I can't have that.

Thanks to AurtherDent for this solution. I'm using an Inspiron 510m as in the main artcile, and had the same problem of being stuck at 640x480. I've dual booted with XP, and although I have Vista machines, I didn't want to go through the rigmarole of installing/reinstalling etc, so the posted file was very useful.
I had the same issue with the active buttons being inaccessable in Drivermax, but before resorting to RD I managed to get through the stages by trial and error with a combination of the tab and arrow keys and the enter button. I now have full 1400x1050 resolution. Not tried much yet, I'm not fussed about aero and won't use it for videos, it's just a spare laptop I'm using for practicing with XP on (studying for MCP) and seeing what 7 is like.

I've tried a few different methods but haven't had success:
1) DriverMax driver import from the downloaded zip. This resulted in BSOD after reboot. Had to restore to last restore point.
2) Downloaded install package from Dell for the 700m for Windows XP (Vista not available), and ran it with Windows XP SP2 compatibility. This resulted in a black screen after reboot and new driver detection.
3) Update driver and point to the win2000 folder that was extracted from the Dell package. This sometimes came back with a black screen and other times just didn't do anything.

I ended up with seeing the video chipset shown as 855gm, but couldn't get the resolution to change - max stayed at 1024x768.

Keeping my fingers crossed for official drivers (not likely?) or other methods to try.

Thanks.

Sorry it didn't work 700mOwner. At least 1024x768 isn't so bad - I had 640x480!

I'm never sure if the Compatability feature really works for drivers - I tend to think of it more for running older programs, and even that doesn't always work. The driver is after all the interface bewteen hardware and OS, so needs to suit the OS as best it can.

Here's hoping fo another solution.

Send Me That Driver!

Ok, another discovery - and a very interesting one at that! ;)

Apparently you can export the 855GM intel driver from a working version of Vista using DriverMax and then import it to Windows 7. Neat eh? :D

I just created a restore point and imported the 855GM driver using DriverMax and now have a fully functional 855GM driver with no errors reported in Device Manager:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

More info on the link below (including a link to d/l DriverMax), and see the comments on the same page for the zipped Vista driver:

Windows 7 and the Intel 855GM Video Driver \"Solution\" « Virtualization, Windows, Infrastructure and all that “stuff” in-between

Have fun peeps! :D

AurthurDent,

Will you email me that driver? I am also trying to get this working properly on a D400 and have followed the instructions to repeated failure. If you would email me the extracted driver you have, I would greatly appreciate the assistance. I have enabled the ability to receive emails from other members in my profile.....thank you again for the help!

PLEASE DISREGARD......after reading all of your post I saw the link to the driver info. Thank you very much for making this available!

Last edited:
You're welcome! Enjoy! :D

Is you Intel SpeedStep working?

My D400 was getting quite hot, and had to install RMClock to get the cpu to clock back to 600Mhz when not under load. Without RMClock my cpu clocks at 1.7Ghz all the time, generating a fair amount of heat from the vents the right hand side of the laptop.

You're welcome! Enjoy! :D

Is you Intel SpeedStep working?

My D400 was getting quite hot, and had to install RMClock to get the cpu to clock back to 600Mhz when not under load. Without RMClock my cpu clocks at 1.7Ghz all the time, generating a fair amount of heat from the vents the right hand side of the laptop.

As far as I can tell, it is working fine. I havent noticed any abnormal amounts of heat. I have been running the laptop non-stop too.....I will let you know if things change.

Interesting.

Do you happen to know which bios version you've got installed? I've got A08 here.

Many thanks.

I am running A08 as well. So I am not sure what the difference may be. I installed Windows 7 Beta Build 7000. I do not have the latest build according to what I am reading....not sure if that makes a difference.

For kicks, I left the machine on all night and noticed no more heat than usual....sorry I couldnt be more help.

Earlier solutions fail on build 7048

There were 2 hacks that worked for some people in build 7000 (beta 1).

1) XP driver
2) Exported Vista driver

These both no longer work in build 7048. If anyone has 82855 working in 7048 please post your solution.

Is anyone able to report if a working driver for the 852GM/852GME/855GM/855GMEchipset has been included on any of the latest Windows 7 builds?

Many thanks in advance. :D

Ok, take 2 on posting this.

Having similar problems to those in the thread here. Dell D505, Standard VGA Driver, which is actually ok because I only have the WVGA screen which only runs 1024x768 anyways. My issue is with the lid itself. I set the lid to 'Do Nothing' in power options and the like. I close the lid and the system continues to operate, blanks screen as it should. Open the screen, system continues to operate but screen doesn't actually "wake up". I can Win+E and open Windows Explorer (explained below), I can do whatever and it will work as though I'm using the system but I just can't SEE what I am doing. I have the power button set to Hibernate, after re-opening the lid, I can hibernate and bring the system back and the screen works again. This is where I can see what "damage" I've done in the interium w/o being able to see anything. I can see my Windows Explorer is open and so forth. I'm about to rip the keyboard off and pull the lcd button out completely because I really like how 7 is running on this thing that much, and a laptop where you can't close the lid is pretty useless to me.

I tried the DriverMax, using drivers from Vista, BSOD. I tried the Intel drivers from the Microsoft Catalog, failed to install. I got the drivers installed forcibly, and its listed in Display Adaptors, with the yellow triangle right about the working and in use Standard VGA Adaptor. Any help, with at least the laptop lid would be greatly appreciated. I can get absolutely everything else working and I don't care if I remain on the Standard VGA Driver, just want to be able to close the lid, then upon reopening it be able to use the system again.

Thought I would mention, I did remember reading somewhere last night that Intel had no intentions of updating the 852/855 driver to be Windows 7 compatible, but who knows. Then again, this pre-production Windows 7 Driver post indicates differently, but the links no longer work for the files. :(
Intel Software Network Blogs » Intel Releases Preproduction Windows 7 Graphics Driver

Last edited:
I'm having similar difficulty, since the fix presented on page 1 isn't active any longer (for build 7100, I think?). I'd love to try Windows 7 but if I can't get this to function, I might revert to XP. Please tell me there's a way!

Back