Windows 7 Viewing NIC properties

Phil

In XP it was as simple as right clicking the nic icon near the clock and selecting status, why is this excellent and user friendly feature taken away from us in vista and windows 7? Why are we forced to beat about the bush to do simple useful tasks? As a network Administrator this is extremely frustrating as its so useful a feature when troubleshooting tcp/ip settings, now it just takes longer to do the same thing. Is there away to add nic status in the right click menu of the nic icon through a registry hack?
My only work around has been the shortcut to the nic as a toolbar in the taskbar, another aanoyance as with xp it would of been a simple drag and drop onto the task bar, but in windows 7 half the stuff I would like to pin to the taskbar I can't and so have to stuff around making toolbars, unbelievable, I thought advancement in technology was to make everything more user friendly, not the otherway round, who are these clowns at microsoft, maybe they're all lin8ux and mac closet cases, sabotaging windows ass much as they can get away with?

In XP it was as simple as right clicking the nic icon near the clock and selecting status, why is this excellent and user friendly feature taken away from us in vista and windows 7? Why are we forced to beat about the bush to do simple useful tasks? As a network Administrator this is extremely frustrating as its so useful a feature when troubleshooting tcp/ip settings, now it just takes longer to do the same thing. Is there away to add nic status in the right click menu of the nic icon through a registry hack?

I'd like to know if there is a way as well,if there is a reg hack of some sort, good point.

One of the biggest pressures on Microsoft, after the bad press of Vista, was to streamline the next OS and achieve a program which used less resources.
Oddly, having done that, you can see from forums such as this, that one of the major requests is how to find some of those, now background, resources.

I can appreciate that, in your position, you possibly find a more ready need for viewing the network and all its functions, but the majority would not find the slightest interest in that capability. I am sure that is why it has been put on the backburner in the Control Panel. This is only my opinion!

I personally believe its the fact that they are trying so hell bent to make the OS as unlike and different to XP as possible that they are willing to throw out the good with the bad. I can also see their focus is to the lay home user rather than business's now, which seems to me a bit like they're shooting themselves in the foot. The two main issues that vista got bad press from what I recall was rescources and driver support, this unfortunately overshadowed the other, and for me the biggest issue, ease of use, XP had its issues, but no one would say it wasn't easy to use. I really do like Windows 7, it just bugs me that its not as user friendly, and that things that were set up user friendly in xp get taken away for no apparent logical reason other to make it look and feel different.

Last edited:
Back