Windows 7 Virus issue (potential rootkit) need help

Shadowxsx

Windows defender detected an attack and after it has been removed I am unable to access "my computer, my documents, folders I have created etc". I still have access to things such as icons on my desktop that are for games and programs but anything for file access and viewing that I get that I do not have permissions to access.

I had my Primary Admin account disabled and went in and enabled it and rebooted to safe mode and tried going in and giving my "user account" (which is an admin also) full controll over my disk drives again and it came up with alot of errors doing so (do not feel like going in again at this moment, but if you ask I will do so as I really do not want to reformat again or use more extreeme measures that may force that)

If I go into file sharing my account only has read/write access (but I can not even access it) and there is another user "unknown contact" who is owner...Apparently I got something nasty that I do not know how to deal with or bypass as this is something I have not experienced before... So any help would be appreciated before I go to extremes...

Update: Did a Sys Restore and it worked temporarily I tried changing sharing permissions and it gave errors on c:\Boot, C;\bootmgr, c:\hbierfil.sys, c:\pagefile.sys, c:\Program Files, c:\Program Files (x86), all of those are the errors I was speaking of earlier and all access denided or file in use. Any Ideas?

I Probably need to do a reformat and a clean slate as it has been atleast 5 years since I did a wipe/install, but I really do not wish to take such drastic measures and doing so is kind of a pain reinstalling everything again.

Also If I go into advanced security settings all of the listed show "not inherited" in the inherited form part (not sure if that has any meaning on this issue or not)

Hi,
you could try booting into advanced boot options (same place as safe mode) and choosing the setting 'Last Good known configuration'.

Thanks for the reply but I got frustrated enough to just do a total reinstall last night.

Tried every anti malware and antivirus (that is reputable) and they found nothing at all, even doing deep scans. Even though I keep a AV test file that registers as a virus and the AV's did not even find that file. So it was a rather nasty little bugger, whatever it was (started after windows defender found and removed kilim!rfn)

I also installed avast free today and running a full system scan atm, just to be safe along with malwarebytes

Hope all goes well and thanks for updating your thread.

Back