Windows Vista Vista bashing or just saying how it is?

hole-eeeee-crap!
You Vista fanbois are un-freaking-believable!!

I watched the so called advanced features video.
Search? Are you freaking serious? SEARCH?! Indexing and search, and those ridiculously useless "tags" are what pass for innovation in an OS these days?
Google desktop does more, with less overhead, and does it better. What a complete joke - you have to be really reaching to think that's a big boon to you - that or be a complete and utter moron.

I run Vista ultimate. It runs as well as it does for anyone. It's a completely useless "upgrade" from XP. I got DX10, which is completely underwhelming. Plus, game devs don't even give a rats arse about it any more - they code for the DX9 base because that's what everyone runs.

Why do Dell and almost every sys manufacturer out there charge $100 for an UPGRADE to XP? Because Vista is useless. You get nothing but bloated code and a slightly slower OS.
Gaming benchmarks like 3dmark are consistently higher on XP than Vista - can you explain why that's the case if Vista is not the resource hogging crapfest you know in your heart it is?

You guys should just toss in the towel. Especially you kemical - you're a freaking class a Vista moron. You know nothing about what you blather on about, and all you do is insult people.

To toss around the "you're too cheap to buy a Vista capable machine" is the biggest, loser, cop-out, don't have a real argument, drivel to drop out of the slack-jawed mouths of the knuckle-dragging Vista fanboi crews.
Of which, you guys are tops.

What games are showing this great DX10 benefit there kemical? Can't name any? Yeah - didn't think so. Name it, I've played it, in DX10 on a Vista Ultimate rig - and guess what - it aint all that great.

Just admit it. You're fans of a crap OS that MS phoned in.
Talk to someone who worked on Vista at MS - they'll explain it for you.
I have, it's enlightening.

A 'Ludite' if ever I've heard one.... So you don't like vista, so what? There are others that do and are entitled to able to do so without the blatherings of an idiot. Your entitled to your opinion of course but please keep it civil..

All I have to say is...
If you don't like Vista...
If Vista's too complicated for you ...
Your PC don't have enough power to run it...
What ever you reason is for not wanting to use it...

GO BACK TO XP!!!
We like it. :D
And for the rest of you crybabies... Link Removed - Invalid URL

I bought a new computer about a year ago, with vista on it.

I recently upgraded to XP 2 weeks ago.

Best decision I ever made. Why?

-Although blue screens were not coming often, they always came at the most important moments.

The last straw, was vista eating itself alive with disk cleanup. Yes, vista has a vital bug where you will run disk cleanup and suddenly see you can free up 40 GB or some large number. You will get excited or think it might have just been a typo, but the next thing you know your desktop icons disappear, your start menu disappears, all you see is the disk cleanup bar completing.

I lost a lot of valuable data to Vista, not to mention hours of wasted time.

I used to stick up for vista because I had had no problems. Believe me, one day all of you will be devastated by a vital flaw inherent in Vista, and you will realize how ignorant vista fanboys really are. They soon sound like people who think condoms prevent all STDs just because they haven't gotten one while wearing them.

2 weeks since I upgraded to XP, best decision I've made for my computer since getting rid of Windows ME.

"You can please some of the people some of the time but you will never please all of the people all of the time".
Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinon and without doubt many people have had problems with Vista and went back to XP.
As I've said before, I have a foot in both camps, using Vista on my main rig and XP on my laptop. That way I can be flexible and use each OS as fits the task.
I intend to go on using XP as long as it is supported but recognise, when the change to Windows 7 comes late next year, the step up will be considerably easier from Vista than XP.
I can understand why people knock Vista and go back to the safety of XP but having paid for both copies of my OS, I would not consider for a moment ditching Vista at the first sign of trouble.
One thing I would never do was "rubbish" either Vista or XP like some of the comments made on this forum.

Man, are we 'still' on this subject! It's like so last year....

Man, are we 'still' on this subject! It's like so last year....

1 year, 1 service pack later vista is still slowing down and crashing systems worldwide. It is hardly a problem of last year.

Could you point to an example of that.- assuming the complainant is using a legit copy and is not trying out unorthodox customisation?
I deal with complaints on a daily basis. The only problems being experienced in my environment are either related to the above, or are problems which probably also existed on Xp but cannot be solved by the user.

The problem the guy mentioned above about disk cleanup eating itself alive is very real and very poor programming on Microsoft's part.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

This is just one instance of many people affected by it. It is also only 1 of the many problems vista has that many fanboys continue to ignore. (And trust me, that problem does not occur on Windows XP)

Want me to go on?

Let's see, vista has a terrible VPN (any person working for any kind of real company has a VPN)
Routing and Remote Access Blog : Troubleshooting Vista VPN problems

The people in this thread don't know it, but there is a vital flaw in the Sbp2Port.sys file, which is the firewire driver for vista
DV9500t and Vista shutting down external firewire drive? - Notebook Forums and Laptop Discussion

If you want me to keep giving you real examples of real vista problems I will be more than happy to enlighten some of the more ignorant people.

Personally I see nothing in unregistered's examples that make me want to go back to XP. My copy runs just fine. I assume unregistered will still be using XP after Windows 7 comes out seeing he does not like Vista. XP was a good operating system when it was in it's prime. However, it's yesterdays news now and will be forever more.

Personally I see nothing in unregistered's examples that make me want to go back to XP. My copy runs just fine. I assume unregistered will still be using XP after Windows 7 comes out seeing he does not like Vista. XP was a good operating system when it was in it's prime. However, it's yesterdays news now and will be forever more.

Your post reflects greatly on your ability to comprehend. The point was to show you a couple of examples of huge problems vista has caused countless users. To show you that although you may not have problems, one person is insignificant compared to the large amount of people that do have/had problems.

All you have done is proven you are like what "VoiceOfReason" describes as "someone who thinks condoms prevent all STDs because that someone hasn't gotten any while wearing them"

The whole "I have not had any problems" argument doesn't prove anything other than you really do not know what you are talking about, if that's really your basis for what defines a good operating system, a few guys not having problems out of many users. If you sat down and looked at real facts then you would see that Vista really is as bad as most people say it is.

And for the record, XP is still in today's news, as it is constantly being compared to vista and praised for being far superior in stability and support. (92% of developers still develop for primarily XP). The only reason Vista is in today's news is because of it being a huge disaster. Why do you think Microsoft is already scrambling to come up with the new operating system. When XP came out you didn't see Microsoft making it very public that users shouldn't worry, a new operating system is on the way soon.

We will see if I go to Windows 7. Maybe if Microsoft doesn't code it while they are high I'll consider it.

1 year, 1 service pack later vista is still slowing down and crashing systems worldwide. It is hardly a problem of last year.

If your unsure on how to properly run a pc then I guess it still is...

I've just had great few hours gaming, playing some games using DX10 and playing some old games that are DX9. All of them ran without fault but then again I constantly update my drivers, regularly de-frag, regularly run anti-virus/anti-spyware, in fact all the things I used to do when I ran XP. I also read many sites that review cards and other hardware, most are now using vista. Sometimes you'll see XP in there just for comparison but on the whole there is a general shift over to vista. If vista was really that bad (and I use my pc for many hours during the day) I would be the first to go back to XP. In fact I very nearly did in the beginning but after some patience, SP1(some more RAM) it now runs just as good XP ever did. I'm not just saying that because I've got some sort of twisted loyalty to MS... Like I said if it ran as bad as the posters on this page would have me believe then I would be back to the old os like a shot. The thing is that it runs great,now I'm sorry if that really ruins your day but like you when I use something I expect it to work and for me, it seems, it really does. :cool:

Oh and just a word of warning... Whilst I enjoy lively discussion, flaming and trolling will not be put up with. So if you want to see what you've written remain in this thread then please play nice.

If your unsure on how to properly run a pc then I guess it still is...

I've just had great few hours gaming, playing some games using DX10 and playing some old games that are DX9. All of them ran without fault but then again I constantly update my drivers, regularly de-frag, regularly run anti-virus/anti-spyware, in fact all the things I used to do when I ran XP. I also read many sites that review cards and other hardware, most are now using vista. Sometimes you'll see XP in there just for comparison but on the whole there is a general shift over to vista. If vista was really that bad (and I use my pc for many hours during the day) I would be the first to go back to XP. In fact I very nearly did in the beginning but after some patience, SP1(some more RAM) it now runs just as good XP ever did. I'm not just saying that because I've got some sort of twisted loyalty to MS... Like I said if it ran as bad as the posters on this page would have me believe then I would be back to the old os like a shot. The thing is that it runs great,now I'm sorry if that really ruins your day but like you when I use something I expect it to work and for me, it seems, it really does. :cool:

Oh and just a word of warning... Whilst I enjoy lively discussion, flaming and trolling will not be put up with. So if you want to see what you've written remain in this thread then please play nice.

I don't recall flaming anyone, or calling anyone names.

I run computer maintenance utilities regularly as well. Not even those can save a bad operating system at the core of things. The fact of the matter is, you shouldn't have to keep maintaining your computer. XP I had to maintain every couple of months, Vista far more often.

And I would guarantee you that those same games would run smoother on XP. (The DX9 ones at least)

The only real reason to upgrade to vista is DX10, for now. Originally DX10 was vista specific because it Microsoft was going to require VRAM virtualization, as in, to be able to use normal RAM to help out your graphics card. However, Nvidia ran into some trouble making drivers for it, so Microsoft made it optional. So there is no longer any technical reasons for DX10 to be solely for Vista (though it never really was impossible for XP, just a headache and another expense). So don't expect DX10 to remain exclusive to vista for much longer with the vast majority of users and developers still using XP.

Again, you are yet another example of the person who thinks just because you have no issues with it, it is a good operating system. You need to realize that an operating system is the backbone of a computer, and especially with windows computers, a large amount of people are going to be using them. So the experiences of many far outweigh the experiences of a few.

If you are trying to prove that Vista can run as well as XP for some (although that would be an ambiguous claim), then fine, congratz, you are one in a thousand. However, if you are trying to prove that vista was a better designed operating system and that the people who "bash" it are just vista haters who can't maintain their computers, you are very wrong buddy. There is no one who can claim the vast majority of people have had a good experience with vista, and that's the fact you keep failing to grasp.

Y O U a r e I N S I G N I F I C A N T c o m p a r e d T O t h e M A J O R I T Y!

And I don't believe I flamed anyone in this post. If I have I expect a warning with examples as to where I have flamed before this is deleted.

Oh, and if you even think about claiming that high end computer users are the ones who have good experiences with vista, don't even go there. Real high end users of computers know how operating systems really work and what makes them stable etc.

I'd put a bet out there that 95% of you here are just "relatively" knowledgeable computer users. (As in, no real engineering degree in Computers. Maybe a couple of you are experienced tech help guys, but that is hardly enough to qualify you as an expert on software design.)

hmmmmm someone needs to learn the definition of trolling and flaming...maybe someone just can't handle a real debate with logical facts amidst all this vista fanatic orgy???

Well, the first problem was caused by the use (or misuse) of a registry cleaner which had deleted an entry it should not have. Microsoft, you will notice, do not have a registry cleaner. They advise strongly against their use as they ofetn do more damage than good. A registry with superfluous entries is not impeding the operation of the OS.
Perhaps the second issue is marginally within your original statement but relates to the fact that Microsoft decided to drop an old VPN concept but unfortunately did not explain the alternative set up route.
The third issue. Any new software can have deeply buried flaws. In the case of the Firewire problem - it is history. Microsoft were concerned when the problem arose and after worlwide investigation, cured it with an update. (As you will read)
Still not "crashing worldwide"
Don't misunderstand me. My preference for Windows is based on real-life experience, not just habit.Anyone is entitled to an opinion either way.
In way too many cases, people condemn operating systems or applications that they've never even used, or that they've only fooled around with for a few minutes or a few hours on a demo system at the store or a friend's computer.
In fact, some of the most adamant criticisms I hear about Vista come from some of my colleagues who have never run the OS. They'll admit that they're basing their opinions on what they've heard from others, but insist that if those others are saying it, it must be true. I hear people proclaim, "I've never used Vista and I never will" - just as proudly as they proclaimed the same thing about XP a few years ago.
There are some good, legitimate, reasons not to upgrade to Vista. If you have older hardware that's not supported and you don't want to buy new peripherals or a new machine, or if you have applications that won't run on Vista, that's a perfectly good reason to keep XP.
Fwiw. Voice of reasons complaint is an echo from your first link. The problem was not caused directly by Vista, but by misuse of a particularly heavy registry cleaner. " Why do you think Microsoft is already scrambling to come up with the new operating system." They are not. "7" is on a normal schedule, if you look back into the history of their releases.
Lorenkjr's post hardly warranted your attack. I have used Vista 32 and 64 bit heavily since early Beta releases. I have had no problems other than self made experimental ones.

P.S. Heres something to consider in this thread - but, as always, also remains inconclusive in the authors speculations.
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Good answers. Seems many people carry negative comments they pick up to everywhere they go, and sorry to say the bashing spreads. What I don't understand is why people spread negative things they seem to know nothing about? Too many posts I have seen lately lack so much substance, it's hard to make any sense out of them.

It was probably the best idea yet for Microsoft to lower OS prices a while back. It certainly gives more people a chance to get Vista should they desire to do so. Though I still find there pricing between 32 and 64 bit somewhat dumb. If you have 32 bit Vista legally obtained you should be able to upgrade to 64 bit at a reduced price. I believe though I could be wrong (as I have not followed this in a while now) that Microsoft still has not provided clear and concise pricing from 32 to 64 bit upgrade's.

A registry with superfluous entries is not impeding the operation of the OS.

That has got to be the single most ignorant comment I have ever heard from anyone who claims to know anything about computers.

\" Why do you think Microsoft is already scrambling to come up with the new operating system.\" They are not. \"7\" is on a normal schedule, if you look back into the history of their releases.
[/URL]

I think you should be the one looking back on release dates big guy:

Let's analyze this, shall we? Let's start with the last disaster of Microsoft like Vista, Windows ME. Notice the quick 1 year release from Windows 2000/ME period to XP. Why was that? Oh yeah, because ME sucked, and 2000 was just a temporary stable OS for people to use until XP came out. If you are old enough to remember, Microsoft made it very public that a new OS would be out soon. And the majority of people upgraded to XP when it came out. It may not have been the greatest when it first came out, but it was an improvement over the last two operating systems in both stability and reliability, and didn't require THAT much of a hardware upgrade to run very smoothly.

If you want to go that route about looking at release date schedules, you would realize that there has never been a regular schedule of MS releases, they are on an as needed basis, which is why Windows XP stuck around for so long. (Over 5 years, how many other operating systems on that list did that again???). Get your facts straight before making claims based upon them.

Don't misunderstand me. My preference for Windows is based on real-life experience, not just habit.Anyone is entitled to an opinion either way.
In way too many cases, people condemn operating systems or applications that they've never even used, or that they've only fooled around with for a few minutes or a few hours on a demo system at the store or a friend's computer.
In fact, some of the most adamant criticisms I hear about Vista come from some of my colleagues who have never run the OS. They'll admit that they're basing their opinions on what they've heard from others, but insist that if those others are saying it, it must be true. I hear people proclaim, \"I've never used Vista and I never will\" - just as proudly as they proclaimed the same thing about XP a few years ago.

Your assumptions are completely uncalled for. You really think all/most of the bad criticism comes from people who have never tried the operating system? This debate may be a little out of your league if you really think so. Sure some people bash it and haven't tried it, or don't upgrade from what they have heard about it. But you can't really believe that the majority of it comes from people who have never tried it, think about what you are implying here.

I have used Vista 32 and 64 bit heavily since early Beta releases. I have had no problems other than self made experimental ones.

You know what? I used a condom the other day and didn't get an STD, condoms must be fool-proof!!!111oneshiftone!11

P.S. Heres something to consider in this thread - but, as always, also remains inconclusive in the authors speculations.

You do realize that the majority of these "sales" are people who buy new systems. And what do most of the people do once they buy these new systems with vista on it? Either they have that free downgrade to XP, or they pay another 100 or so dollars and buy a copy of XP. Microsoft is minting money right now, and even the XP fanboys are oblivious to this.

Now that we are done with all of your biased and mostly unrelated claims, lets go back to the real point, the problems with vista.

Yes, it is a very valid point that registry fixers can cause more problems than they fix. However, you need to ask yourself, why does it happen in vista and not in XP. This is due to what is sometimes referred to as the UserAssist Registry key among many other registry entries that contribute to disk cleanup.

I'm not about to go into all the details for you know-it-alls, but basically this means Vista has put everything that disk cleanup uses to a very public and easily editable location. This is good and bad for obvious reasons. The fact of the matter is, by doing it this way, just like registry cleaners, it can cause more harm than good. It may or may not obviously, just like registry cleaners, and any smart programmer would realize it is not a good idea. Which is again why vista was poorly designed. And makes me and many other people wonder, what else has been poorly designed that we haven't discovered yet that may be disastrous (I certainly don't waste my time trying to discover vulnerabilities with all the inherent flaws in vista's design, but believe me, there are many more to come)

As far as the other two problems with VPN and Firewire, one of you asked for real examples of problems that have caused worldwide distress, I gave you them.

If you would like more, I can supply plenty.

Well if you say it must be true. Personally I will stick with Vista and leave my copy of XP in my desk drawer where it belongs.

Well if you say it must be true. Personally I will stick with Vista and leave my copy of XP in my desk drawer where it belongs.

That's totally fine.

The main topic I have been focusing on is the title of the thread and its topic. I just felt some people really didn't know their place when answering the original question this thread raised:

"Are people just bashing vista because it's the cool thing to do or is the criticism valid? Is Vista as bad as people say it is?"

Some people felt it had turned into a persuasion thread, as if I was trying to convince you all to switch to vista. It is a free country, People can't be forced to wear seatbelts while driving, or to wear a helmet while biking. If people want to do stupid things or use bad operating systems, I have no problem with it. Neither did Darwin.

For people to make assumptions like that guy earlier stating that most of the bad criticism is from people who haven't tried it, just makes him look like a biased fanboy who has no idea what he is talking about. Just because you have gotten it to work fine does not mean it was the same scenario for the majority of people. Nazi Germany worked for the Nazis, but it sure didn't work for everyone else.

Ok,
I used XP for a long time and enjoyed it whenever I used it. Vista gives me things I like so I continue to use it. For those having troubles with Vista certainly I understand that. Though I would think it does not exactly mean the next Microsoft operating system will work any better for them. Though the ones and I am sure there are ones who have not tried Vista so they will not know whether it works for them or not unless they try it. The only Microsoft operating system I found that was definitely not great was Me. And correct if I am wrong but, they sure abadoned that puppy quickly enough. Anyway, for me I kind of read the article a little different than you may have.

Back