Windows Vista Vista bashing or just saying how it is?

That's totally fine.

The main topic I have been focusing on is the title of the thread and its topic. I just felt some people really didn't know their place when answering the original question this thread raised:

"Are people just bashing vista because it's the cool thing to do or is the criticism valid? Is Vista as bad as people say it is?"

Some people felt it had turned into a persuasion thread, as if I was trying to convince you all to switch to vista. It is a free country, People can't be forced to wear seatbelts while driving, or to wear a helmet while biking. If people want to do stupid things or use bad operating systems, I have no problem with it. Neither did Darwin.

For people to make assumptions like that guy earlier stating that most of the bad criticism is from people who haven't tried it, just makes him look like a biased fanboy who has no idea what he is talking about. Just because you have gotten it to work fine does not mean it was the same scenario for the majority of people. Nazi Germany worked for the Nazis, but it sure didn't work for everyone else.

Actually the reason I started the thread (if you'll read my first post) is because there are areas of this os that can be improved. It was 'never' my intention to turn this into some sort vista loving thread. I'd read an article and thought I'd open it up for discussion. Many of your arguments are valid and I'm sure if you wasn't so caustic with some of your remarks many here would agree with some of what you say.
Your obviously an intelligent person but why do you feel you have to make your comments so personal? Your views and comments I welcome, the little jibes and snipes I do not.

The tone of this thread has become too hot for me. I bow to the wisdom of "unregistered", and will stop subscribing to it.
Fwiw. I am not a "big guy" ot close to it. Just a satisfied Vista user, trying to help others to achieve the same satisfaction.

I'm thinking of starting another thread called "XP bashing or just saying how it is"
Any takers?????????? Just kiddin!!!!!
Seriously, this thread has been "done to death" and forum users need to start looking at other issues.

In all honesty, I was just bored.

I'm not stupid, I know there are many aspects of vista that are far superior to XP, that I'm sure many of you take advantage of. I was just curious how much you people all really knew about what you were talking about, because of some comments I read in this thread before even posting.

And Kemical, re-read your first post again.

I think many of this forums users will recognise the fact that it is 'in vogue' to bash Vista. I feel that the writer of the article seemed to have a particular axe to grind with MS and he would have bitched about any MS product not just Vista.

It was at the end of your post, your conclusion if you will. Do not insult my intelligence. However, I do agree with you a little bit especially for retards like the author of that article. It was obvious he was just a raging mac whore who thinks he is an authority on windows because he DOESN'T use windows. Typical example of someone who has no idea what he is talking about, moreso than many of the so called 'experienced vista users' here.

But alas, I digress. You guys cured my boredom while I am in the process of moving.

If any of you were offended, don't be so tight-assed, it's just an online forums to talk about computers, this is not your life.

If it makes you all feel any better, there was actually a report given out a little while ago, that Nvidia was the cause of most of the worldwide vista crashes, not microsoft. They were not just having trouble with the DX10 stuff as I hinted at earlier, they were having trouble period, which I left out. You guys can google it if you don't believe me or want more info, I don't feel like explaining more.

Vista is doomed though, as much as you all will hate to admit it, and as much as it has improved in a year. You don't just have the linux and mac users talking shit about your new operating system, you have the majority of current windows users as well. If any of you are going into business, you'll realize what a disaster all this negative criticism really is. Things like the Mojave project and still supporting Windows XP are just ways to recover a large amount of lost money. I hope you people are smart enough to realize this, otherwise you really shouldn't be running a computer forum.

On the bright side though, if Microsoft has any idea of what it's doing (which I used to think so but am not sure of anymore with their new CEO), then windows 2009 or whatever it was called (windows 7?) will rock you and everyone else.

Don't do drugs, stay in school. There is this new game some of you should consider, better than DX10 graphics. Teaches you not to be so sensitive too. They call it RL, it's amazing, it really is.

If your waiting for 7 then read this:
Link Removed - Invalid URL
I'm glad we entertained you for a while and I suspect under all that blather and bravado you could be quite entertaining. Oh and my my you actually agreed with some of what said, lordy we are honoured. Oh and the next time I'm deep in a vertical pothole system or on some mountain I'll think about your little quip on real life.

Well put Kemical. To take a small piece of the response of one person to the mentioned article. I happen to like Vista, it works, and stop beating a dead horse to death already. Linux is no option on my end, and thats a period quote unquote. OSX is no option for me either, gee I wonder why. Like I said XP was great when I last used it but, go back to it no thank you. It simply does not do anything I want or need at this time. Maybe Vista is doomed or whatever but, unless I get another new machine anytime soon for me who cares as the OS subject is moot at least on my end. If Vista really did not work for me at all sure I would go back to XP. Fact is Vista works and works well for me, so if by chance you happen to be right that Vista is doomed, my congratulations to you. Other than that what could I possibly say to enlighten this otherwise one sided conversation.

Well, I have to say I am having many problems with my Vista System. It is an HP computer that I did a clean install on, battled the problems along the way and hoped the SP1 would resolve - but unfortunately, did not. In fact, even weathering the BSOD and connectivity issues, I would argue I am having more unexpected problems today than any time along the way.

Not bashing, really I am not. But I think Vista will go down as the worst operating system of all time. There is just so many bugs that not even OFF! Skintastic can help, and I am perplexed how a company of Microsoft's stature could have released such inherently flawed code on the masses that is still Beta software at best.

So many bugs? Where? If what your saying is true than I suspect I would be typing right now since I am using Vista. But, whatever your opinions may well be shared by the majority but, I rather suspect the majority is not here. Just for curiousities sake, what's wrong with registering here? Obviously we do it.

And one other matter, unless Microsoft takes a sudden turn for the worse Windows 7 will be Vista so from what I understand why would you even bother?

Stop kissing Vista ass here mate, this operating system is beyond bad for many and my CPU fan just now was spinning so fast from CPU overheating, it nearly flew out of my computer and mowed my lawn.

Clean Install here. Brand name HP power house PC. Brand name hardware inside. You are trying to say people like me are not having problems of such frequency it is absolutely bewildering? I differ the point.

Vista seems to be getting worse for me, especially with the most recent Windows update. This operating system sucks the cashbar. It is absolute and unequivocal garbage for my money! And yes, I paid good money to be subjected to this!

This should not be a fanboi website, but a tell all like it is. And this is what it is, for many!

What are your problems exactly? Let us know and we may be able to offer a solution..:)

Too numerous to mention, but here are the main ones.

- CPU Usage has gone astronomical. Houston to Vistadome, we have problems. This is a recent phenomenon. I have not installed any software lately that would seem to justify this other than a fairly large (most recent) Windows update that provided video-card, Ethernet-card drivers, among other Vista-related patches.

- More blue screens than a hollywood set. Only now the BSOD are becoming much more ominous. The latest: "Windows vista has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer". Just lovely. The software I buy for good money is trying to destroy my hardware.

- In the start menu I can no longer right click on the CMD prompt to go to admin mode. Device Manager also does not work in a similar way.

- Upon resuming from hibernate, I lose my mouse functionality. The keyboard works, but the mouse does not and this forces me to reboot to regain functionality. I recently found a workaround by hitting the start button and selecting the button next to the "lock this computer" button. Minutes ago I tried to re-create this and the system crashed forcing me to lost about 10 minutes worth of typing here which I will not bother to recreate in such detail.

The list goes on and on, but those are at the top of my headache list.

Specs. Note the system originally had XP installed. I DoD cleaned my HDD and did a clean install of Windows Vista Home Premium. As for programs I downloaded since the clean install. Mainly top-rated anti-virus, spyware programs. (AVG, Spybot, Spywareblaster). These were working fine for some time. Even though I had major problems from the getgo with the Vista install, my system has took a nose-dive down for the worse, recently.

Product MPN
MPN pc098a#aba
Key Features
Form Factor Mini Tower

Processor Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz

Chipset Intel 915P

Installed Memory 512 MB (DDR SDRAM)

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition

Recommended Use Home Use
Processor
Processor Type Intel Pentium 4

Processor Speed 2.8 GHz

Processor Manufacturer Intel

Socket Type Socket LGA775

Processor Upgradability Upgradable
Motherboard
Bus Speed 800 MHz

Video Output Interface AGP
Memory
RAM Technology DDR SDRAM

Installed RAM 512 MB

Max Supported RAM 4 GB

Number of Memory Slots 4 x 184 Pin DIMMs

Installed Video Memory 128 MB

Supported RAM Speeds 400 MHz

Installed Cache Memory 1 MB
Technical Features
Integrated Input/Output Ports USB 2.0 x 7 • FireWire (IEEE1394a) x 2 • RJ45 Lan Port x 1 • PS/2 Mouse x 1 • PS/2 Keyboard x 1 • Parallel Port (ECP/EPP/SPP) x 1

Expansion Bays 2 x 5.25" (External Access) • 1 x 3.5" (Internal Access)

Expansion Slots PCI Express x1 x 1 • PCI x 3

Other Features Hyper Thread Technology Ready
Hard Drive
Hard Drive Capacity 160 GB

Hard Drive Interface Serial ATA

Hard Drive Rotation Speed 7,200 RPM

Controller Type Serial ATA
CD / DVD
Optical Drive Type DVD+RW

Optical Drive Read Speed 12x (DVD) • 48x (CD)

Optical Drive Write Speed 24x (CD-R) • 8x (DVD+R)

Optical Drive ReWrite Speed 10x (CD-RW) • 4x (DVD+RW)

2nd Optical Drive DVD+RW

2nd Optical Drive Read Speed 12x (DVD)

2nd Optical Drive Write Speed 8x (DVD+R)

2nd Optical Drive ReWrite Speed 4x (DVD+RW)
Audio / Video
Graphic Processor ATI RADEON X300 SE

Video Out Ports 15 Pin D-Sub VGA port x 1 • S-Video x 1

Audio Input Microphone Jack • 1 x Line In

Audio Output Type Sound Card • Headphones

Integrated Audio Intel High Definition Audio Subsystem • Realtek ALC880

Video Input Type TV Tuner
Modem
Modem Type Fax / Modem
Networking
Networking Type Integrated 10/100 Network Card

Data Link Protocol Ethernet • Fast Ethernet
Dimensions
Width 7.5 in.

Depth 16 in.

Height 15.5 in.
Warranty
Warranty 1 Year
Miscellaneous
OS Certified Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition

Release Date 18 July, 2004

Product ID 22453205

Hmm.... well if you want to give it another go I recommend doing this...
1.Clean install of vista.
2.Then turn off the(optional) UAC (to stop the annoying pop-ups in the task bar go to the security centre,look down the left hand side and click 'change the way windows alerts me'. You can now choose to stop the pop-ups).
3.Set the update utility not to update automatically.
4.Then using the 'standalone version' (you can download it from the support section and put it on a disk) immediately install SP1.
5.Download and install the latest drivers for your chipset,graphics, sound solution and anything else required.
6.Now go back to the update utility and set it to 'check for updates but let me choose to install them', now check for updates. You may see some 'optional' updates appear for your graphic card ect, being as you've already intalled the latest version, right-click on these and choose to 'hide the update'.
7.Install any third part software such as anti-virus, ect
Hopefully this should give you a relatively trouble free install. Your machine is definately up to running vista although I couldn't see what your graphic solution was..
Good luck.. :)

Hello and thank you for taking the time to provide a thoughtful reply. Other than your SP1 suggestion being installed immediately (obviously not available at time of install initially), I did what you said to the letter when I first installed it.

Not sure I want to go the Vista route again and do another clean install, because I have all my media content (media center PC) on this PC. I will have to think about my next move. I know something needs to be done, we shall see. Thanks.

Hello and thank you for taking the time to provide a thoughtful reply. Other than your SP1 suggestion being installed immediately (obviously not available at time of install initially), I did what you said to the letter when I first installed it.

Not sure I want to go the Vista route again and do another clean install, because I have all my media content (media center PC) on this PC. I will have to think about my next move. I know something needs to be done, we shall see. Thanks.

Ok, no problem...
Good luck in what ever you decide to do.. Oh and if you do need some advice when you do then hopefully we might be able to help :)

Thank you Kemical & Lorenkjr.

I think I can...I think I can...I think I can. :)

Take care to all. Logging off.

Update: I did a DoD (7 writes) clean install on my PC with Vista. I lost a full day on it, including the arduous task of transferring my media files, but I am hoping it was for the best.

Critically, I took your suggestion Kemical and turned off my automatic updates to make sure I installed SP1 first (right after Vista install) without the impurity of the other fixes that prove to compete with Vista and cause problems. Once the SP1 was installed, I then checked available updates and a decent percentage were no longer needed due to the SP1 install.

I believe if these pre-SP1 files are installed first, as I did initially, it creates problems when SP1 tries to overwrite the code and improve the stability of the OS.

Anyhow. So far, things seem more stable. Hope the feeling lasts.

Take care and thanks to Kemical et all for all your help. Appreciate it.

Update: I did a DoD (7 writes) clean install on my PC with Vista. I lost a full day on it, including the arduous task of transferring my media files, but I am hoping it was for the best.

Critically, I took your suggestion Kemical and turned off my automatic updates to make sure I installed SP1 first (right after Vista install) without the impurity of the other fixes that prove to compete with Vista and cause problems. Once the SP1 was installed, I then checked available updates and a decent percentage were no longer needed due to the SP1 install.

I believe if these pre-SP1 files are installed first, as I did initially, it creates problems when SP1 tries to overwrite the code and improve the stability of the OS.

Anyhow. So far, things seem more stable. Hope the feeling lasts.

Take care and thanks to Kemical et all for all your help. Appreciate it.

Hopefully it should prove it bit more stable (fingers crossed) but anyhow I totally agree about the service pack being introduced after a clean install. When they first released it the blurb said that it rewrote a fair portion of the kernal and I thought to myself that just applying the pack sort of anyhow just wouldn't do. The full benefit would be seen with a clean install and 'then' the pack being applied...
Good luck with the install.

Good morning Kemical. And your hunch seemingly proved spot on. Good call. Things definitely seem more stable on my end thus far. Once again, thanks.

Oh, and the mouse/sleep problem I mentioned previously persisted after the clean install. I think I may have solved it, though.

After doing a Google search, I tried the solution that was proposed by a person going under the name denzeljordan (see below). I think it may have just done the trick. So far, it works.

I share it here with the board in the interest of greater community and benevolence. I hope that it may help others that may find this board doing a similar search. Take care, I am logging off now.

-

Mouse pointer disappears in media center..
by denzeljordan - 10/7/07 12:23 PM
In reply to: Problem is bigger than that -- this is a real bug by kenmo2007

The solution is simple. Go to control panel->mouse->go to pointers tab->uncheck the option "enable pointer shadow"->apply the settings and the problem is fixed.

Back