Windows Vista Vista bashing or just saying how it is?

Sounds like real progress has been made and I hope you will now have a more enjoyable experience with Vista. It can be a lot of fun when all is working right.

Thanks Lorenkjr. Things have been more stable to be sure, but a few days later and some of the past issues are cropping up again. Like the case of the hyperactive CPU fan. Mine is ready to mow the lawn again. Damn. Disappointed to see this resurface.

Either way, I'll be logging off and weaning myself from Vista in order to lower my blood pressure. No point in me getting all riled up again.

Thanks again to all Kemical and yourself for contributing to my case. Take care.

Hmmm... when the fan starts to go nuts do you notice what your doing at that particualar time? Obviously if your doing something intensive you'll expect it. I sometimes notice my fan starts to increase when I'm looking at a busy web page for example..

P.S.
Have you considered purchasing a quieter fan for your set-up? If your still using the stock set-up supplied with the CPU it may be worth considering some of the new heatsink/fans now on the market..

Good morning Kemical.

Not particularly other than coming out of hibernation mode minutes earlier. I think Vista has serious issues with its hibernation or sleep mode for many users. Even though things are more stable since the clean install, this issue particularly irks me and hope MS resolves it in the near future.

Take care.

Addendum. Sorry. No, I have not considered purchasing a new heatsink/fan at this time. With the price of PCs falling markedly since I purchased my PC, I may be in the market for a new PC in the coming new year (I know not even Labor Day and I say this, but it will get here faster than we think).

Thanks for all your help.

I had hibernation problems when I was using the onboard Nvidia 7100 graphics. When I swwitched to the Nvidia 8500GT PCI-E graphics card those problems went away.

Good morning/afternoon Lorenkjr. Thanks for your insight. Not sure I want to sink new money into this PC, but am warming up to the idea of a new PC in the early new year. Perhaps driver/card issues could be resolved by then and transition will be seemless regardless of what video card is inside. Either way, my PC is indeed more stable than prior to my clean install. So I can afford to be more patient.

Thanks again to both of you, I am logging off now.

I can certainly understand on the new PC. It's going to be a while before the economy comes back, and likely a long while. Anyway. I would say if possible get a PC with a PCI-e card. 256 meg's is fine for most things and the upper starts at 512 meg's or so. Now should be noted here that on the PCI-e cards that I have (256 meg. ATI HD-2400 and Nvidia 8500GT the gpu core runs hot which is normal) you need for reliable operations to have say 350 watt power supply and up. There is nothing wrong with the gpu running hot on any video card that I know of as they are supposed to do that. Just you need a good size power supply to be sure it gets it's fair of power without hurting anything else.

Back