Windows Vista Vista not running right after Skype Install

gregmosu

I installed Skype the other day for a class I'm taking, and now my laptop isnt running right. While I work, I like to open new internet explorer windows instead of using tabs... and sometimes if I'm busy, I can get as many as 18-20 different instances of the browser running. This has never been a problem until I installed Skype. Now I get about 12 windows open and the system starts to freeze up. I can't open anything else, and can't even open links w/in the browser. If I close a window, it'll allow me to open a new window.. but eventually it locks up to the extent that I can't open or work with anything. No one else in the class has had this problem. It's almost like there's something running in the background which consumes more and more resources.

Here's what I'm running:
Compaq Presario C700
Vista Home
-laptop is only a month or two old, and has only Norton antivirus, Office suite, and now Skype running on it.

You don't mention how much RAM your running but it does sound like your memory is struggling, hence the lockups. Skype is another process that requires RAM and if you only have so much then eventually your going to reach it's ceiling. Purchase more RAM if you can or open less windows and use tabs instead.

I have 1 gig of ram. This has been more than enough so far. But lately it's almost like there's a process running in the background that keeps forking and eating all the memory until I need to reboot. I run antivirus once a week, so it's definately not that.

It seems Celestra may have found the source of your pains but I still think it's RAM based. Mind you updating drivers is always a good idea. As for Vista and RAM... You should really be looking at 2GB of RAM for the ideal scenario as Vista is very RAM hungry.

HI!! Skype is not listed as compatible with Windows Vista, however not to worry. There is some talk of a special download driver especially for Skype. The site for the download is: Zolved - I need drivers for Skype to work on Windows Vista! Make sure you check this out with your computer manufacturer. As to how to do it, maybe Chemical can help you out.

Actually, Vista is listed as being a supported platform for skype. But it would make sense that it's skype that's causing the problem since this all started after the skype install. When this class comes to an end I'll get rid of it and then I'll know for sure. Thanks for your replies.

When you say browser are you talking about IE? This sounds like you have spyware or adware on your system, not from Skype.

Actually, a lot of people have been having a problem with Skype, hence, the article I mentioned above. I did read that Skype was not among Microsoft Vista's recommended programs, however, maybe Skype is trying to modify it's program for Vista which is probably the case.(I carry only defensive software).

I did not read the link that Celestra posted but have you tried installing Skype without the IE plugin that it installs by default? I don't run near so many instances or tabs in IE as you do but I installed Skype without the IE7 or Firefox plugins. Maybe you could reinstall Skype without the plugins and see, just a thought.

I thought at first it was spyware or adware too, but while in safemode, I ran Norton Antivirus and found nothing.

It's not that often that open up that many IE browsers, but lately when I do research for a paper, I've found myself having over 10 instances of IE running. I probably should just be saving each site in my favorites instead of minimizing the window.

I think I'm just going to try and uninstall and see what happens.

Back