Windows Vista Vista Sound warbles intermittently

taraire

Hi,
From time to time while using Windows Media Player, and I click on another programme/option/icon, the machine freezes, the sound sticks as if it is a very fast CD stuck on a track creating a fast warbling noise. This last for about 3 to 5 seconds then there is a loud click in the PC case and my second drive starts up. Everything then goes back to normal. This peculier event happens at least once a day. It started around the time I added an extra 2 Gb RAM, but this doesn't seem to be a related cause. Any suggestions as to cause or solution would be welcome. Thanks.

Vista 32 SP1 4Gb (3effective)RAM ;Intel core 2 DUO; Asus P5B deluxe mb; Gigabyte 8800GT ; On board sound; 400Gb + 160Gb HDD; Chimei 221D display

You could try a number of things although checking the RAM would be the first thing to do.
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Use the utility found at the above site (all instructions are provided) as it is possible to buy bad RAM though rare. Check one stick at a time .
If you don't the fault may be missed.
You could also try updating your sound drivers.
One last thing, check the manufacturers site that makes the drive and see if there's a firmware update.

Back