Windows Vista Vista Spanish to English

mattyoaks

Honorable Member
I bought a laptop with Vista Home Premium preinstalled, but tje language is Spanish, can somebody please tell me how to change the language from Spanish to English. Do i need to reinstall Vista or can i change it without doing so? I didnt get the CD with the laptop... Should i have got one? I bought it from Expert in Spain.

Thanks

Hi mattyoaks,
Change the display language

The display language is the language that Windows uses in wizards, dialog boxes, menus, and other items in the user interface. Some display languages are installed by default, and others require you to install additional language files.

1. Click the Keyboards and Languages tab. ( found in control panel)
  2. Under Display language, choose a language from the list, and then click OK.
    Note
    • If you don't see the list of display languages, you need to install additional language files first. For more information, see Install a display language.
This was copied and pasted from 'Help and Support'. You'll have to also change keyboard input and so on. All this can be found via the control panel and 'clock,region and language'.

Most likely you can just install an English Vista and use the same key (check your key - it is not the one you see on the certificate on your computer) - but first check that there is a SLIC table in your bios. If all this scare you - keep your spanish version. Good luck.

ill give it a go but im not so clued up... my friend is so maybe he can help me translate... thanks for your help...

i do know how to reach the BIOS and change stuff there... how hard is it to check the SLIC table and what does it do...

Im planning on going to the shop where i bought the pc and asking for the windows CD... shud any CD have the Eng option or do i have to buy a specific Eng version of Vista...

Hi mattyoaks,

I'd try the control panel and 'clock, region and language' using the above guide or use the help and support that comes with vista.

quote'
Im planning on going to the shop where i bought the pc and asking for the windows CD... shud any CD have the Eng option or do i have to buy a specific Eng version of Vista... quote'
When you first install the os your asked which language you want to use but to be safe, make sure it's a default english language disk but I'm sure it doesn't really matter

Ok i think i might try the Control Panel route... The problem is that its all in spanish:) Maybe you could show me step by step with screen shots_ Thanks

Hi mattyoaks, I did some hunting around on the web and unfortunately it seems that unless your running Vista 'Ultimate' you cannot change the installation language. Here's one web page I found:
Link Removed - Invalid URL
So it looks like you might have to visit that shop after all although I'm going to do a little more research to see if there's an alternative. Hmm... seems like there isn't I'm afraid.... sorry man :(

Back