Windows 7 Vista to 7 Upgrade--Slow Boot up Time

nolephin

I upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista and I have noticed the boot time is slower than it was with Vista. I tested my bootup time through a program and it took 194 seconds for my comp to boot up.

My question is would making a clean install of Windows 7 solve this problem and make boot up times much faster?

Before you do a clean install could you check and see how many duplicate files are left hanging around after a vista to 7 update?

In my tagline there is a link to Speed tweaks. I got my system down to 17 seconds boot time by taking out a lot of features and services that are not needed on a typical home setup.

tblount.

Is the 17 second start when you turn your compuyer off and the icons come up or do you waiy for the system to fully boot

I'll have to try mine and see what it is. But I have a cheap E-Machine wuth 1 GB of RAM woth a 3.0 experoems score.

Tblount,

How do I check to see where the duplicate files are? That sounds like it could be the problem. I would love to get my start up time anywhere near 17 seconds.

Thanks.

This freeware utility does an excellent job, but do not mess with the operating system files ijn the c:\windows\system32 directory

Easy Duplicate File Finder

[SIZE=+2]FEATURES[/SIZE]
  1. Search for true duplicates (files with same contents)
    Powerful search engine with fast files check
    Full binary (byte-by-byte) comparison
  2. Flexible Scan settings
    Search files by masks
    Size conditions & skip zero-length files option
  3. Find duplicates from selected folders or drives
    Add multiple folders/drives for scanning
  4. Safety
    Protect system files and folders
    Move files to Recycle Bin or delete duplicate files permanently
    Mark selected duplicates by renaming them with adding prefix to file names - to test which files is safe to delete
  5. Convenient user interface
  6. Duplicate file management - remove only unnecessary duplicates
    Select files manually (for deletion) or use flexible selection options
    Rename duplicate files with prefix/postfix
    Move duplicate files to folder
    Open folder containing selected file
    Show file properties
    Open file with associated program
  7. Full Unicode support
    Support for files with Chinese, Japanese, Arabian etc names
  8. Export list of duplicates to HTML document or to TXT file

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
  1. OS: Windows 95/98/Me/2000/XP/Vista
  2. CPU: 400 MHz or higher
  3. RAM: 128 MB or more
  4. Hard Drive: 5 MB of free space
Yes, it does run on Windows 7

Tblount,

How do I check to see where the duplicate files are? That sounds like it could be the problem. I would love to get my start up time anywhere near 17 seconds.

Thanks.

I use one in Windows 7 Manager ... but there are many others.

I've had a few people tell me that after they fixed everything in the logs recorded by "Identify the cause" link below.. and then applied the Speed tweaks, they saw significant improvement in performance.

There are many, many system files located in different directories.

Look at these search results:

Every time I install an application, I go to that directory ans see if these system files exist. If the version is higher in the C:\Windows\system32 directory, I delete that file from the installation directory.

Yes, I keep a clean machine

I can't quite read the image... but the only duplicates I have are 3 icons. I am guessing that your dupes are actually just log files. .xml ?? I had about 50 logs duplicated after running all the diagnostics I list in the link below.. but I deleted them and ran the clear log batch file.

No, in Folders options, I have checked Show hidden file and folders, uncheck hide extensions for known file types, unchecked Hide Protected operating system files.

There are many, many system files located in different directories.

Look at these search results:

Every time I install an application, I go to that directory ans see if these system files exist. If the version is higher in the C:\Windows\system32 directory, I delete that file from the installation directory.

Yes, I keep a clean machine

Hold the phone.. I just got a better look and see you have tons of .dll files. It looks like you did an upgrade? Something about that picture just ain't right.

I have never done an upgrade since the initial beta was released.

If you were to use my File Finder program , you would get similar results on your computer.

Sorry to bother you guys, but I am not really too computer savvy.

What exactly do I need to do to reduce the boot up time? Something about deleting duplicate files? How would I do that exactly?

Once again I apologize, I am not that literate when it comes to these kinds of things, excuse my ignorance.

Step by step instructions would help a lot, thank you again guys.

I have never done an upgrade since the initial beta was released.

If you were to use my File Finder program , you would get similar results on your computer.

Boy do I feel stoopid... you are right on. That progrm finds a ton of dupes. I think I'll go sit in the corner for a while.

Tblount,

I am reading your Tweaks and Tricks Tips article and am currently in the process of disabling the 4 features you have listed there.

Here is to hoping this solves the boot up time problem.

There is a LOT more you can disable, including about 30 unneeded services and 150 scheduled tasks.

It's easy to turn them back on if you have problems or don't see better results.

There is a LOT more you can disable, including about 30 unneeded services and 150 scheduled tasks.

It's easy to turn them back on if you have problems or don't see better results.

Are all these unneeded services and scheduled tasks in that same file??

Back