Windows 10 W10 Cumulative Update (KB3140745) Fails

Cincinnatus

I've been trying to get my laptop (HP Envy 15T CTO) to install Cumulative Update KB3140745 with no luck. The machine gets stuck on 'restarting', and I have to power off. I have tried to jump directly to 3140768 by way of a standalone file downloaded from MS, but my machine rejects it with an error "this update is not applicable to your machine". I've tried SFC and DISM tools, neither show any corruption, so that's not the problem.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

If you were suggesting I download and manually apply the update, that doesn't work either, I've already tried.

If only it were that easy. Per my OP, I have already tried SFC and DISM commands with no errors reported. Something's preventing the system from updating, and it's really annoying because the fan on my laptop is running like mad.

Hi Cincinatus! I don't know why your fan is running like mad. You may need to clean the dust out from the vents.
You could try a in place repair install!!
You could do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything other than all installed Windows Updates.

This tutorial will show you how to do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do a repair install of Windows 10.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

Hi Cincinatus! I don't know why your fan is running like mad. You may need to clean the dust out from the vents.
Please don't mistake me for a newbie user. This is obviously something more advanced than you're accustomed to dealing with, so I'd appreciate it if you'd let someone else reply. Thanks for your help.

I've been trying to get my laptop (HP Envy 15T CTO) to install Cumulative Update KB3140745 with no luck. The machine gets stuck on 'restarting', and I have to power off. I have tried to jump directly to 3140768 by way of a standalone file downloaded from MS, but my machine rejects it with an error "this update is not applicable to your machine". I've tried SFC and DISM tools, neither show any corruption, so that's not the problem.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Have you tried clearing the cache or similar?
Windows Update stuck downloading updates in Windows 10

Back
Top Bottom