Windows 10 W10 UPGRADE RESULTS on JULY 30th 2016

BIGBEARJEDI

Fantastic Member
Premium Supporter
Hi everyone:

For those W10 upgraders anxiously awaiting to see whether your upgrade to Windows10 would stick or ask you for a Credit Card payment after the July 29th deadline: GOOD NEWS!! This morning I checked 3 of my machines that I've upgraded to W10 for Activation status; and they all still show Activated.:up: Hooray!!:D 1 of these machines was my Sony Vaio laptop I upgraded back in Jan. 2016, a Dell desktop I upgraded in Feb. 2016, and the 3rd machine I upgraded just yesterday on July 29th, the final day of the 1 year free trial of W10.

The next big hurdle will be if these machines can keep their Activation after the upcoming Microsoft Anniversary Update due out next Tuesday, August 2nd, 2016. Based on what we are seeing today, and information gleaned on other forums including the Windows10 Insider Hub forum (for Beta testers of Windows10), there should be no change in terms of requiring payment to keep your W10 Activated and working.:cool:

Best of luck all,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

I'm hoping the Anniversary Update might make Windows 10 better. I don't think Windows 10 is my favorite OS, but it's better than Windows Vista.

Yeah, davehc and a couple of the other guys already installed it from the ISO file that Mike Fara posted this week, and say some things are better. Mike said Cortana is more informative and accurate in answering her questions. It will be interesting to see if she if as sensitive to criticism as last year...(a long story!).

I really really like W10 and haven't been this excited about a new Windows version since W2k. I have it running on 5 of my machines here at home, and several client machines. Feedback has really been good.:teeth: I'm about to do my 3rd W10 workshop at my local Computer Club in 2 weeks teaching folks about all the awesome features, and new stuff in W10.

Cheers! :up:
BBJ

Yeah, davehc and a couple of the other guys already installed it from the ISO file that Mike Fara posted this week, and say some things are better. Mike said Cortana is more informative and accurate in answering her questions. It will be interesting to see if she if as sensitive to criticism as last year...(a long story!).

I really really like W10 and haven't been this excited about a new Windows version since W2k. I have it running on 5 of my machines here at home, and several client machines. Feedback has really been good.:teeth: I'm about to do my 3rd W10 workshop at my local Computer Club in 2 weeks teaching folks about all the awesome features, and new stuff in W10.

Cheers! :up:
BBJ

Well that's interesting. I just think the Anniversary Update would be great, because it would've made W10's features better.

I have it on a test laptop at work and it broke the authentication to our wireless. It does have some cool features some you will only get with E3-E5 enterprise licensing
  • The login and lock screen are a bit different (mostly looks)
  • Windows Defender now has a cloud analysis piece so it has better detection
  • In E5 licensing you can compartmentalize encrypted business data on a BYOD system and if they leave your company you can remotely wipe the company data.
  • There are more settings available to configure, but I haven't looked through them yet.

Nice, neemo! A couple of weeks ago we also had that OP that posted the question about the new synchronization problem. Remember that guy? I believe we discovered that his company was also using an enterprise domain network in order for that feature to work. It will be interesting to see if the Corporate & University folks like this feature or not. It looks quite interesting. Now, if I can only get my 2008 R2 server fixed...:confused:

I don't have any Clients here where I live running newer MS server versions. There are a few businesses such as the Hotel chains like Holiday Inn (I live in a rural resort community) who are running Server 2000 or Server 2003; don't know whether those guys would work with the new enterprise client features or not.:scratch:

Nice, neemo! A couple of weeks ago we also had that OP that posted the question about the new synchronization problem. Remember that guy? I believe we discovered that his company was also using an enterprise domain network in order for that feature to work. It will be interesting to see if the Corporate & University folks like this feature or not. It looks quite interesting. Now, if I can only get my 2008 R2 server fixed...:confused:

I don't have any Clients here where I live running newer MS server versions. There are a few businesses such as the Hotel chains like Holiday Inn (I live in a rural resort community) who are running Server 2000 or Server 2003; don't know whether those guys would work with the new enterprise client features or not.:scratch:

I don't get of how people still use older servers, which Microsoft doesn't even provide nowadays. Shouldn't they just upgrade to Windows Server 2012 or 2016, since that's the most recent versions?

Well, New York, you've probably never worked on a corporate IT position then.:blink: In every meeting you have to go to in order to justify this very expensive capital equipment purchase there will be 1 or more accountants, CFOs, CPAs, or other flavor of executive bean-counter standing in your way of getting such new very expensive equipment.:furious: They have about a million reasons to deny you the money you need to do your job. I spent untold thousands of hours writing Justification Documents which read like Master's theses to try and buy a $2500 server, or a corporate license of Microsoft client software such as MS Office. In fact, the last one of those I wrote a request for $768,000.000 give or take, and when the P.O. hit our CEOs desk, reports were that he just about had an aneurism!! :shocked: He did sign it, but it took about a year to get that done. He never smiled at me again for the rest of my tenure with that company.:bigtongue: ;)

Most companies would rather spend money on anything; new sales training, new websites, new uniforms, new buildings, new corporate jets, etc. etc. than spend money on network infrastructure. I could write an entire book about everything they want to spend money on EXCEPT new networking and computer equipment!:greedy_dollars::greedy_dollars::greedy_dollars:

That may serve to answer that question a bit.

Cheers!:D
BBJ

Well, New York, you've probably never worked on a corporate IT position then.:blink: In every meeting you have to go to in order to justify this very expensive capital equipment purchase there will be 1 or more accountants, CFOs, CPAs, or other flavor of executive bean-counter standing in your way of getting such new very expensive equipment.:furious: They have about a million reasons to deny you the money you need to do your job. I spent untold thousands of hours writing Justification Documents which read like Master's theses to try and buy a $2500 server, or a corporate license of Microsoft client software such as MS Office. In fact, the last one of those I wrote a request for $768,000.000 give or take, and when the P.O. hit our CEOs desk, reports were that he just about had an aneurism!! :shocked: He did sign it, but it took about a year to get that done. He never smiled at me again for the rest of my tenure with that company.:bigtongue: ;)

Most companies would rather spend money on anything; new sales training, new websites, new uniforms, new buildings, new corporate jets, etc. etc. than spend money on network infrastructure. I could write an entire book about everything they want to spend money on EXCEPT new networking and computer equipment!:greedy_dollars::greedy_dollars::greedy_dollars:

That may serve to answer that question a bit.

Cheers!:D
BBJ

I suppose you make sense on that answer. It may seem hard to get a newer Server version, since it's more about making businesses than personal uses. Maybe that's why people don't use it a lot, compared to the well known Windows versions.

Hi new to forum I have had a massive failure with recent anniversary update. Lagging issues and non responsive commands.

This afternoon my laptop completely froze, I was unable to even enter safe mode option and was forced to do a complete hard reset.

This was all due to the recent update

Hi new to forum I have had a massive failure with recent anniversary update. Lagging issues and non responsive commands.

This afternoon my laptop completely froze, I was unable to even enter safe mode option and was forced to do a complete hard reset.

This was all due to the recent update

I also had problems with the upgrade. I did find doing a clean install worked for fixing all that I had trouble with including what you said. Back up your files first and try a clean install. Hopefully that will work for you to.

Hi Derek,
Sorry to hear about your upgrade issues.:( We are well aware of this problem, and several other users have also reported this. We are awaiting a solution to appear, possibly from Microsoft as it's now been reported. I will tell you that last week one of my very good Clients got a failed update attempt on one of his 2 computers, and it's one he does financials on with QuickBooks for a local non-profit for. Both his computers are on W10, one of which I personally upgraded. It's a very strong possibility his crash was caused by a failed AU (Anniversary Update). He lost his printer, Internet, and access to his QuickBooks, and got lots of error messages. I had him do an immediate shutdown for 15 min. and he rebooted, it slowly improved and the problems resolved and after several reboots all was working again; but that computer did NOT RECEIVE THE AU!! He was still at v1511 b10586.494; where he was at before the failed AU came into his computer.o_O

If you want to read more about our efforts to solve the problem, use the Search feature at the top of the Windows Forum home page and search on "Anniversary Update", and put in my User name: BIGBEARJEDI.

As soon as we can get a solution for this, we will post it so subscribe to follow this thread.

Best of luck,:teeth:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Last edited:
Back