Windows 7 W7 killing router?

Ok now that my thread has been derailed, anyone have any ideas on my original problem?

Router is not over heating from what i can tell, coldest room in the house and isn't very warm to the touch.

I don;t really want to go out and buy a new router only for it not to help since it doesn't seem that anyone has made any W7 friendly networking gear yet. Does anyone recommend any tools to help diagnose network errors or anything that could monitor my router for errors? Or are there any type of MTU tweaks or anything known out there for W7 i could try?
Sorry we strayed from your question......there is a line testing analysis from 1 of my trusted sites dslreports.com. You may have to register...but once you do you will be able to tell what degree of your packet loss is coming from your isp. I've personally used this report to get Comcast to look further into the packet loss I was experiencing. The reason I'm suggesting this is it sounds to me that your problem could possibly be on the ISP end. Try the link, the test will take a couple of hours, and please repost. The test your looking for is line quality testing

Speed tests and problem diagnosis tools - dslreports.com

When the router drops have you looked at your W7 events log? Check for an error condition during the time frame that you have the problem. Go to control panel, select admin tools, event viewer.

Ok now that my thread has been derailed, anyone have any ideas on my original problem?

Router is not over heating from what i can tell, coldest room in the house and isn't very warm to the touch.

I don;t really want to go out and buy a new router only for it not to help since it doesn't seem that anyone has made any W7 friendly networking gear yet. Does anyone recommend any tools to help diagnose network errors or anything that could monitor my router for errors? Or are there any type of MTU tweaks or anything known out there for W7 i could try?

As I said before man. Your problem sounds like the problem a lot of older Linksys owners are having, and it's not the router cutting out, it's your windows settings causeing your network adapter (in your PC) to crash, if you've got another PC you can plug that into the router to see if it stays connected when the Windows 7 machine has DCed.

I've yet to find a concrete solution but it seems to have something to do with older routers/cards not likeing IPv6 so you should start by disableing that from the Network and Sharing Center. I've also read posts from a few people claiming they managed to fix it by forceing W7 to rollback to Vista drivers but that hasn't worked for me. I also put my W7 PC on a static local IP which seemed to make it a bit more stable but I might just be imagineing it.

Maybe check the firmware on the router as well and update it if necessary?

Yeah actually...a few people have said that replaceing the Linksys firmware with the Tomato third party one helped. Make sure you know what you are doing though or you could brick your router.

Its not the adapter, i have 3 PC's on the router and they all disconnect. I physically went and check the router during a disconnect and it was restarting itself after what im guessing was a forced crash

As i stated in my original posts ive tried many different firmwares, however not the tomatoes one, and i have tried disabling IPv6 to no help either.

Ill check the events later and post results if there are any, as well as most likely try the 3rd party firmware

Could this be an MTU size issue? What is the router MTU size? May be caused when a retransmit occurs and W& sets MTU larger than router can handle????

UpDate

Hello,

I have read through the entire thread, I would like to forward an update on my (seemingly similar) situation.

I had an AirLink101 MIMO xx525 wireless (and wired) router, that failed here (worked great at my GF house)

I replaced it with a D-Link DIR-615 wireless N router (with a internal four port switch) it worked for a while then did the exact same thing as the AirLink101 router, which was random disconnections and reboots.

I placed an old UPS fan that I salvaged from a Gigantic college backup unit years ago (it is 110v ) about the size of a larger case fan from a PC and it is simply blowing over (and under) the D-Link router.

I haven't had one reboot or disconnection from my network since.

as for my network: One old VAIO with Ethernet connection running WIN 7RC, one newer Vista machine with an Ethernet connection, one newer Toshiba laptop running Win 7 RC with a wireless N connection and one new laptop running VISTA with a G connection.
I did change the router setting to broadcast on ch 11 and to use WPA-AES, as the WPA2 seemed to hose it up faster.

as of today I am up and running with no seeming problems

now I will admit I have some experience with network configurations and problems as I have been a BETA tester for about 8 years, for MS, NovaStor (some heavy duty backup systems tape drives SCSI and network backups WHEW) and others

and it seems sometimes the simplest resolutions are the resolutions.

so Please don't flame me when I put forward a solution as it worked for me.

I also listened to one person that said that a OS cannot Overload a router and on the surface I accept that, however my solution seems to be working (here) with two different routers of different manufactures and I have never had this problem until Win 7 RC (even the BETA worked without a problem, figure that one out)

Good luck in all your quests for solutions.

Jones

Back