Windows 7 W7 Random freezes

Berk Alyamac

Hello!

So I will get right to it:
I'm using Windows 7 SP1 on a quite capable machine.
I'm getting random freezes, and what I mean by that is programs just freeze and wont respond.
Games , Opera and Skype freeze for sure but the task manager manage to stay awake for long enough for me to do a basic overview of the problem.
CPU usage of all programs drop to 0 but the memory usage slightly increased.
The Network usage dropped to 0 while some of the cores of the CPU were being used a little.
That is all I know.
The freezes take about 30 seconds to 1 minute and appear at random moments and Screw me up really good.

My system specs are:
System Specs and OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
Graphics card - AMD Radeon HD 6850 (1 GB by Sapphire)
CPU - Phenom II X4 840 Quad Core (3.2GHz, 2MB L2, 95W, AM3)
RAM - 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance
Motherboard (built in soundcard) - Gigabyte 990FXA-D3

Drivers are up to date (I think...they were when I last checked, MB drivers are Up To Date for sure)
Please help it is quite irritating.
Thanks in advance.

Soooo how it all started?
Did you just install Win7 and these freezes started immediately or you had Win7 for some time now and they started just out of the blue?
How old is your hardware? What power case you have?
You said that the freezes take about 30 seconds to 1 minute and appear at random moments, does that mean your programs resume on working after those 30-seconds-to-1-minute period?
More discretion please, cause in cases of freezing it sort of says nothing when you say I have this and that and it freezes.

Update: Hello and welcome to forums by the way, sorry for being rude(((

Soooo how it all started?
Did you just install Win7 and these freezes started immediately or you had Win7 for some time now and they started just out of the blue?
How old is your hardware? What power case you have?
You said that the freezes take about 30 seconds to 1 minute and appear at random moments, does that mean your programs resume on working after those 30-seconds-to-1-minute period?
More discretion please, cause in cases of freezing it sort of says nothing when you say I have this and that and it freezes.

Update: Hello and welcome to forums by the way, sorry for being rude(((
Yes they resume and and It started right after I re-installed.

I don't really think that it's CPU's fault, I mean wouldn't it turn out to be at least BSOD, or worse consequence if it was a faulty CPU. I guess it's somewhere on the software level, if freezes started after a fresh install of OS.
Then again, drivers are up to date. Yet, call me ludicrous, but I never trusted Radeon, and even though it is a good VC, I would still re-install drivers if I were you (t.i. delete and install a fresh, up to date copy from the internet, or you could try updating if possible). Don't know if it will help though.
Also, you could try increasing your virtual memory. It's a great help to your PC at some point, also as an experiment, you could try disabling it and see if helps, but that probably won't help.
virtual memory: Computer->system properties->advanced system settings->performance group box, click settings->advanced tab, virtual memory group box.

Last edited:
Back