Windows 7 Wake On WAN Via Internet From Anywhere Problem

Karim Kahale

Hi all,
the past 2 weeks, I spent more than 24 hours searching for methods to wake on WAN but the tutorials were so confusing regarding the port forwarding.
I have already done wake on lan over local network or local wifi but I couldn't do that from outside my company.
Can someone describe how can I wake up my computers wherever I am using internet?
Thank you so much for your support.

Doing what you want to do apparently needs some work. I think patcooke's advice is good. "This can not be done with one click".

Doing what you want to do apparently needs some work. I think patcooke's advice is good. "This can not be done with one click".
Yes I do know that and I have already succeeded in waking my computers over a local wifi but I got stuck on waking up my computers from anywhere using a router where I can do some port forwarding.
I actually read a lot of tutorials but each one talked about a different way which confused me.

Are you referring to a situation where you want to wake your work computer from home? If so, how do you access the computer from home?

Could you use a scheduled task to wake the system instead of the Network Adapter?

You will have to request your company's IT to setup a VPN on your home computer to be able to get access to your company's network. To get into company's private network from public or home network, you have to get past the company's security by having a verified access. And VPN setup is one way to do that.

Hello,
I had similar wake on lan problem with my Realtek NIC.
I solved it by installing vendor NIC driver from Realtek website.

Back