Windows 8 Want to download Win-8.1, and install with my key...

sammytruck

I bought this Acer V5-472-6893 laptop just a while ago. Want to dual-boot it with Linux. But first have to wipe the six partitions on this drive.

THEN... make a partition for Windows 8.1, and for Linux.

So I used JellyBean to find my 25-digit number. Just need a copy of Windows 8.1. Secondly, "system" doesn't say whether my installed copy is home or pro.....?

Help, please...............

1. Linux is not compatible with 8.1 … you can do it but I don't recommend it.

Assuming you need spare space that the six partitions (do not remove the efi partition) are holding then delete them back to "unallocated space" because there is no such thing as a partition that supports both windows and linux. With that done you can then install a linux into this blank space.

2. Don't use JellyBean to find a windows 8.1 key!

The first line in the "System" window tells you what version you are using. My guess is it is the OEM Home edition.
I understand you have found the cd key in your Windows 8 installation?
Otherwise, download and install "Speccy" (Free) which will give you that info and full details of your computer. Far more info than in the built in system tools program
http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download

If you disable the uefi in your bios, and then make a full image of your existing installation, using Macrium or a similar program, and include the MBR. You could then install a linux distribution in a second partition of its own and, after that recover the image to its origianl partition.. If you then use Easybcd, you can add the path to the linux OS as a dual boot.

Last edited:
I suppose a couple of points. I don't think you can install Windows 8.1 using an OEM key and a downloaded .iso. You will probably need the OEM version.

Many folks have trashed their systems while trying to do dual boots with Linux. So whatever you decide, do something to make sure you can recover your system back to its current condition. Don't rely on just the OEM or Windows 8 repair options.... Some type of System image would be a good option, and make sure you have any factory images protected somewhere.

Edit: I like to take the original hard drive for the system and put it someplace safe. Use a replacement drive for any testing or installing then you can always replace the drive in case of warranty or repairs are needed. This also gives you experience with creating and restoring a System Image.

1. Product key finder that can see the new msdm keys;

I use pkeyui... get it from here http://www.chip.de/downloads/c1_dow...863&v=3600&s=dc77e84af87dec3a8f82a5b826fb731a

2. Windows 8.1 does NOT have a mbr entry unless installed in legacy mode… that’s why it is incompatible with Linux.

3. Installing a normal windows 8 iso onto a blank hardrive within a system that has a msdm key will work… the install will automatically detect the key without you needing to do anything but this type of install then needs to get the manufacture drivers from the Acer website in order to make all the extras work properly before you upgrade to 8.1.

That works great for finding the key. But if you have installed windows media, it will show that key instead of your windows 8 key.

To be clear; the new msdm keys are on the motherboard and pkeyui will still detect it (assuming there is one on your system) as well as the current media key.

msdm.png

Back
Top Bottom