Windows 10 We couldn't complete the update

bochane

Excellent Member
One of the updates for my nice old Acer One (High Definition Audio) does not install.
As we can't select updates, we simply have to install them all, that nasty failing update appears in all subsequent series of updates, which causes them all to fail.

I think we really should have the opportunity to ignore or select updates

Many of us have had similar experiences with drivers and apparently with will be fixed with later builds. Even if you tell the windows update utility not to update drivers it still does. Let's hope it's fixed soon..

I found a way out.

First of all I disabled in the Device manager the audio device. This made that the Realtek High Definition Audio update was skipped, which opened the way for following updates. And that worked.

Then I loaded the Realtek High Definition by hand from the Realtek site.

Google is your best friend, I found this site: How to fix: Realtek Audio Driver won't install:
http://kb.stonegroup.co.uk/index.php?View=entry&EntryID=289
and followed the advice to increase a time-out
And, happy me, it worked, GREAT!!!

Regards, Henk

Yeah we've also found various ways around the WU. Just a word to the wise, if you leave the WU to tick over on it's own all seems well but we've found that if one initiates a search for updates then chances are that windows update will install the driver again.

Hi

It keeps reinstalling and messing up my audio drivers every few days, some times I can get by for a week or so.
I copied the sound blaster install disk that came with my computer to the hard drive and installed it from there.

Now most of the time if I uninstall my Sound Blaster card in Device Manager and reboot it gets the drivers from the hard disk and it works when it is back up and running again.

If it doesn't I have to remove it again, run the install software from the hard drive and when it reboots it works.

Just tonight it forced me to reboot so it could mess up my sound but the remove and reboot process got it back up and working again.

Mike

Why not going back to optional updates for drivers? That would have avoided a lot trouble. I even have seen NLE's not working at all, with newer versions of the video driver...

Not happy with this update policy!

Mike.
Have you tried going into the old legacy Control panel - System, and selecting "Advanced system settings", over on the left.
Click on Hardware Tab in system properties.
Click on Device installation settings.
Select No, Let Me choose what to do.
Select "Never install driver software from Windows Update".
Save changes.

I have read reports that this does not seem to work, in a few cases, with Windows 10.

I have my updates (in the new Control Panel), set to "Notify to schedule restart". I have a look first, before I schedule, or "restart now", to make sure it will not interfere with any work I am currently doing.

Otherwise you might try the hack to bring back the old update interface, but I believe this can result in problems for updating though future builds.

Kemical,
You are right again. Windows insisted on installing its own driver. But I was lucky. Previously, update trials were timed-out and subsequently cancelled. The solution I found was setting the time-out period much longer. With this time-out the official update installed well.

Added:
Again, I would be much happier when we could decide for ourselves if a driver needs to be updated

Last edited:
Hi Dave

Yes I have done that....

Update%20Settings_zps9qfdlhas.jpg

It's been set like this for quite a while, but it seems to totally ignore these settings.

Mike

Back