Windows 7 Weird problem conerning online personal folder

Daguerre

Hi everyone,

I have a weird problem, made a lot of research on the internet without any conclusive solution so i hope anyone could help me.

Here is the problem:
People in my school have their my documents linked to the map drive F: which is on a data server.
For example, When the code gigueref works on a PC and saves his data it goes directly in his F:\ (\\dataserver\user\gigueref).

Usually it goes all well, but i have a very weird problem right now: Sometimes and even rarely, when people works in Windows 7, their online folder name changes to "Documents".

So the f:\(\\dataserver\user\gigueref) does not work anymore since the new name is Documents.

When i do click on the "Documents" on the server, the name of the link is... (\\dataserver\user\gigueref) ! :confused: So it's the good name, i don't even see the word "Documents" in the name!

It can happen to many person and they all get the name "Documents" and their F:\ does not work anymore. The think they lost everything.

Is there anybody ever saw this kind of weird trouble?

Nice day to you.
Dag

Any number of issues can cause problems with local drive mapping to network based shares.
In a domain environment (not clear from your post) group policy objects responsible for folder redirection could conflict with local drive mapping, as well as login scripts running when the user logs on may contain conflicting drive mapping.
Something as simple as attaching an external hard drive or usb thumb drive or even a printer with ports for inserting SD cards, may assume the F: place when drives are enumerated.
Try moving the mapped drive higher up the alphabet to compensate maybe N: of S: just not something like F:
And of course any type of physical network issues even brief or intermittent can result in a mapped network drive becoming unavailable.
It's not clear from your post exactly how you are accomplishing your drive mapping.
Through Group Policy (if so what are you using for a domain controller and is it service packed, updated with patches and hotfixes), or logon scripts, or local offline files and folder redirection with client side caching or just simple Windows Explorer drive mapping as it seems you are indicating from your post above.
Is this something that just started happening, have you added or updated any local (client) security suites?
Does this only happen to Windows 7 clients?
Do you have any downlevel clients in your environment (XP, or Vista) and do they seem to have the same issue?

Last edited:
Thank you for your answer!
In a domain environment (not clear from your post) It’s pure Windows (AD) group policy objects responsible for folder redirection could conflict with local drive mapping, as well as login scripts running when the user logs on may contain conflicting drive mapping. OK, but how would this cause to change the name of a folder?

Something as simple as attaching an external hard drive or usb thumb drive or even a printer with ports for inserting SD cards, may assume the F: place when drives are enumerated. This is not the problem here, i checked.

And of course any type of physical network issues even brief or intermittent can result in a mapped network drive becoming unavailable. I don’t think so since it happens only for the people who uses Windows 7 (30 PC out of 270 that are XP’s)

It's not clear from your post exactly how you are accomplishing your drive mapping. It’s the central that is doing that. Pretty certain it’s a login script.

Is this something that just started happening, have you added or updated any local (client) security suites? It had happened a few times since september (in fact since the first W7 have been installer in the school).

Does this only happen to Windows 7 clients? I verified and each person i saw used Windows 7 at least once. Three of them almost never use PC’s and last thrudsday they worked on Windows 7 platform and their personal folders changed names. This is why i’m pretty certain that Windows 7 is behind all this.

Finally, i made an error in my previous post : Even if the folder change to « Documents » user scan still log in with the F :. It just that i see lots of folder called documents and because of that i cannot know whcih folder is from what person.

Again, what are you using as an AD domain controller, or probably more importantly what is the domain functional level? It's possible that some group policies especially those that are a product of 2k or 2k3 AD, are not being interpreted properly by the Win7 machines. Perhaps taking a look at the local event viewer on a machine that is having the issues may reveal some additional information, filter for event errors with a source of userenv.
How do you typically recover from the problem, can the issue be fixed by logging off and logging back on or a reboot, or does it persist for a or those specific users or even a or those specific machines.

Last edited:
Back