Windows 7 What antivirus and spyware software (free) is the best to use?

Turge

What antivirus and spyware software (free) is the best to use?
But it should be free without putting a serial because then you can't update it.

Thank you very much, Ben.

The best free antivirus I have found is Avast. I currently use Vipre but that is not free but is the best.
pvanc

As far as the free AV's goes, MSE & Avast 7 (new version) are the only two that I can recommend. Make sure that you install the free version of Malwarebytes (MBAM), they'll give you a 14 day trial of the Pro product. Run a full scan at first opportunity after install & every month thereafter, even more often if you notice a sudden computer slowdown for an unknown reason.

Avast will even give you a 20 day free evaluation of it's Internet Security, after the time is up, it'll revert you back to the free version. But for only $19.99 per year, the special that they'll offer you, perhaps 3 PC's for $29.99 on the last day, that's a great deal. But I'm not trying to sell you anything, just letting you know what they'll offer.

One feature that I've always liked about Avast is their Boot Time Scanner option, where you schedule it to scan at reboot, it does a better job of scanning outside of the Windows environment. I'm surprised that more AV companies don't offer this option.

Whatever you decide, stay away from AVG & Panda, they're both resource hogs, and AVG combined with Windows 7 equals BSOD's. I've read thousands upon thousands of forum posts in regards to this. Just stay away.

Best of Luck,
Cat

From someone in the IT business, I have had experience w/ several securities, both 1st hand & through my customers. No fuss, no muss, no money & no infections... MSE, no question, no hesitation. Simple, free, small footprint, fully auto, no annual ritual & does a terrific job of both viruses & malware.

Cheers,
Drew

From someone in the IT business, I have had experience w/ several securities, both 1st hand & through my customers. No fuss, no muss, no money & no infections... MSE, no question, no hesitation. Simple, free, small footprint, fully auto, no annual ritual & does a terrific job of both viruses & malware.

Cheers,
Drew
I agree with you on this, well said. I run MSE on my 2 installs of XP Mode, and have no complaints. The latest version, 4, is better than the previous one.

I've also not heard from anyone (w/o proof) that MSE causes high resource usage & BSOD's. Any user that says MSE is causing problems has other things that needs attention. The scanner, by default, limits resource usage to 50%. The user can adjust this to suit their needs, like I do on XP Mode on my desktop. I only allow it 30%, due to it being a low spec PC.

MSE 4 runs perfectly fine on all versions of XP, Vista & Windows 7. Like my recommendation above with Avast, one should always install Malwarebytes as a second opinion malware scanner. Unless in active mode, it consumes no resources. In Trial Mode it does, but it's usage is minimal.

Cat

Malwarebyte's Antimalware is a staple, works well with MSE. Other programs that can help are ccleaner and wise registry cleaner, I also like wise disk cleaner. These cleaners help to clean out MRU's, BHOs and other nuisances. (and all are FREE:) ) these programs will clean up your ie and speed up your browsing nicely.

Last edited:
Yes, absolutely. MSE, Malwarebytes & CCleaner. And Internet Options, Delete & Delete. I, also, use & recommend SpywareBlaster; w/ manual Updating, it's free, too - SpywareBlaster - CNET Download.com. As far as Disc clean-up, I strongly suggest this which, I'll call Disc Clean-up on steroids:

Disc Clean-up:

Familiar is > C:\ > Properties > General tab, there's a Disc Clean-up button OR drill down to System Tools & it's there, too. However, then, select drive(s)* one wants done, hit OKs, wait for 2 windows, go thru list putting in checkmarks, etc, etc.

Some may know > cmd, Run as Admin & type cleanmgr tuneup:n to do Disc Clean-up. This, I suggest, is much better... more items listed, after 1st time no need to recheck boxes and *does ALL drives...

> cmd, Run as Admin
type or paste in %SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr
/sageset:65535 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535
, hit Enter
Hit OK on the window that appears, after checking all boxes the 1st time this is run...they stay checked when it is run subsequent times.

Cheers,
Drew

yup, sagerun:65535 beefs cleanmgr up nicely, good for cleaning out windows.old and other debris.

MSE 4 or Avast Free 7, along with MBAM, are the best free choices available on the market. One good thing about Avast 7, it now has cloud based technology that protects the user between auto definition updates (which takes place several times per day). Once the threat is known, all users who are connected to the internet are protected.

For a while now, when one installs MBAM Free, they automatically offer a 14 day trial, it's almost the same as Pro, but the active protection is the same. Many times, at least once a month, Newegg has MBAM Pro for 50% off of full retail price. This is for Lifetime protection. I've never paid over $15 for this software, once only $12. Sometimes, Newegg even throws in a 4GB Flash drive to sweeten the deal.

The great thing about MBAM Pro (& the free trial), is that if one opens a download that's carrying a payload of malware, it's stopped in it's tracks. Also, it even stops many Web pages from opening from known malware sites, this is a very effective way to prevent malware from getting on your system. Plus it complements both MSE & Avast Free, or most any AV/IS suite.

The bottom line is, we have good choices that doesn't cost a cent. For years, that's the way I ran, Avast Free protected me very well between 2002-2009, until I tried MSE. MSE 4 was recently released, now I'm trying out what will be it's successor, just as I ran MSE 4 for 6 months before the general public got to. I get invited by MS to do this.

There's absolutely no reason, as in zero, why any computer user shouldn't run AV protection. The old excuses of "high resource usage" or "it slows down my computer" no longer holds water. Both of the 100% Free choices that I gave uses little resources, & MBAM Free only uses a little when ran. Even the Pro version has virtually no impact on performance.

It's also irresponsible not to run security software. I've heard the excuse "it's my computer, I'm willing to pay the consequences for what happens". That's not entirely true, & is BS. One infected computer on the net can infect thousands, especially the neighbors in the immediate area (those on the same main line), & I've seen this happen. If the user who makes this statement as an excuse paid up, the cleanup costs could easily go into tens of thousands of dollars.

For those who wishes to check behind their AV to make sure it's doing it's job, here's a good second opinion online scanner, & I highly recommend it, even to those who uses paid security products.

ESET :: Get a FREE Online Virus Scan

This is best ran from IE, as more advanced options can be checked for during the scan.

Cat

Cat,

I will agree about Avast. I ran it myself & put it in customers' machines for years before MSE.

Now, running w/out security... True, it's wrong, dumb & foolhardy BUT, more than that, because of how it is dangerous to others due to bots, & the spreading of worms, viri & infections, I frankly feel it should illegal, as in a crime. I can equate it to having unprotected sex when one is IV positive.

Cheers,
Drew

I agree Drew, it should be illegal. Note that on many sites, although many users clicks through these things w/o reading, the user is agreeing not to infect the site & there can be penalties for doing so. But enforcement is lax. This is a big part of the problem.

This is exactly why most all ISP's gives it's customers some form of security software (usually an IS suite) for free. Even their terms of service contains clauses for the customer not to be spreading viruses. Here's my "Acceptable Use Policy" from EarthLink.

EarthLink Policies & Agreements - Acceptable Use Policy

Spreading viruses & much more are covered in this link. In other words, the ISP can, at it's sole discretion, disconnect service at any time, w/o notice, for violating the terms. Most all other ISP's has the same or identical terms.

Yes, it should be a crime, with fines imposed (more with each conviction) & possible imprisonment for those who refuses to comply. In today's society, the majority of us, has & depends on the Internet for various reasons. For me, who can't get around as well as others, it allows me to shop in the privacy of my home, pay bills, as well as various forum participation (not limited to computing).

I feel that I (& everyone else) has the right to a virus & malware free Internet experience. Personally, I feel that most of us has no intention of doing harm to others, but by not running security, puts everyone at risk, when it's totally unnecessary. I'll repeat once again, there's free security for all Windows users, & no excuse not to run it. There's also free security for Linux users & has been for years.

Cat

I time, few yrs. ago I had a client just outside Calgary using a satellite IP. The IP had contacted them saying they were suspending their service cus they was crap coming out of their home & to get a tech in to clean things up, after which, they could/would have the service back. I think there were 3 machines in the home. The IP agreed to allow the service so I could work on things. I finally found the problem. Turned out the kid had been grabbing every piece of garbage offered on the Net that allegedly would 'clean, fix & protect' a computer... except these very things were themselves 'BAD' & were what were sending out infections. Once I found & remove them & put in security & tools that were, actually GOOD, everything was ok & the IP, knowing what I'd done re-instated their service.

Cheers,
Drew

Back
Top Bottom