Windows 7 What is my Win 7 Disk (32/64 bit)

balzan

I found a Win 7 disk at school but I wanna know if it is 32 bit or 64 bit.

Anyway of checking? (without installing it and checking).

If it is a legal copy of Windows 7, it should say on the disc whether or not it's 32 or 64 bit.
If you "found" it, you'd be better of not installing it anyway, since that's illegal as it's not your licence.

Did you also find the box with it? That would also provide the information.

If it is a legal copy of Windows 7, it should say on the disc whether or not it's 32 or 64 bit.
If you "found" it, you'd be better of not installing it anyway, since that's illegal as it's not your licence.

Did you also find the box with it? That would also provide the information.

Its not a legal copy mate, nope. I got a legal code tho (I lost my original disk somewhere in my drawer :p)

Here is a strongly worded message of advice. If you have in any way come across this software, and may know who the owner is, whether it is the school itself, or one of your classmates, it is your moral and ethical obligation to return the copy to its rightful owner(s). Because you already have a license (as you call it a legal code), is of little consequence, since this is actually an issue of property rights and not intellectual property rights. You should really, dutifully, check with your school and find out what their lost and found policy is. Think about what the right thing to do in this situation is. I will assume, under good faith, that your license is legitimate and has not been stolen or misused. If you lost your disc, but still have the license key, you can usually call Microsoft and request a copy of the DVD media by providing them with the license key. I would really urge you to consider returning this copy. If you have a license and need x32 or x64 versions, you can usually contact Microsoft, with your license, and request the 64-bit version.

If you do not know whose copy it is and you simply "found it", you may be entitled to keeping it. This all depends on the laws where you live. It also depends on the circumstances surrounding where and how you found it. In most places here, in the United States, you are under no obligation, legally, to return lost goods to their owner. But the policy of your school, and even the laws in your country, may be quite different. You should really consider what the right thing to do is in this situation. Remember, someone paid good money for the software, and you should try your best, within reason, to locate the owner.

Your question, however, is quite easy to answer. Access the disc and right-click on Setup.exe. Go to Digital Signature. For both OEM and Retail copies, the 64-bit version was digitally signed after the 32-bit version.

That signature is dated ‎Monday, ‎July ‎13, ‎2009 9:43:53 PM

If you go to sources\install.wim on the 64-bit disc the file size is exactly 2.66 GB (2,860,840,523 bytes) with a MD5 checksum of ef7568343e34699d84d1dc51c3edafe7

You can verify a checksum with WinMD5Free (google)

The 32-bit setup.exe has a digital signature from Microsoft Corporation dated ‎Monday, ‎July ‎13, ‎2009 9:17:39 PM.

The 32-bit sources\install.wim is 2.03 GB (2,188,587,580 bytes) and has a MD5 checksum of 9aa533b86005488a7f490cf2c57e5597

If you are already running a 32-bit OS and try to run setup.exe on the disc, and it doesn't work, this is the 64-bit version. You can run the 64-bit or 32-bit version from 64-bit, but it will warn you about it being the 32-bit copy if you go deeper into the setup.

Every copy of Windows 7 has the same bits, but has different configuration files based on which one was purchased. Remember, software piracy is illegal, so be careful with what you are doing, and make sure you really did "find this". Maybe you can also "find the owner" and order a replacement disc from Microsoft for *your* license key.

Thanks for the help mate.
I found a COPIED disk (just Win 7 burned on a normal empty disc) and I kept it in my bag for a week, waiting for some1 to come to the class and say If some1 found a disc bla bla, but no1 came. This happened last Feb and till then I changed school so its too late now.

Thanks for the rest of the info ;)

Back