What Is The Cheapest, Lightweight, Antivirus Software

trymeout

Hello all,

I lately been trying to find a simple, lightweight antivirus program for my PC and my Android phone. Many antivirus programs have all of these features now like VPN, child/parent watching, encrypt files/vault storage, password managers and so on. All I want is a antivirus that protects you on the web, scans your storage for viruses and maybe even a firewall which would be nice.

But I also want it to be lightweight so not hard on my PC since I have a gaming PC and I used some antivirus programs such as Norton and Avast and they end up slowing down my PC. I heard there is a new way to solve this which cloud computing antivirus which runs in the cloud so your device doesn't use much of its resources which I would like to get.

I don't care if its free or requires a subscription but along it has privacy in mind and does not harvest data from yourself. I understand if it may discover a new virus and wants to grab it from the user to review it but many online services like Google I stay away from since they live off your data.

Any suggestions and tips will be most helpful!

I've been a user of Webroot for at least 10 years and have been happy to watch their product evolve over the years. It is by far the smallest footprint and lightest on resources on your system. Roughly 8MB of drive space and about 25MB in memory. Webroot works very differently from any other product. It does block the tradition types of malware such as keyloggers and known threats. The other feature of it is that it will mark suspicious processes and journal everything they do. After the process is analysed if it is deemed bad Webroot will roll back everything the process did and remove it even ransomware and any files that get encrypted.

A single license is around $29 or you can do the higher level protection for $44 which is 3 licenses and will run on your smart phone too.
Virus Protection For All Your Devices | Webroot

I 2nd Webroot!
I used to use Kaspersky and yeah it was highly rated and did a good job it was very heavy on system resources and installed all kinds of stuff I didn't want like a VPN.

Webroot does a great job of protecting you. And is extremely light on system resources. AVs like Kapsersky, Bit Defender, and Avast are resources hogs!

You also get an Android version with a regular license. It's easy on system resources on Android as well.

If you have any questions about Webroot as @Neemobeer he's really helped me when with my questions about it.

If you are looking for the best antivirus I can recommend you to use Kaspersky. It is a well-known software taht is used by a lot of people nowadays and updated at once new viruses appear in network.

Last time I checked F-secure had a "GAMING-MODE" that you may switch to when needed. And it is is on of those who always stays on top in every test.. Either That or home.sophos.com

Hello all,

I lately been trying to find a simple, lightweight antivirus program for my PC and my Android phone. Many antivirus programs have all of these features now like VPN, child/parent watching, encrypt files/vault storage, password managers and so on. All I want is a antivirus that protects you on the web, scans your storage for viruses and maybe even a firewall which would be nice.

But I also want it to be lightweight so not hard on my PC since I have a gaming PC and I used some antivirus programs such as Norton and Avast and they end up slowing down my PC. I heard there is a new way to solve this which cloud computing antivirus which runs in the cloud so your device doesn't use much of its resources which I would like to get.

I don't care if its free or requires a subscription but along it has privacy in mind and does not harvest data from yourself. I understand if it may discover a new virus and wants to grab it from the user to review it but many online services like Google I stay away from since they live off your data.

Any suggestions and tips will be most helpful!

If you`re a windows 10 user. In Windows 10, you don’t need any third party security. Windows 10 comes with built-in security called Windows Defender.
It is quite enhanced security by Microsoft and capable to protect your PC from any virus attack. I have been using in my Windows 10 laptop and haven’t got any issues so far.

The lines between the terms virus and malware are blurred, when in reality malware encompasses any malicious software. A virus is malware that's more focused on spreading the infection. Cylance has very impressive detection technology and is worth the money for sure.

Bitdefenner 1 At one time I was mistaken about using Avast.and Agv. Now, I no longer accept others who change the software infrastructure.
And don't focus. And make changes without informing the user.

Last edited:
Hi ool
About 3 months ago I got an offer for 20e year / 3 device not android phone and Bitdefenner had been 3 years ago at 15e expense and I was happy with its function telling me why it was blocked. page / program.
Thank you for the protection you have given you to put it my bak ears to remember the thing THANK YOU. Cheers!
Spirit Wolfe

Last edited:
Just saw this malware test with Cylance. And it didn't do too well. Here's the description of the video. I like this guy's videos because he tests in a VM, again a ton of malware etc, and uses other second opinion scanners against the results.

It let a bunch of malware through but blocked ProcessHacker, for example. Looks like it still have some time before it gets polished.

From the video description
"Cylance Smart Antivirus claims to be a next gen AI engine that can detect zero day malware with intelligence? Let's see how it fares against 1500 fresh malware samples, including ransomware, PUPs, and also how it compares to other popular AV solutions."

So what do you guys think?

Yeah, well I think made some good points at the end about it being good for organizations because of the small footprint, very simple interface that only IT would be dealing with and how organizations are locked down unlike a home PC is.

And yeah he threw a lot at it but it also should be able to handleany of those specific malware. It just had me wonder if the AI behavior based protection software isn’t mature yet for home users and how we mess up our systems, know what I mean?

The enterprise edition has several additional features that the home version doesn't and may make a difference in stopping some of the threats quicker.

Back
Top Bottom