Windows 7 What is the clicking I hear?

wilhelm1

Okay, I installed a SSD in my laptop and I hear clicking sometimes opened my dvd tray yet I still get it. What is clicking, was not aware that chips click, are there any relays in a SSD Drive?

I thought it might be the wireless mouse attached to the USB port but it is not that.

Last edited:
When do you hear it? (If you leave it off for a long time? Or after it has been on for a while?)
No clicks that I am aware of in an SSD, it would be like a memory module clicking.
Could be something ticking the cooling fan, maybe try blowing it out.

It is crazy, every time I use my mouse or when I use my finger to move the cursor I get 2 or 3 clicks (audible). If had a HDD, I
could understand it maybe but since the HDD is gone. It is not the fan for sure. Since u mentioned Memory Module clicking do
they? Something is sure clicking in my laptop can't hear it without my hearing aids though. IT occurs when the screen changes.

Was in my email account and every time I deleted an email, with the mouse, the laptop clicked one time for each delete push/

Edit Update, I found the culprit the Speakers have to be Muted and the clicking goes away. Now onto my next problem of how to get updates to allow me to upgrade my IE to 11

Last edited:
That could possibly be some sort of system sound, which may be a product of your theme pack or something you've enabled under personalization.
Please check and make sure that is actually coming from your laptop and not from your laptop speakers.
Right click any blank area of your desktop and choose personalization.
At the very bottom of the screen where it says "Sounds" and displays a music keyboard and music notes click that and in the resultant window "Sound" select the drop down arrow in the top box labeled Sound Scheme:
and choose "No sounds".
See if that stops the clicking.
AND
No memory modules don't click.... Not unless you rub your stocking feet vigorously on a nylon carpet and touch them. :)

Last edited:
@Trouble, apparently you are running a diff. OS, IE or Winor what ever. I am not able to do as you listed above. Just going to live with the clicking maybe it will go away when I get to IE 11. IF Microsoft ever gives me the updates I need, they are slow as "Mo-Lass-ess". While I am at it, want to buy a thumb drive to use as a backup any suggestions as to the size I will need? I
know it makes no diff. USB 2.0 or 3.0. Don't want to buy one that is to large and a waste of money.

@wilhelm1
apparently you are running a diff. OS
Nope. As you have posted in a Windows 7 forum I assumed that your question had to do with Windows 7 OS, although the three steps I describe should pretty much work from Vista to Windows 10.

NoSounds.png

want to buy a thumb drive to use as a backup any suggestions as to the size I will need?
The size will likely be determined by the amount of data you will need to back up. So you'll need to get a sense of what you are dealing with data backup wise, then the software you will use to perform the backup and whether or not it supports compression (most do, some do not), and let that be your guide as to the size of storage you will need.
I would suggest however that you might consider getting an external spinner, something like this http://smile.amazon.com/Elements-Po...22089&sr=1-4&keywords=external+usb+hard+drive
You'll likely get more bang for your buck and will be able to store multiple versions of backups before running out of space.

Back to the clicking noise...
I'm not sure that it is "system sounds", but it is worth looking into just for your piece of mind, maybe even consider muting the speakers to see if it still clicks.
AND
You do know that you can force Windows Updates manually, using the Windows Update Control Panel applet?

At least I have convinced myself that the clicks are coming from the speakers. As for the External Hard Drive, me thinks if they are not SSD then I will stick with a cheap thumb drive solely for backup. I see they are available but very pricey. Don't do music or anything so Scan Disk will do the job for me. Now off to force some updates. Thanks

PS found 4 important updates for a change none to help me get IE 11

While I wait for SP1 to show up so I can get IE 11 I want to ask another question. Thanks to the A***** Newegg I have 2 SSD's. Want to install one and maybe both in my Desktop, have an empty bay plus the existing HHD that is making noise. Until the HHD
gives up ghost can I add the SSD so that both will work together? How would I go about doing this?

Back
Top Bottom