Windows 7 What the heck is this, and how can I get rid of it? I've tried everything I know!

chrismjx

Today I noticed a file on my hard drive named this: e1c344ce53705556d359

Here's a screenshot:

weird file.png

It is locked and will not allow me to delete it. It says I need "SYSTEM" permissions. Yes I am the administrator, and the only user of this computer. I haven't downloaded or installed anything lately, in fact the computer had been off for over 24hrs when I discovered this. No matter what I have tried to do to edit the permissions settings, it still denies me.

What is this, and how do I get rid of it?

Attachments

• Weird file.png
    Weird file.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 1,049
  • Weird file.png
    Weird file.png
    143.3 KB · Views: 1,008
That is some system file probably owned by the trusted installer. I would not muck with it.

The fact that you are the admin and only user does not entitle you to delete just any system file. The system protects itself against intrusion by people who would click on anything without knowing what will happen.

What do you mean by "trusted installer"? As I said, this is my computer and I haven't installed or downloaded anything recently... Are you referring to software I may be running? Why would it appear now? Possibly as a result of an update?

What do you mean by "trusted installer"? As I said, this is my computer and I haven't installed or downloaded anything recently... Are you referring to software I may be running? Why would it appear now? Possibly as a result of an update?
The trusted installer is part of Windows. Google it. E.g. this: Windows 7 ā€“ How to Delete Files Protected by TrustedInstaller

It sounds like you do not know much about the operating system. I really recommend you stay away from muddling with things you do not understand.

The e1c part looks much like the driver names used for my Intel Network adapter. I don't install all of the extra utilities that come with it, so not sure if it is related. Do you have any special devices related to some type of network device?

Anything in the registry for such a designation?

No special network devices, just the setup I've been using for over a year now, modem + wireless router from Comcast. I searched for "e1c" in the registry and got a list of results, but I can't interpret them and I wouldn't want to mess with them and screw up something that I want to keep working. Any other questions or actions I can chase down to learn more about what this thing is?

I really appreciate the help and knowledge you all are bestowing upon me :)

I can delete individual files from inside this folder, although not many it seems. I remember that Windows ran updates a few days ago and froze up while doing so. I restarted the computer and ran the updates again, which seemed to have worked normally that time. Could this mystery folder have resulted from that?

Another point of interest: The windows installer patch file in this folder is called "NDP40-KB2600217"; I googled it and found this KB article --> KB2600217 - Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, - Microsoft Answers

So...is this folder and its contents likely a failed .NET update as the KB leads me to believe?

I may be repeating, but is there anything actually in that folder?

Yes there is, there are 26 folders and 14 files of various types. As I mentioned, "NDP40-KB2600217.exe", apparently a Windows Installer Patch, is there and by googling it I turned up this article: KB2600217 - Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, - Microsoft Answers

So I'm thinking it was supposed to be an update that didn't work correctly. I have since manually downloaded and installed this update, but the folder is still there. Any idea how I can get rid of it? I have already gone through the process found here: http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/windows-7-how-to-delete-files-protected-by-trustedinstaller/

I have changed permissions to "Administrator" and it still will not let me delete it. I'm 99% sure of what it is and why it is there now, but I still can't get rid of it! :mad:

Last edited:
My preferred weapon of choice in these situations is UNLOCKER 1.9.1 by Cedrick 'Nitch' Collomb.

It's not let me down yet when trying to delete the undeletable.

With everything that has been said, the KB#, links and such, it is a Microsoft produced patch. I would run the Windows updater manually and make sure I get all the updates, and that none are still waiting to be installed. Then be sure to restart and check if it is still there. If it is still there, check the Windows Updater one more time, if you are fully updated, and it still wont let you delete it, then use something like Unlocker to delete it. That is just what I would suggest doing.

The poster is trying to learn. Anyone has the right to delete anything on his/her computer even if it's wrong. Some of us learn through this method. That is why we have recovery discs, windows backup dates, etc. Cheer; don't jeer!!!!!

No. It was directed to WHS with the negative comments about you. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
Are you having trouble deleting the .exe or the whole folder?
If so, it might be that we have the same problem. The reason you can't delete the whole folder is because in the smaller folders are rtd files that absolutely cannot be delete(for some reason) and those indestructible rtd files stop even massive wipes that contain them. Like wiping the containing directory. Anyway, there is not much I can do for you than tell you how to stop the process (NDP40-KB2600217.[COLOR=blue !important][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=inherit ! important]exe[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]) from acting by itself. Just delete it everything you can out of the directory and small folders. The best way to deal with the folder is to get used to it and forget about this whole fiasco.

I've got the same issue. But it is not on C: drive, it's actually on G: drive that is a separate internal HDD, and I've got file folders like that... Each contains the same stuff, size is about 35MB, but size is not really a problem as it's a 2TB HDD. The problem is that it shows up in a middle of my other folders that took many years of putting together a naming them to create a system where I can save time when scrolling through the folders. Now I have to scroll through these folders through that makes no sense. If these are temporary files, then why cannot windows put them somewhere where I cannot see them...
Anyway, I've downloaded that recommended software, UNLOCKER (see the link from patcooke; thanks!!!), and managed to move all these into a new folder that resides at the bottom of the rest... In this way, if it turns out that these were some important files (I doubt it) then I can always move them back to the root of G:/ where they originally resided.

Back