Windows 7 What wireless card are you using on win7 64bit, whats your results.

daninfamous

As the title says, whats your win7 64bit wireless card, how is performance.

Me

Linksys wmp300n - Performance - Not so good. (has to do with 64bit im assuming)

if more peole posted, this could be a very good idea for a post, stickied, as a resource for people to see what setups and harware DOES Work or CAN work.
PC: HP Elite m9350f
integrated wireless, called in device manger ""802.11n Wireless PCI Express Card LAN adaptor." Original, but updated driver under Vista: Provided by Ralink , Driver version 2.0.5.0 5/5/08.
Working driver, a broadcom driver:
Link Removed - Invalid URL

working just fine.

Last edited:
Linksys Wireless-G with SpeedBooster
Model WMP54GS

My performance in W7 64-bit is just fine. At least as good as XP.
I love IE8 64-bit. Much faster than 32-bit IE7 or IE8. Hopfully Adobe will get a 64-bit compatible Flash player soon.

Hey, I do know that its about wireless cards, though the guy above mentioned linksys wmp54g which is router, so thats why I asked:)

Linksys Wireless-G with SpeedBooster
Model WMP54GS

My performance in W7 64-bit is just fine. At least as good as XP.
I love IE8 64-bit. Much faster than 32-bit IE7 or IE8. Hopfully Adobe will get a 64-bit compatible Flash player soon.

Curious as to how you were able to get it to work properly. I have a v4.1 and cannot get it to run on 64bit. I have tried all the ralink drivers.

Any tips?

Hi, have Windows 7 Build 7057 x64 installed.
No luck with my Linksys WUSB54G v.1 USB wireless adapter :( I have tried multiple versions of drivers from recommendations for Vista 64, XP 64, and even some different brand drivers that were ruumored to work.

I guess it is time to buy a new one, so I would like to know if there is a list somewhere of all the wireless G USB adapters that ARE compatible with Windows 7 x64, or at least Vista x64.

Thanks!

Hi, have Windows 7 Build 7057 x64 installed.
No luck with my Linksys WUSB54G v.1 USB wireless adapter :( I have tried multiple versions of drivers from recommendations for Vista 64, XP 64, and even some different brand drivers that were ruumored to work.

I guess it is time to buy a new one, so I would like to know if there is a list somewhere of all the wireless G USB adapters that ARE compatible with Windows 7 x64, or at least Vista x64.

Thanks!
Encore Electroncs 802.11g Wireless USB Adapter model called ENUWI-G2 will work with its VITA x64 drivers on Win7 Beta Build 7052 in notebook or dektop USB 2 ports.
ENCORE's 802.11g Wireless PCI adapter card with screwable antenna will similarly work on desktop systems with availble PCI slots. As suggested in some other posts in this Forunm, these devices have Realtek chips. Device Manager lists them as:
Realtek RTL8187B Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps in the USB 2 Network Adapter and Realtek 8185 extensible802.11g Wireless Device respectively

Both thes are not very expensive with fairly good speed in my sysytem and no problem either to install or during the period I have been using them through Buffalo AirStation WHR-G 125 Wireless Router connected to a SpeedStream ADSL Modem to my DSL Internet service provider. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hey, folks! New member here....been using Windows 7 for a couple weeks now and have an issue with my wireless card I wanted to mention in this thread.

I am using a Linksys WMP54G v4.1 wireless PCI card in my PC, and I'm having that same ping spike issue that has plagued certain cards with XP, Vista and now Windows 7. Every 60 seconds (roughly), my ping goes through the roof and drops back down to normal the next second, which makes online gaming and video/audio streaming very problematic. I've tried practically everything, and nothing has fixed the problem.

I've used the Linksys driver (1.0.3.0) and a few different Ralink drivers, but none of them get rid of the issue. I've disabled wireless network polling and used WLAN Optimizer, but no dice. Same stupid ping spike every 60 seconds. I'm at my wit's end, and would welcome any suggestions from someone who has gotten this combination to work correctly. My web browsing is fine and the ping spike isn't noticeable when doing normal surfing (which is to be expected). The problem is when I game, which is a big problem for me.

Microsoft seems to think this is a great feature in Vista 64/Win 7, but it's honestly very annoying and I've been to many other forums and seen similar posts to this one from other folks with the same setup and problem. It seems to be an issue with this particular card and Vista 64/Win 7, because my wife has an MSI wireless G Turbo card in her system, and she does not get the ping spikes. I verified this last night by pinging the router for several minutes. Every 60 seconds, mine would jump from 1ms to anywhere from 700-3,000ms. My wife's pinged at 1-2ms the entire time. I'm about ready to give up and buy another MSI card for my PC, but I know that some people have gotten the Linksys card to work with Vista 64/Win 7 correctly and don't want to admit defeat just yet. :(

@kristv

The ping spike probably isn't on the card end nor the OS end. Its probably on the router end. I notice this with games as well on my belkin router and my d-link adapter in Mixed signal mode. However, when I place my router in 54g-only mode, not auto mode(Mixed network), and turned my channel down to 1, I don't get any ping spikes. Try turning off mixed wireless and selecting the default speed and signal for the router and see what happens

Also, some adapters are more prone to the ping spikes. My Intel 5100 AGN didn't even notice ping spikes during games while my router was in mixed wireless mode. While my d-link spiked every 60 seconds in CS and CS source.

Also make sure that you deselected "allow windows to turn off device" under the device's properties and make sure Windows power management for "wireless adapters is set to off" and USB selective is disabled if its a USB adapter.

Last edited:
While I won't claim to be 100% positive it's not the router, things are really pointing more towards the card or Windows. Folks on other forums believe it's the polling feature in Windows wireless management that is the culprit, but I have a feeling it's a combination of that and the wireless card's drivers. My wife's PC did not have the problem with an MSI Turbo-G card, but my system did with the Linksys card. I switched her card to my PC to try and rule out the Linksys card and sure enough, my PC still had the problem even with her MSI card in it. This tells me that it's not the router, but Windows (and possibly the card as well) that are the culprit.

Yea the funny thing is when I plugged my d-link adapter into my laptop it didn't experience the ping spikes as well I believe. Neither did my desktop experience the ping spikes on XP 64bit a while back. It was only after vista. I too thought it was due to using windows zero config or windows WLAN auto. I also tried getting rid of it with vista antilag or restarting my computer because that seemed to temporarily fix it sometimes.

The thing is, windows is probably partially to blame. I think it has to do with all three, the card, windows, and the router. And certain combos are more susceptible to the problem than others. I can't say with absolute certainty that the method I used will work for you. But, my situation sounded a whole lot like yours, and trying my method will only take 2 minutes to test.

Im not a huge Networking expert, I can only tell you what works for me though. If it fixes it great, if it doesn't, well at least it would have only been 2 minutes of your life.

Last edited:
I actually did try your suggestions and they didn't make any difference unfortunately. I appreciate your help though and the fact that something worked for you is encouraging to me anyway. Hopefully that means that I will get this sorted for myself by playing around with it a bit more. I'm considering doing a reformat/install of Windows 7 with the MSI card installed before I install Windows. That seemed to work for my wife's setup (although now she has the ping spike problem since I swapped the Linksys card into her system....which points me towards the Linksys card as the culprit now). This might be the only way I can get rid of the problem. I'll post back here to let folks know if it worked or not.

I'm using a Linksys WUSB54g ver. 4 which I was unable to get working at first despite what drivers I used. How ever after some time I found a forum with some links to supposedly "legit" drivers for my adapter. I was unsure if these where real or not due to there being no 64bit WUSB54g drivers on Linksys' website, but I decided to give them a go since most of my files where still backed up thanks to installing Windows 7 this morning. I Link Removed due to 404 Error, manually installed it the drivers by searching for a folder I dropped the extracted files into, and surprisingly it worked!

Back