Windows 10 WHEA error, is it hardware?

rstolpe

Hi,
Today I did get a WHEA error, I have explained everything below regarding the error.
What I’m wondering is; is this only due to a hardware issue? Or can it be software related?
As the log state it says it’s because of the CPU. But I can’t see how the cpu can break now?
It did not BSOD it did just freeze.
Please read When did it happen, under that section I'll explain everything how it did happen - the strange thing is that the keyboards smart card reader did stop lighting etc.

Download for the Event Viewer files/log:
WHEA event view log file download

Troubleshooting done
  • OCCT small and big - no issues.
  • Chkdsk - no issues
  • Memtest86 4-pass - no issue
  • Intel Diagnostic software both default test and extended did not find any issues on the CPU
  • I have also re-installed Windows now to see if it happen again.

My hardware / System info
  • MSI Meg z490 Ace
  • i9 10900k
  • 64GB Ram (two 32GB sticks)
  • Geforce 2070 Super
  • Windows 10 2004
  • All drivers, windows update and Bios are up to date and it also was that before WHEA did happen.

BIOS settings
This CPU are not overclockt in fact I have been tweaking the BIOS after intel default settings I want my cpu as intel intended it to be. Vcore etc are set to auto but I don’t have any overclocking like all cores always on turbo boost or similar like that.
Only thing that I have in Bios is that the RAM is set to XMP1.

Has it happen before?
No, I have been using my computer for about 2 months and it has never happen before.

When did it happen?
It did happen when I was ending a Skype call. The PC did freeze for about 5-6 seconds and I did notice that I was disconnected from Vmware horizon connection that we are connecting with a smart card. The smart card reader is in my keyboard and the led lights that are flashing on the keyboard when the smart card is connected was not flashing at all.
It did not BSOD it was just freezing for 1-6 seconds and then it did work again.

My CPU temp was about 33-35c when it did happen so it was not a temp issue.

Have you done anything before this happened?
  • Disabled Enhanced Turbo in BIOS same day as the WHEA did apper, but I have put it back to Auto as it was default now
  • Installed a fan software called Argus Monitor but I did uninstall it right away. (same day as WHEA and WHEA did happen after)
  • Updated Nvidias drivers (4 days ago)

Hi,

personally if this happened to me i would ensure that my chipset drivers and bios were the latest versions.

In fact any apps used should be latest versions too.. See if it happens again but it may have just been one of those things?

Post back if the issue persists.

Hi,

personally if this happened to me i would ensure that my chipset drivers and bios were the latest versions.

In fact any apps used should be latest versions too.. See if it happens again but it may have just been one of those things?

Post back if the issue persists.

Hi,
I have done that now - I also re-installed Windows.
What I also did do was that I did put the BIOS to MSI (Motherboard manufactorer) to default settings. I did read somewhere that as default MSI want to have Enhanced Turbo on (aldo it's overclocking) and if I turn that of the vcore can bee effected so it will give to low vcore to the CPU.

Don't know whats right or not but everything is in default now and I guess that we will see if I get the WHEA error again. And as I did change the Enhanced Turbo setting from default the same day when it did happen and when I did cancle the skype call I guess that the CPU did go from some kind of "idle state" and up in vcore.

I have 3 years warranty on all of the stuff so that's not a thing I just hate to have a instable system and also I hate to send things back to the store as then I'm out of it for some weeks.

Edit:
Did you look at the event view files maybe you can see something that I did miss?

I did read that the latest Nvidia drivers do have some strange issues for example not reg displays that have g-sync etc. People are complaning of "lagging" etc. Is it possible that the Nvidia driver did cause the WHEA error in the CPU? I was thinking as Skype are related to Nvidia drivers due to the fact that its' graphic and also audio to my display or is this to "far"?

Last edited:
I guess the issue could have been related to whatever it was you were tweaking but if your back on defaults then all should be well.

I doubt it was the Nvidia driver as it doesn't really relate to skype.

Just keep an eye on the system.

I guess the issue could have been related to whatever it was you were tweaking but if your back on defaults then all should be well.

Yes, I did revert everything back to default in BIOS in the way MSI want's it so to say.
But most it bee the CPU or Motherboard that has generated the WHEA error? What I'm more or less wondering over is that the Error Source Unknown.

Everything goes trough the CPU so that's why I'm thinking it can bee something else or is I'm totally wrong? Maybe Bluetooth? I did have my headset connected etc?

But you advice is to just run the system at MSI default and see if I get any WHEA error again. I should not RMA the Motherboard and/or the CPU in this state?

How about the obvious things like overheating, low voltage... after all it is not the smallest?

How about the obvious things like overheating, low voltage... after all it is not the smallest?
I have already tested that, My thinking is that maybe maybe Intel Defult in MSI is not handle correctly and giving low voltage (vcore) and that MSI default in BIOS are giving the right voltage (vcore)

I did find this in my eventlog now:

Both of them are indicating that my 2070 Super GPU are faulty.
Maybe it was that who caused the WHEA error? I have both audio and also well picture trough the GPU when I'm using skype etc.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the image isn't showing.

Apart from the above messages is the system running as it should?

If it is then I wouldn't worry too much. I doubt you need to rma your motherboard and stuff.

See how you run at default settings, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Unfortunately the image isn't showing.

Apart from the above messages is the system running as it should?

If it is then I wouldn't worry too much. I doubt you need to rma your motherboard and stuff.

See how you run at default settings, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Nah, I have some flicker screen sometime but Palit (the maker of my nvidia card) has told me that I should RMA it so.

And the only "hickup" that I have ever notice was the little freeze of 5 sec when I did close a skype call that generated a WHEA error. So I guess your right. I'll just enjoy my system and if I get any more WHEA then I'll start to investigate it more. Maybe it was caused of my Nvidia issue who knows.

Nvidia error:
quNWVFU.png

b9xz8Tn.png

Good luck with the rma although for future reference, the above event logs don't automatically mean your gpu is faulty.

Just that the driver crashed but recovered.

If the error should return then please post back.

Last edited:
Back