Windows 7 When I open the Task Scheduler, I get an error message...

martin1223

When I open Task Scheduler, I get the following error message:
an error has occurred for task realupgradelogontasks-1-5-21-2172834406-3963835389-1001. error message:the specified account name is not valid. What does it mean and how do I get rid of the error message?

It looks like it is a REAL update problem.
Open Msconfig and , under the startup tab, deselect anything to do with REAL. Reboot and try the task manager again.

Thanks, but that does not fix the problem. I know that it is the real update. Is there something I can do other than disableing Real?

What I suggested will normally, only , disable the REAL as a startup item. It is not needed there as it is available on demand.

I did what you suggested by going to msconfig, under the startup tab deselect anything to do with Real, and rebooted. I opened up the task scheduler and the same error message opened up. Do you have any other suggestions…?
Thanks martin1223…

I do not know if it means anything, but assuming you typed the error message correctly, the user number seems to be missing an entire qroup of numbers. This may be perfectly normal, but I am looking for a way to find out.

I will assume the update being attempted is for Real audio? What exactly is installed so I can try it.

I, of course, cannot recommend you do anything to alter your registry, but if you were to do that make sure and follow the warnings about backing it up because if might cause you system not to boot. But, I did find the registry areas that control the tasks. Maybe you can find the one for Real. I created a simple task and deleted my registry entry for it and when I started Task Scheduler I got a message saying the task no longer existed and to refresh the view.

Anyway--something to think about.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tasks

When I open Task Scheduler, I get the following error message:

“An error has occurred for task
Realupgradelogontasks-1-5-21-2172834406-492443246-3963835389-1001. Error message: the specified account name is not valid.”

What does it mean and how do I get rid of the error message

My apologies Saltgrass; you are correct I added the group of numbers that I missed but the rest of the error message is correct and what I said is correct from my previous post with suggestion from davehc with msconfig. I also tried another suggestion from another forum…

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Hi
Are you able to access the Task Scheduler after the error message appears?
If you can, try to look through all of the tasks to locate one with that name. Look at all of the Tasks information to try and determine what program is using the task. If it is something that is not needed, right click the task and select the Disable option.
Let us know what you find.

Regards
• April 19, 2011
Ronnie Vernon
Community Moderator

Windows Expert - Consumer

In reply to Ronnie Vernon post on April 19, 2011
I tried to disable it but the error message came up. Then, I tried to delete it since it was the real player scheduler for updates. When I tried to delete it, the error message came up again. I uninstalled the real player and deleted names associated with real in the task scheduler. I was successful in deleting those. I rebooted and tried to open the task scheduler but I got the same error message and I did not see any name associated with the real player in the task scheduler.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In addition, I received still another message from another forum:

“I found a related solution on a different forum. Check this link and use the specific numbers in your error message to fix.

Windows Vista task scheduler not responding”

Regards,
GEWB

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows Vista task scheduler not responding

Sunday, October 31, 2010 6:14 PMGTWYUSER

I tried to access task scheduler library and recieved this message-RealUpgradeLogonTask-1-5-21-40329462-2809438442-2392261779-1000 Error The specified account name is not valid. I don't really care about this one task but-this is as far as I could go. I cannot get into the library. All the functions are in the right screen but have no effect. I've never seen this before and wonder what tasks if any are working. I have a Gateway MT6705 laptop, 3 gigs Ram, 300 gigs HD,(I've made some changes), Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit. Machine seems to functioning ok but that might change if all tasks are down. Any ideas?
Moved bytonysoper Sunday, October 31, 2010 10:36 PMwrong forum (From:TechNet Wiki Discussion)

Answers

Tuesday, November 02, 2010 8:45 AMSabrina ShenMicrosoft Contingent Staff, Moderator

Hi,

Please let me know when did the issue occurs. If you have installed any programs or updates before the issue occurs.

First, You may perform system restore to test this issue.

Also, please boot in Clean Boot to check if it is able to access the task scheduler.

If the issue persists, it is possible the “RealUpgradeLogonTask-1-5-21-40329462-2809438442-2392261779-1000” task is damaged. Let's find it in the registry key to check the result.

Back up the registry

Please delete the following registry:

1. Click “Start”, type “REGEDIT” (without the quote) into “Search” bar, right click "Run as administrator". If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2. Navigate to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree].

3. Check if there is the “RealUpgradeLogonTask-1-5-21-40329462-2809438442-2392261779-1000” in the registry key.

4. Highlight the “RealUpgradeLogonTask-1-5-21-40329462-2809438442-2392261779-1000” and delete it.

After that, check the issue again.

Reference:

Schedule a task

Automate tasks with Task Scheduler

You also can create a new user account to test the issue and check the event log by the steps below:

Check Event Log

---------------------------

1). Please go to Start, type Event Viewer.

2). Expand Event Viewer (Local) -> Applications and Services Logs -> Microsoft -> Windows -> TaskScheduler -> Operational.

3). Please see if there is any error listed.

You can refer to the following link to upload the information:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

Regards,

Sabrina

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

None of the suggestions helped remove the error message and I do not feel sure enough of myself to work on the registry. If I make an error in it, others have mentioned that the computer could crash…

Is there anything else that I can do other than working in the registry? I ran Norton Security Suite’s registry clean up and nothing showed up as fixed…

Last edited:
My tests show that if you remove the entries for that task in two registry entries, you will not get any error messages, unless Real is replacing those tasks.

Check the following registry areas.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tasks
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree

I asked you earlier what version of Real Player you had installed. I can duplicate and possibly find the problem if you tell me.

Last edited:
Sorry,

RealPlayer™(win32)
Version 14.0.3.647
Helix Powered
Distribution: R61S02

I do not know if this is pertinent but this is my system’s configuration:

Dell Inspiron 580
Windows 7 Home Premium
64-bit operating system
2 processor cores
Intel® Core™ i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz
(RAM) 4.00 GB
Intel® HD Graphics
1696 MB Total available graphics memory
723GB Free (922GB Total)

I copied another description of my configuration summary:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name CINDY
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Inspiron 580
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz, 3067 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A06, 7/6/2010
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name CINDY\dell
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.80 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.23 GB
Total Virtual Memory 7.61 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.29 GB
Page File Space 3.80 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Last edited:
I have installed RealPlayer and deleted the registry entries for the scheduled update tasks. Since you seem to be getting an error message related to your user number, do you have another user you could log in as and try?

I suppose another option would be to uninstall RealPlayer.

If that doesn't work, open msconfig and go to the startup tab to uncheck the Real startup task (only one here). After you reboot, perhaps that would delete the need for a task and thus the reason for the error message. Real does put two tasks in the system. One to check for an update when you log on and one to check every week.

If you reboot and still cannot get into Task Scheduler, I will suggest, and all the warnings about working with the registry apply, deleting the 5 registry entries I have found. Make sure the entries refer to Real before you delete them since the numbers might be different in your system. The last one is what msconfig has hopefully disabled. I have just deleted them and my system seems to be working fine, but I never had your original problem. The numbers on the end of two of the entries will be your ID and not mine, so disregard those, unless you want to make sure yours are correct.

Anyway, good luck.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tasks\{FF21436C-3558-42E2-919F-726261CA4E4B}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tasks\{D33FA125-EEF5-4605-91E3-A5C20919EF16}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\RealUpgradeLogonTaskS-1-5-21-2805221173-3056154797-4156111815-1000

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\RealUpgradeScheduledTaskS-1-5-21-2805221173-3056154797-4156111815-1000

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Back