Windows 8 Where is lock screen image stored?

damo44

Hi, new poster here.

I've posted this to the Win 8 forum, but it could equally apply to Win 10.

I have 3 windows machines at home - netbook, laptop and desktop. The netbook was bought with Win 7 has never had a personalised lock screen, now it's on Win 10 it has a generic Microsoft one.

The laptop was Win 8.1. Last year I used an image of my favourite rock album (Queen II if anyone's interested) for a lock screen and that has persisted through the Win 10 upgrade. Until this evening, when I changed it to a generic one,

On my 8.1 desktop, the Queen album cover appeared as a lock screen shortly after applying it to the laptop. I didn't request this, but hey I like the picture (it really is an iconic album and cover art:) so I wasn't complaining, just a bit curious how it got there.

My desktop (for reasons I won't bore you with) has had its drives formatted, Win 8 installed, and an 8.1 update today. But the album cover returned almost straight away. I'm not asking where the lock screens are stored locally (C:\windows\web). I'm also not asking how to change the lock screen. I know how to do that...

All I'm asking is a) how does this lock screen image propagate between Windows machines on my home network and b) persist after reformatting and reinstallation of the O/S? Is it stored somewhere at Microsoft HQ, or should I take my tinfoil hat off

Thanks

David

This is an interesting question so I'm here to follow the answers and discover the great wonders of Windows. Maybe it's the Microsoft account? Also, Queen rock!

Is it stored somewhere at Microsoft HQ
Yes... 8, 8.1 and 10 have a roaming Microsoft accout linked to your store profile with background screen, keyboard language, region, click settings (single click or double) and clock... once you sign into a Microsoft account on a new pc/ phone these settings are auto-matic loaded.

You can adjust some of them as well so if for example one computer has a different screen because customers can see it then you can set THAT desktop background not to snyc to all the others.

Yes... 8, 8.1 and 10 have a roaming Microsoft accout linked to your store profile with background screen, keyboard language, region, click settings (single click or double) and clock... once you sign into a Microsoft account on a new pc/ phone these settings are auto-matic loaded.

You can adjust some of them as well so if for example one computer has a different screen because customers can see it then you can set THAT desktop background not to snyc to all the others.

Thank you for the answer. I'll have a hunt around to find out how to adjust the settings.

Something you said also helps me a question I didn't ask. The netbook pre-dated Win 8 (it shipped with 7) and the sign-on name and password always were independent of my 2 machines that shipped with 8 and 8.1. Even now it's on Windows 10 it only asks me for my first name to sign on, rather than my full email account. Probably still a hangover from its Win 7 origins.

Yes the 7 upgrade to 10 will try to keep all the 7 account details in tact and doesn't force a Microsoft account on you yet... it is still an option and will be offered to you should you fresh install 10 onto that machine at some later point.

All kinds of settings can be placed into your roaming account... the ones I listed about above are just defaults,

Screenshot (145).png

Last edited:
Excellent, thanks that's very helpful. I've altered the former Win 7 netbook to use Microsoft account. Sync settings is switched to 'on' on all 3 devices now.

So if I chose any local image file on any one of the devices, for example a picture of my house stored on my laptop's C: and set that as my laptop's lock screen, that should propagate via Microsoft.com (stored on my OneDrive??) and back to my netbook and desktop?

Really helpful and great to know. I wonder if Microsoft 10 is also stored in Microsoft account or is it particularly linked to the harware of the parent PC?

The 10 upgrade is still the old account settings unless you change them... should you install 10 on that machine as a fresh install then one of your last options is to sign in to your Microsoft account and if you agree then yes the roaming profile settings will be downloaded for you.

Back