Windows 7 WHICH is the best antivirus program for windows 7 which don't cause BSOD???

Free anti-virus solutions are inferior to commercial ones

I can't justify recommending a free anti-virus.

Here is some additional information from organizations purported to be independent:

AV-TEST - The Independent IT-Security Institute: Nov/Dec 2011

In this summary for December 2011, MSE v2 got the lowest rating of 2 for Protection. While the top winners were:

6.0 BitDefender Internet Security 2012
6.0 BullGuard Internet Security 12.0
6.0 G Data: Internet Security 2012
6.0 Kaspersky Internet Security 2012

How the protection test worked:

AV-TEST - The Independent IT-Security Institute: Protection

In 2011, AV-Comparatives, an organization which conducts numerous independent lab-based anti-virus and anti-malware test. released its end of year summary. This data is in an encrypted PDF and can be found here: AV-Comparatives: Summary 2011 (PDF)

It requires Adobe Reader.

The winner for best product of the year was Kaspersky. Top rated products for 2011 were AVIRA, BitDefender, ESET, F-Secure, and Kaspersky. So, no, I don't agree that freeware anti-malware software really competes with the commercial solution at all. Putting a freeware anti-virus on an enterprise network of systems would be crazy. I'll tell you one thing, I dislike Symantec products with a passion, but their corporate products like Endpoint 12 do let you perform an enormous amount of centralized management of all clients on a Windows domain controller. It can function as a virus detection center for branch offices. So can most commercial anti-virus business deployment and management tools. When it comes to real results, and not the stuff you read about as hype, these are the programs that stop the malware and the viruses when your computer security is compromised. This compromise happens, primarily, through the exploitation of the user while they are browsing the web, or, when systems do not retain the latest Windows updates.

Looking at it honestly, no matter how much I want to say that Microsoft Security Essentials is the best solution - it is not. It works and runs fast and is designed to look nice. It plays great with the OS and HAL because it is Microsoft. It is the same reason Office runs super fast. But when you look at the real results, from the testing labs that don't have a vested interest in giving you a result that was paid for, you're going to keep seeing a trend. And that trend is that free anti-virus solutions don't compete at all with commercial solutions. If they did, no one would buy commercial AV or security suites.

Look, I can't in good conscience, say to a client, you know what's a lot better than Kaspersky? You know what is ten times better than ESET or BitDefender? Microsoft Security Essentials. I would be lying to them, to my knowledge. I couldn't even justify the cost differential - because when that inexperienced office user who knows how to do their job, but not necessarily use a computer that well, goes ahead and downloads a real virus, that ravages with real consequence -- I am putting an untold amount of data at risk. At one of my best clients, I would have been putting scanned images of multi-million dollar historic documents at risk, financial data at risk, bid sheets at risk, trade secrets at risk, and more.

So if you want to save a business a couple hundred dollars, and not even consider calling a sales rep. and requesting a bulk licensing discount, and go with MSE or AVG, you can do that. They could save thousands of dollars in software fees that they could probably write-off at the end of the year any way. But their network will not be safer whatsoever, and support incidents are going to increase tremendously. That is the plain truth. Whether in the public or private sector, I could never condone MSE as a solution, but in the smallest of offices.

MSE is a blessing, because finally millions of computer users will have a good reason to install an anti-virus package. Microsoft made one for free. The world may be that much safer from botnets, arbitrary code execution, worms, trojans, and viruses by a few percentage points. Microsoft deserves credit for that. But their products, just like AVG or the other free utilities that are mainstream, do not compete. McAfee isn't even on the list for these tests, so that tells me they are accurate. It's so bad it's not rated. Thank you for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Free anti-virus solutions are inferior to commercial ones

AV-Comparatives is a well known & respected, as well as unbiased, company who does "real life" testing of the products that they give awards for (& those who doesn't get awards). Not all AV providers are on this list for various reasons. The #1 reason is narrowing down the best choices for the consumer.

Recently, I believe it was last year, AV-Comparatives began using Windows 7 SP1 for their testing grounds. Previously, the company was using XP Pro SP3 for testing. Never did they use Vista, if they did, there were no reports of it.

The thing that I really like about the site, it does a breakdown of each product into a few categories so that we can understand the award process. Note that Avast (the free version) almost always have the fastest scan of any AV, year after year. Avast is awarded for that. But one cannot rely on "who's the fastest" alone. MSE has low amounts of false positives, once again, that cannot be a total basis on choosing an AV.

It's the total picture that counts. And even then, AV-Comparatives encourages users to "try & see" approach, noting that many companies has free trial versions of the real product. The truth is, there's no "one size fits all" for security software. Each user has their own unique needs. Some wants total control of the product, some wants everything automated, and there's many users in between those extremes.

It's my opinion that the "best" AV is the one that the user will actually take the time to learn & use, that secures the user, and the user feels as such. It's also my opinion that it depends upon the needs of the user. Like Mike stated above, a free AV would not suffice for any serious business user, or one who has wealth & manages it online. No way would I trust millions of dollars in the hands of a "free" (of any brand) AV. And, as Mike also mentioned, even if the security solution cost several hundred dollars, it would be a tax write off anyway. The users tax liability would be reduced by a professional solution.

On the other hand, there's the casual user who reads web articles, makes forum posts, reads & writes emails, and does online banking/shopping. That user needs paid protection as well. By opening email accounts & banking/shopping, this user also needs a paid security solution. Many of these users are everyday working folks, who can't afford to take a chance of losing what resources they have.

Finally, the user who only reads web articles, does research for school, and visits forums, but does not disclose their identity at all on the net. These users may be just fine with a free AV, provided that the user runs it regularly (MSE does this for you). These users also needs from time to time use a free program, such as Malwarebytes, to fully scan their computer for serious malware. Also, there are several good free online scanners, such as the ESET Online Scanner, or F-Secure Online Scanner & others.

The bottom line as to choice depends heavily upon what the user does with their computer. Fortunately, there are choices for all users. There is no excuse NOT to run an AV. It's just a matter of finding the right one for you.

Cat

Last edited:
Re: Free anti-virus solutions are inferior to commercial ones

The truth is, there's no "one size fits all" for security software. Each user has their own unique needs. Some wants total control of the product, some wants everything automated, and there's many users in between those extremes.
How right you are Cat. For every ten AVG / Norton I see in BSOD's and tell the OP to remove, and their problem is solved. I could probably find another forty that have never had a problem with either. Sadly (?) as soon as I see either of them in a dmp file, they gotta go!!

Re: WHITCH is the best antivirus program for windows 7 whitch don't cause BSOD???

MSE is good. I use Vipre on my server and it does a great job and doesn't bog down the network or the server. Don't waste your time or money on Symantec. It's the only one I've used that left an open door to Confliker, Red, and a few others. Yes, it was current at the time it took a holiday and allow every machine with it on them to get infected. The MSE machines didn't get infected; Our Domain Controller, running Vipre didn't either. Just the machines running Symantec.

Re: WHITCH is the best antivirus program for windows 7 whitch don't cause BSOD???

Yes, worms will blow right by lovely Norton/Symantec. I recall, back in the day, many machines getting saser (sp?) that had good ole Norton.

Drew

Re: Symantec Endpoint (apparently Norton wanted his name back), I once had to block all sites across a dozen offices and prevent them from accessing anything but .org, .gov, .edu, or work-related websites. This was after reviewing logs of where people were going and why these systems were getting taken down. I had dealt with enough. I still had people calling me, asking me why they couldn't get on MySpace and that they needed it for work. I was going to create a white-list form of acceptable sites, but by the next day, the outrage of laziness grew so great that I was forced to turn the whole thing off. I kept the logging on for the incompetent admin that still works there.

Old Timer - "Sounds like a pi**ing contest to me. I won't play.

Once a PC is properly set up, it will run almost anything. Then it just amounts to a program that costs little or nothing and does what it's supposed to do, without hassling the user.

I run AVG 2012 Pro, and install the FREE version for all my customers and set it to get an update and run a scan, automatically every day. We all stay 100% virus free with never a BSOD, crash or freeze.
Any OS, right out of the box, without tuning, is just a car crash waiting to happen."

Well said! I haven't run nothing but run AVG w/ MSE for the past several years!

Last edited:

Please clarify the sentence below... as is, it makes no sense. Thanks.

"Well said! I haven't run nothing but run AVG w/ MSE for the past several years!"

Please clarify the sentence below... as is, it makes no sense. Thanks.

"Well said! I haven't run nothing but run AVG w/ MSE for the past several years!"

lol - so much for College English, eh? lol OK - let's try this ........... I haven't ran nothing but MSE & AVG for the past several yrs w/ no issues at all! Hows that? :)

Should be, "I haven't run anything but, ...", as in, no dbl negative. and is a bit better than, with; with made it sound like both together on a machine simultaneously which, we all know cannot be done.

Here's my opinion post for this thread.

AVG Internet Security is not bad, I do have a subscription and it's working just fine. No BSOD or issues.

However, I am not to fond of the 'YouTube Accelerator' and 'PC Analyzer' feature to fix registry errors. They should have left that out.

Forgot to mention... My aunt is currently using the same AVG suite, and she does get BSOD. She got this issue because of PEBCAC (PErson Between Chair And Computer), she or family members (her sisters, brothers and inlaws, nieces, and nephews) continuously clicks the yes, accept, continue, install, agree, etc... button for a software, browser game or 'to good to be true' deal sites. I end up cleaning the entire system without having to do a clean install of Windows 7.

The previous PC in use (which belonged to my sister) was inundated with so much crapware, dustbunny colony, that she got pissed off, took it home and asked me to clean it. Suffice to say, system is cleaned, and inside was dusted with a leaf blower. :D The power supply was the only item that died after 1 year of being cleaned.

Other paid all in one complete security suites I have used and no issues or BSOD that have occurred are (in no particular order of preference):

• Bit Defender
  • Trend Micro
  • Zone Alarm
  • PcCillin

Really good free to use security suites... just what's been mentioned before. MSE and AVAST.

If you have a spare portable USB drive, download and install ClamWin. This has been a God send for clearing out PCs that belong to friends and families. (Yah, I do carry a jump drive with me at all times)

And as mentioned, stay away from:

• McAfee
  • Symantec
  • CA Security Suite... I installed this once on a clean install of Windows Vista, and right off the bat, I have issues.

Hope my engrish is not goodly bad... I thinks my engrish is as good as Yodas.

Last edited:

I have to agree with you on CA Internet Security, Dangaioh. Time Warner Cable gave it to me as a "gift" a couple of years ago for being a RoadRunner customer, that was the worst IS suite that I ever installed, even worse than AVG. In fact, it makes AVG look good, if that tells anyone how bad it is. My PC was slowed to a total zombie.

Not much better is EarthLink Protection Control Center. It's an IS suite, but it's based on a 2009 one (Aluria), see here:

Aluria Security Center - Download.com

It's not that it slows the computer down, but that it's 4 versions (years) out of date. Yes, one can get the latest updates for Avast 4.8 & Norton IS 2009, but what's the point? The user is still insecure. A third party scanner such as ESET Online Scanner will have to be ran weekly.

What EarthLink really wants to sell in the latest Norton IS, for $3.99/month per PC (actually per install). I have over 15 installs (that I can think of off the top of my head), not counting any VM's or Linux installs. I don't need my ISP to be my security consultant, I do my own research as to get the most protection for my money.

And yes, ClamWin is a good portable security product. I happen to have a flash drive with a collection of Portable Apps myself. It's like carrying around a PC in my pocket. Whenever I use another's PC, what I do leaves no traces behind.

Yah, the CA that I used was from the same parent cable company (Time Warner/Brighthouse). Out of curiosity... I installed CA, used, crash and reinstalled Windows Vista. :D It's a good thing that I did not click the 'activate' windows button.

I do feel sorry for employees of the local brick and mortar store that has forced their employees to recommend and endorse CA here in Orlando, FL.

You mean they actually sell that crap? No kidding, I never knew this. Thought it was some rebranded crap that the cable companies shoved out, so that they can sell something better.

I wouldn't drive across town to pick up a case of CA Internet Security install disks w/licenses if they were given to me. Because in all honesty, I couldn't give this to anyone and get a good night's sleep, knowing that I screwed up someone's computer with that garbage. I call it garbage because that's exactly where it belongs.

I've also learned when a ISP "gives" me something, that either there's a string attached or it's not worth the time of day.

Cat

Yup, sold at the store, and heavily endorsed (as well as other CA products). Sadly, the cost is upto $60.00 (depending on the suite version), and you get a mail-in, instant or combination of both to bring the cost down to free, depending on the week. If lucky, you also get it free when you purchase it with another product.

Sidenote: I must also apologize for turning some of my post to 'bash a product', no matter how much I disdain them.

They couldn't pay me $60 to install it on my computer again, much less sell it to me.
icon13.gif

Cat

You mean they actually sell that crap? No kidding, I never knew this. Thought it was some rebranded crap that the cable companies shoved out, so that they can sell something better.

I wouldn't drive across town to pick up a case of CA Internet Security install disks w/licenses if they were given to me. Because in all honesty, I couldn't give this to anyone and get a good night's sleep, knowing that I screwed up someone's computer with that garbage. I call it garbage because that's exactly where it belongs.

I've also learned when a ISP "gives" me something, that either there's a string attached or it's not worth the time of day.

Cat

My ISP is guilty of offering CA powered security solutions... It's a resource hog with poor detection rates. It is rather feature rich, however. They charge like $8/month for antivirus, antispyware and something else and then it's like an additional $2/month for firewall and every other component you chose to add in. It's ridiculous.

Mitchell,

Save your money & switch to MSE :)

Drew

Done and done long ago, no worries ;)

Back