Windows 7 which version of nero back it up & burn for windows 7

watson1947

Would anyone know if there is a specific version of nero back it up & burn has to used in windows 7. I have version 5.0.14001, but don't want to use it to back up if it is not compatible with windows 7 and I can't restore from it.

I checked ms compatibility website but could not see any mention of it.

Thanks for reading and in advance for any help offered.

Would anyone know if there is a specific version of nero back it up & burn has to used in windows 7. I have version 5.0.14001, but don't want to use it to back up if it is not compatible with windows 7 and I can't restore from it.

I checked ms compatibility website but could not see any mention of it.

Thanks for reading and in advance for any help offered.

Is there a specific reason why you would like to stay with Nero exclusively? Windows 7 does have a backup and restore option integrated in. Have you tested this? Click on "Start" and type the word "back up." From there, click "back up and restore center"

Sorry, perhaps I should have explained further.
I have windows xp at the moment and I am going to upgrade to windows 7. I have a lot of files I want to back up before I do so; mostly music files from over the past 25 years or so and which I know is irreplaceable.

This is the main reason for using nero. But if my version isn't supported in windows 7 then I presume I wouldn't be able to restore my files once I install windows 7.

I also have other files to back up and I remember reading at one stage that just backing up files to cd/dvd was not a back up that could be restored to its original state. i.e: that the data could not be edited etc. Once put on disc and restored to the drive/s it was read only and therefore could not be edited in any way, which I would need to be able to do with most of the data.

In any case, I would still need software that is compatible with windows 7 to restore the files. Isn't that the case?

Hope this isn't too long winded, but thought I'd better explain the situation as best I could.

Thank you for reading and in advance for any help offered.

Is there a specific reason why you would like to stay with Nero exclusively? Windows 7 does have a backup and restore option integrated in. Have you tested this? Click on "Start" and type the word "back up." From there, click "back up and restore center"

There are a lot of backup tools better than Nero

I think this tip will tell you what you really need.
Link Removed - Not Found

Sorry, perhaps I should have explained further.
I have windows xp at the moment and I am going to upgrade to windows 7. I have a lot of files I want to back up before I do so; mostly music files from over the past 25 years or so and which I know is irreplaceable.

This is the main reason for using nero. But if my version isn't supported in windows 7 then I presume I wouldn't be able to restore my files once I install windows 7.

I also have other files to back up and I remember reading at one stage that just backing up files to cd/dvd was not a back up that could be restored to its original state. i.e: that the data could not be edited etc. Once put on disc and restored to the drive/s it was read only and therefore could not be edited in any way, which I would need to be able to do with most of the data.

In any case, I would still need software that is compatible with windows 7 to restore the files. Isn't that the case?

Hope this isn't too long winded, but thought I'd better explain the situation as best I could.

Thank you for reading and in advance for any help offered.

You could always use 3rd party software such as Acronis to back up files or do a manual back up on Windows XP. Also, when moving from Windows XP to Windows 7 you will have the option to select "custom" install when prompted. The Windows 7 install process will then copy all of your data over to a Windows.old folder within Windows 7 itself.

So to answer your question, if you do the custom install option when "upgrading" from XP to 7, you will be able to manually restore your files (transfer them into the proper location) yourself and would not require Nero.

You could always use 3rd party software such as Acronis to back up files or do a manual back up on Windows XP. Also, when moving from Windows XP to Windows 7 you will have the option to select "custom" install when prompted. The Windows 7 install process will then copy all of your data over to a Windows.old folder within Windows 7 itself.

So to answer your question, if you do the custom install option when "upgrading" from XP to 7, you will be able to manually restore your files (transfer them into the proper location) yourself and would not require Nero.
Dunno Jessica, I think I would prefer to backup my data before dong the custom install route.
If the install fails (happened to my son) then your data is gone.

Regardless of whether the user backups manually or uses something like Nero you can't go wrong backing up to external media before attempting a Win 7 install over XP.

BTW, we are talking about a custom install here since there is no direct upgrade path from XP to Win 7.

I would guess you need to go to at least the later versions of Nero 7, and if you are going to do that, you might as well go to Nero 9.

You can download Windows Easy File Transfer Wizard for XP if you want to go that way. After all, you are not limited to only one backup.

Back
Top Bottom