Windows 10 Why don't my desktop items get displayed?

BudVitoff

Honorable Member
I just transferred my system from Win7 to Win10, and everything came across nicely. File Explorer shows the desktop with 28 items, but they aren't showing on the screen. The only thing on the screen is the Recycle bin.

What did I miss?

I've had icons appear off screen sometimes when switching between my laptop screen to my dock. You can right click on the desktop > view > auto arrange icons, that should re-align the icons, then simply uncheck the setting and move your icons where you want them

Ah-h-h, Neemobeer, true to form as I've noted before. I would love to auto arrange and re-align the icons -- IF THERE WERE ANY!

MinecraftKid45 was right on in red; unfortunately, that is already checked, but no joy!

Hey, Bud, what software or method did you use to transfer your settings from W7->W10? Did you use Microsoft's File and Tranfer Wizard, or did you make an Image Backup file such as Macrium, Acronis, or EASEus TODO? Generally speaking, the Microsoft tool will transfer over your data (no programs-those need to get reinstalled), but your Desktop icons won't work or won't be there or both; as they have slightly different locations in the Windows file system. When W10 looks for the locations in it's file system with your W7 shortcuts, you'll get "...can't locate file" errors.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>> :lightbulb:

Bear:
I use CrashPlan for my backup, and I don't think I've ever seen higher quality software. They're sophisticated, thorough, considerate of the user, and I have yet to think of any concern that they haven't foreseen and provided for, along with fabulous documentation to boot. In addition, their agents (they call them "champions") are great.

I had a full backup of the old PC's Users folder on an external drive, along with a new initial-state PC, so it was just a matter of "attaching" that drive to the new PC and restoring everything I had. Previously, under CrashPlan's guidance, I had moved any personal stuff that was outside the Users folder to inside, leaving executables and other systems stuff outside. That way, backing up just the Users folder was keeping in line with having to reinstall apps. I knew that all the shortcuts that were restored would give me problems, and I figure that I'll resolve them one at a time as the need arises. First thing I did was reinstall all the software we use regularly, and within the next two or three years I'll catch up with the rest.

I'm still mystified by the lack of icons for the desktop. I'm getting no alerts about it.

Neemobeer:
That's what I implied in my original post.

Can you run from a powershell prompt Get-ChildItem -Path $env:USERPROFILE\Desktop and post the output

Sorry, I don't grok "powershell prompt". I Googled it and found a mess. Can you simplify it for me so that I can get what you're looking for?

Press the window key, type powershell. Then the bold command from the previous post

I can't do it tonight because I've dismantled the system to remantle (?) it at my daughter's house tomorrow. I'm not sure if one helper today was right or not, but it seems that I had two users on the PC, the first being a Microsoft Account user and the other a Local user. I was using the latter to avoid putting up with Microsoft passwords, but my helper told me I was referencing the former side. I don't know what he was talking about, but I'm curious to see what the powershell thing gives me. I think that Bear may be right about the W7 shortcuts not compatible with W10 locations. In the meantime, I'm taking the items that File Explorer shows for Desktop, and either moving them to the actual desktop or creating a shortcut there, depending on my gut feel at the time. Whatever works!

If you migrated from a local account in Windows 7 to a Microsoft account in Windows 10, then most likely you have your desktop shortcuts in the local account profile in C:\Users\<localaccount>. Accounts do not share profiles which would explain why you don't see the desktop icons. Open explorer and navigate to C:\Users\localuser>\desktop. Select everything and drag them on to your desktop. They should be in the correct place and be visible

At least we hope that's the way it should work. Depends on how healthy that W7 system was when you backed up the files and shortcuts. A backup of bad data or partially bad data is only as good as the data--if the data is bad on the source, it's never going to work any better on the restored target OS!

Best of luck,:encouragement:
Have a Good week, Bud.:cheerful:
<<<BBJ>>>

Hi

When you look at Desktop in the "Quick Access" or in the "This PC Desktop" folder, does in show the items that are on the desktop?

If it does try copying and pasting them from there to the desktop and see if that makes them show up.

I don't have a "C:\Users\LocalUser" folder on my computer?

My Users Desktop folder appears in C:\Users\my user name\Desktop, you could check to see if the items appear there as well.

Mike

Last edited:
With all due respect to you all and your comments, it looks as though I can ignore it all. The confusion was caused -- I don't know how and I don't really care any more -- by having the two user accounts: One Microsoft and one local. I cleared out all the superfluous users hanging around and left myself with a single local user. On a restart, everything settled into place with the desktop displaying way too many icons in my opinion, but it's my daughter's desktop and she never listens to me. So I'm okay now, and thanks for your efforts.

I have to admit that I'm curious about Neemobeer's suggestion in post #9 and what it would have shown, but I doubt that my current situation would produce anything meaningful, so unless someone insists, I'll just let it remain a mystery.

Happy Holidays!

It wouldn't of shown anything. Since the desktop icons were in a different user profile then the one currently being used.

Back