Windows 7 Why is my sound card not recognized?

telstar 92

Hey everyone

I have fairly recently built myself a computer using the gigabyte GA EP43 DS3L motherboard. On the manufacturers website it says that this motherboard is Windows 7 ready and that it has an integrated realtek HD audio sound card.

When I first set up the computer with windows 7 RC everything worked perfectly, although every now and then when I turned it on the sound icon in the system tray displayed the "no audio output device is installed", until eventually this became a permanent problem.

First I tried resetting the BIOS and doing a disk format and clean install of windows 7, in order to try and get the whole system back to how it was when the sound worked.

After trying this a few times I tried to find my sound card in "device manager", "system information" and "directx diagnostic tool", although none of them recognized it. There was not even the heading of "sound video and game controllers" in device manager.

I then tried to manually add it by clicking "add legacy hardware" in device manager. Once I had added "realtek HD audio" under "sound video and game controllers" there was a small yellow exclamation mark next to it in device manager. The problem was reported as "the device cannot start (code 10)". This, I found out, was a driver error, and so I went onto the realtek website (from the link on the gigabyte motherboard website) and downloaded the realtek HD audio 2.34 driver, which is their newest and meant to support windows 7. After installing it and restarting the same icon was waiting for me in my system tray and the same error was waiting in device manager. However, the driver had definately installed as it had the right date of production in the driver properties.

I have also tried installing the driver in safe mode and compatability mode, neither of which worked either. The Azalia codec in the BIOS is switched on and there is nothing else I can think of to fix or to return it to it's state when the audio was working. I am now at my wit's end and any suggestions at all on how I can finally get rid of that little red cross once and for all would be hugely helpful.

Thanks very much for your time,

Telstar

I have already tried to install this driver through the add legacy hardware method and it has installed but not made any difference
Telstar

Hey everyone

I have fairly recently built myself a computer using the gigabyte GA EP43 DS3L motherboard. On the manufacturers website it says that this motherboard is Windows 7 ready and that it has an integrated realtek HD audio sound card.

When I first set up the computer with windows 7 RC everything worked perfectly, although every now and then when I turned it on the sound icon in the system tray displayed the "no audio output device is installed", until eventually this became a permanent problem.

First I tried resetting the BIOS and doing a disk format and clean install of windows 7, in order to try and get the whole system back to how it was when the sound worked.

After trying this a few times I tried to find my sound card in "device manager", "system information" and "directx diagnostic tool", although none of them recognized it. There was not even the heading of "sound video and game controllers" in device manager.

I then tried to manually add it by clicking "add legacy hardware" in device manager. Once I had added "realtek HD audio" under "sound video and game controllers" there was a small yellow exclamation mark next to it in device manager. The problem was reported as "the device cannot start (code 10)". This, I found out, was a driver error, and so I went onto the realtek website (from the link on the gigabyte motherboard website) and downloaded the realtek HD audio 2.34 driver, which is their newest and meant to support windows 7. After installing it and restarting the same icon was waiting for me in my system tray and the same error was waiting in device manager. However, the driver had definately installed as it had the right date of production in the driver properties.

I have also tried installing the driver in safe mode and compatability mode, neither of which worked either. The Azalia codec in the BIOS is switched on and there is nothing else I can think of to fix or to return it to it's state when the audio was working. I am now at my wit's end and any suggestions at all on how I can finally get rid of that little red cross once and for all would be hugely helpful.

Thanks very much for your time,

Telstar

I'm just wondering if the device has died for some reason... It's just seems odd that you had the device stop and start like that and then eventually nothing. It might be worth contacting Gigabyte via the website and seeing what they say..
You may end up RMAing the board?

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/ServiceCenter.aspx

Last edited:
I emailed gigabyte support about 3 days ago and I am still waiting for a reply. What you suggest seems to make alot of sense, and if this is the case does this mean I will have to buy a new external sound card? What does RMAing mean?
Thanks very much,
Telstar

A Return Merchandise Authorization or Return Material Authorization (RMA) is a transaction whereby the recipient of a product arranges to return Link Removed due to 404 Error to the Link Removed due to 404 Error to have the product repaired or replaced or in order to receive a refund or credit for another product from the same retailer or corporation.

If you don't get any joy with Gigabyte, talk to the supplier where you got the board from and if they are decent (eg Newegg) they should replace the board for you as it's still under warranty.

Back