Windows 7 Why MS still use DVD's for windows installation?

Ahmed Alzayani

Microsoft we are in 2009 , why are the main windows installation files distribution method is still DVD's? why not flash memory?

Here is why i think why we need to shift to flash memory:

1. Flash memory is faster and more reliable than DVD's (Bonus: no noise & less power to use)
  2. 4 GB USB drive cost only 8 US$ now (my company gives 1 GB USB drives for free)
  3. Some slim notebooks, and almost all netbooks don't even have optical drive
  4. All modern BIOS/EFI firmwares supports USB boot

I always download the ISO, mount it to virtual drive ( i use Virtual CloneDrive) and follow the steps here to install from my USB drive. ( I don't need to burn dvd and waste money) .

Because blank DVD's can cost less than 50 cents. That's quite a lot of money that Microsoft would have to spend on flash drives and is therefore just really impractical.

Because blank DVD's can cost less than 50 cents. That's quite a lot of money that Microsoft would have to spend on flash drives and is therefore just really impractical.

Hey that is a good point and I must confess I still install via Cd or DVD . Stick in the mud thats me ;)

I agree with the OP to a certain extent.. ;) That is, I agree that flash drives would be a bit more practical these days (especially with USB 3.0 on it's way).. however, as lakewoodjoe112 said, DVD's are super cheap to manufacture.. thus making them still the #1 method of distribution.. :)

I agree with the OP to a certain extent.. ;) That is, I agree that flash drives would be a bit more practical these days (especially with USB 3.0 on it's way).. however, as lakewoodjoe112 said, DVD's are super cheap to manufacture.. thus making them still the #1 method of distribution.. :)

Yes all good points :) Must admit to never having used the method but will give it a wirl anytime soon .
Good luck too you all :)

I think that USB drives aren't used for two reasons;

#1. There's no way to "write protect" a flash drive beyond erasure. Meaning that someone could just format the flash drive and oops, there goes your install medium.

#2. Since Windows still runs on old hardware (before USB-Drive boot) it would be impractical to take all install medium to USB. They would have to use both DVD and USB to keep from blocking out a sizeable chunk of users.

I think that USB drives aren't used for two reasons;

#1. There's no way to "write protect" a flash drive beyond erasure. Meaning that someone could just format the flash drive and oops, there goes your install medium.

#2. Since Windows still runs on old hardware (before USB-Drive boot) it would be impractical to take all install medium to USB. They would have to use both DVD and USB to keep from blocking out a sizeable chunk of users.

Hey Kyle rocks :)
Got to say that makes a lot of sense ;)

I can't depend on USB ports always working. I have a PS/2 keyboard and ditched my USB keyboard because of problems with USB configuration. The old fashioned PS/2 keyboard works like a charm ALL the time.

The DVD install media makes good sense.

:)

I can't depend on USB ports always working. I have a PS/2 keyboard and ditched my USB keyboard because of problems with USB configuration. The old fashioned PS/2 keyboard works like a charm ALL the time.

The DVD install media makes good sense.

:)

Yes all true . I think people make life very complexe by using some means other then cd or dvd to install OS . Not that I dont intend to try that method and soon ;)
I like to have a hard copy ie: disk . thats there for ever without abuse of disk .
Me ancient so stuck in the mud this way ennit :)

Not mentioned yet - Both distribution methods, with the choice, would be the better solution.
Maybe members here are basicely non third world? Many users around the lower income parts of the world, are still using computers that do not have the facility to boot from any kind of flash memory. I would guess that, at the lowest level, there is a significant number who do not even have a flash option on their computers.
I have read, many times on forums such as this, that there are, sadly, some users who even have to convert the DVD installation media into CD's.
Microsoft were certainly aware of this. As we know, Vista was available as a multi CD installation.

Not mentioned yet - Both distribution methods, with the choice, would be the better solution.
Maybe members here are basicely non third world? Many users around the lower income parts of the world, are still using computers that do not have the facility to boot from any kind of flash memory. I would guess that, at the lowest level, there is a significant number who do not even have a flash option on their computers.
I have read, many times on forums such as this, that there are, sadly, some users who even have to convert the DVD installation media into CD's.
Microsoft were certainly aware of this. As we know, Vista was available as a multi CD installation.

Ideally, when you buy a copy of Windows, it would be nice to get BOTH.

I#1. There's no way to \"write protect\" a flash drive beyond erasure. Meaning that someone could just format the flash drive and oops, there goes your install medium.

Yes there is a way to make them Read-Only see here , I have number of these read-only USB's (and there is no toggle switch on them)

Yes I think this is the best solution.

Also when you buy windows online you should be able to download the DVD iso or a USB image with a software to write that image to the USB (a self expending exe for example).

Back