Windows 10 Why Windows 10 Upgrades Automatically On Windows 7 And Windows 8

Still some shadows looming over these rumours.

If it downloads and installs automatically, for Beta testers, I m have to assume that the beta tester/user will, in fact, be using Windows 10 at the time. - No big deal there.
Alternatively, in spite of being a Beta tester (5 million currently), if you are using Windows 7 or Windows 8, you will be offered the download in the normal way.???

Last edited:
My system does not currently have a License associated with it. So how will that be handled, do I pick out one license to stop using or Microsoft picks one they want to remove from service.

It should also be noted, in build 10135, there are some apparent changes regarding our use of the system. On is the addition of the option to let Microsoft try features. The other is the apparent inability to log back into a Microsoft Account after changing to a local account, which will not allow future Preview build downloads.

It seems they are modifying the usage of Skype, but I am not clear on exactly what they are doing or why.

No it WON'T on mine because I am not having it. I am sticking with Windows 7-End of story. It cannot update itself if you don't let it. What I have done is look out for the update that tells you to upgrade and hide the update in Windows Update. So it won't install on my computer.

one significant unknown: the ability to downgrade
While I sympathize, there has never been an ability to downgrade Windows, unless you make an image backup of your system beforehand.

Alternatively, in spite of being a Beta tester (5 million currently), if you are using Windows 7 or Windows 8, you will be offered the download in the normal way.???
The offer for Windows 7 and Windows 8 is currently valid for 1 year. You can reserve your free upgrade through Windows Update. I think there is going to be a website from Microsoft where you can generate a product key, if you cannot reserve it through Windows Update, but I cannot say for sure.

@kemical mentioned to me that a member of the Windows product team did confirm you will be able to do a clean install right here.

We must then presume, although not with 100% certainty, that Microsoft may offer a .ISO file for Windows 10, once it is commercially available.

No it WON'T on mine because I am not having it. I am sticking with Windows 7-End of story. It cannot update itself if you don't let it. What I have done is look out for the update that tells you to upgrade and hide the update in Windows Update. So it won't install on my computer.
No need for such a complicated procedure, Andrea. All you need to do, when you see the icon/message, (you should already have it?), offering you the opportunity to reserve the upgrade, is not take any action.

No need for such a complicated procedure, Andrea. All you need to do, when you see the icon/message, (you should already have it?), offering you the opportunity to reserve the upgrade, is not take any action.
Well I don't update my PC very often as it takes up a lot of times.So I don't have the icon at all. You need to hide the update when you see it in Windows Update then you won't get the reminder.

Back