Windows 7 Why Windows 8 so fast?

sirloyne

Banned
Windows XP came out in October of 2001. Vista came out in January of 2007. 7 came out in November of 2009. If windows 7 is supposed to be the greatest thing on Earth, why is Windows 8 coming out already? I realize that there was only a 6 year delay between XP and Vista, and understandably only a little over 2 between Vista and 7. Is Windows 8 meant for the tablets and touch screens of the world and not for desktops and laptops? I won't lie, I'm still using XP. You can call me antiquated or whatever you like, but until Microsoft comes out with an OS that can group files and folders alphabetically (like XP) and not in very large chunks (like 7) and focuses more on function and less on form (I'm not as impressed by rounder corners and brighter blues as other folk) I wouldn't consider it an "upgrade". Doing less. but looking good doing it doesn't work for me. Anyway, I'm getting sidetracked here... Why is Windows 8 coming out already? I just read on Wikipedia that beta versions are coming out in February of 2012... that's next month! It seems that they (Microsoft) are trying to sweep 7 under the rug faster than Vista.

Another thing I just read at Wiki... under "New Features" for Windows 8...

"Windows 8 will come with Windows Store, an online marketplace for buying, selling, and advertising applications."

Now if that isn't worth upgrading, nothing is.

Don't forget that the preview Windows made public of Windows 8 doesn't have all of the bloatware in it yet either. It also has MSE built in instead of having to use third part AV and firewall software. It will be interesting to see the beta and release candidate.
Joe

Ok, let me try to clarify something a bit, here. It starts w/ this... (new) Windows OS releases are supposed to be on a 3 year life-cycle. This does not mean when 1 is released the 1(s) before (it) suddenly die or become obsolete.

XP hung around much longer than it was supposed to, largely due to the release of Vista being delayed. MS was struggling w/ Vista & Windows 7 did a good job of turning things around. But, YES, there is 3 years between 7 & Windows 8... end of 2009 to end of 2012.
Windows 8 is not yet Built or Released... Developer Previews & Betas do not count... & we have not even started testing & critiquing this forthcoming OS.

As for 'bloatware'... that gets added by 3rd party manufacturers when they pre-load the OS into their retail boxes... it doesn't get added to the OS itself. And, yes, it's great MSE will (now) be native, saving people putting it in, anyway.

Ever seen "New & Improved" on products @ the grocery store? Cars, annually w/ new models & deals on last year's? Is the 'old' suddenly no good? NO. Do folks sudddenly (have to) stop driving last year's or throw the box of Tide in the laundry room in the garbage? NO. Look @ the changes in TVs, telephones & space travel. Times, society, technology, what we want, demand, think we need changes over time. Is it always better? Usually but, it's also, subjective, some will see the point, appreciate it, learn it, explore it, welcome it or not, now or later, much is attitude. But, @ least @ the onset, is anyone forced to go w/ what's 'new'? NO. Still, it's really no different than accepting hybrid & electric cars, push-button phones or transatlantic air travel.

As for Win8 being fast... due to the under-the-covers technology it's inevitable. As for its format... a lot of the rational IS due to phones, tablets & how things we do & use are going... to have consistancing across all devices & platforms. There are generations behind us you welcome all this stuff, even take it all for granted. Although, I'm already, starting to tire of the arguing, I'll try to address this, alleged lack of a 'Start' (menu)...

1st, it is necessary to have TOUCH for Windows 8? NO!
The Start Menu was introduced in Win95 & is being retired w/ Windows 8, end of story.
Is this a bad, maddening or horrible thing? Ah, not necessarily, @ all... a lot of that depends of point of view.
Personally, w/ Windows 7, I have Quick Launch (which can, also, be used w/ Windows 8!), things Pinned to the Taskbar, Links for Favorites Bar items and NO Desktop icons. I rarely open the Start Menu itself, to find an occasionally want program but, mostly, via Search, just start typing what I seek.

Now, we (will) have a Start Screen, rather than Menu. Can it be defeated, bring back the 'traditional' Start Menu by mucking about in the Registry? YES. There is mixed schools of thought about whether or not this shut of other things, as well, such as the terrific 'new & improved' Task Manager. But, is it fundamentally necessary? NO. It is VERY quick & easy to go bypass or back & forth from the Start Screen to the actual Desktop. I have been using Windows 8 (DP) since September; once one learns what the whole thing can do & how it works, it is actually damn sweet, convenient & easy.

Oh, and, somewhere some1 in here said they hated/would hate Windows 8 because of, among many reasons that didn't hold water, one HAD to have a password to get into Win8 which wasn't necessary w/ Windows 7... this is false... I use no P/W w/ my Win7 NOR w/ my Win8. It's still recommended to use 1 but, not required.

As for Apps & Windows Store... both are here. Being able to build & write (Metro) Apps quickly & easily by all the geeks (mean in the nicest way, lol) will be very excited by this & the rest of the world can benefit from or by the availablity of things the Developers make... if one is interested...and many will be...same as they love the stuff on their phones. Our culture is based on 'Free Enterprise' & being competitive in the Marketplace & giving ppl what they want or making them 'think' they want it... It's, again, just how things are going... MS, in this aspect, is simply keeping in sync w/ other brands & offerings... the same as many other industries & products. Nothing means one must 'upgrade'... just that this is what you can or will have IF they do or when someone is newly getting into computing. Time & tecnology marches on w/ or w/out a person's use, interest, attitude or understanding.

I written more than I planned, ergo, I'll stop here :)

Cheers,
Drew

Answer is simple. They do not want to miss the boat in the exploding market of mobile devices. And for that they need a system that supports the ARM (Risc) CPUs and a touchscreen interface. The traditional PC support is only a byproduct. That's why so many traditional PC users are up in arms.

Anyone, even the least bit curious about Win-8, should be reading the Windows8forums.com instead of posting questions here. Eh?

Windows 8 is really not meant as an upgrade for existing computers, but as an OS for the new 'Touch Screen' AIO computers and the tablets, android phones, etc.

I've been running the Developers Preview of Win-8 now for several months and I have to admit, I somewhat like it. It is definitely faster than any previous OS in the last six years or so, if those OS's are stock and un-tweaked.
However I can make any OS from XP up, run almost twice as fast with a few registry tweaks (adjustments).

I can even make Vista, turn from a little beastie into a lamb. And it has several nice attributes that were removed in Win-7.

Back on Topic:
Win-8/DP has very limited Themes, Wallpapers, sounds, etc., but it has an enormous driver store.
When I installed it on my main (home built) PC, the installer picked up all my installed hardware, plus my Epson Workforce 500 AIO printer. I've never seen any OS do that before. I just sat here in stark amazement.

I even have Win-8/DP (64 bit) installed and running on a six year old Compaq desktop, with a single core, 32 bit, cpu, only 512 megs of ram and I changed the old slow IDE hard drive to a newer and much faster SATA II drive. (the SATA ports (2) were already on the motherboard, but were unused.) Since the install, I've upgraded the ram to 2 gig's.
I'm surprised that Win-8 would even install on that old PC, let alone run as good as it does.:confused:

Cheers Mates!
:cool:

Nice to have mention of a 1st-hand experience w/ the fact that Win8 is not hardware demanding! Helps dispell the myths & rumours being spread towards need to make hardware changes & or loss of ability for things to install or run. Telling folks this (about Windows 8) is all well & good but, from someone who has actually done it, even better. W/out delving into WHY, as far as the technology under the surface, Windows 8 is WHAT it is & 1 of what makes it special, is how little it demands & how much it is compatible. Thanks.

Drew

As soon as the Win 8 CP (consumers preview) is released I will install over my Win 8 DP. Perhaps some of the picky little things with the DP will be fixed and I will use it full time for a while. We'll see. I believe I will still turn off the Metro UI. We'll see. Bring it on!

Nice to have mention of a 1st-hand experience w/ the fact that Win8 is not hardware demanding! Helps dispel the myths & rumors being spread towards need to make hardware changes & or loss of ability for things to install or run. Telling folks this (about Windows 8) is all well & good but, from someone who has actually done it, even better. W/out delving into WHY, as far as the technology under the surface, Windows 8 is WHAT it is & 1 of what makes it special, is how little it demands & how much it is compatible. Thanks.
Drew

At the risk of sounding 'dense', what exactly is "Hardware Demanding" ???

I would have to say, from my own vast experience :rolleyes: that Win-8 is, if anything, Hardware Friendly.
Here's why I say that.

My Main PC which day in and day out runs Winders XP-Pro-SP3, is now going on five years old.
I've already had to remove the bulging capacitors and replace them with new ones. But this MSI
mobo is pretty main stream as far as the drivers it requires. Nothing weird or unusual.
I said all that to say this:

I've installed Win-8/DP several times already, for one reason or another. The last time I installed
it on a fresh, clean HD, being the only HD connected to my mobo at the time, and I had left my
Epson Workforce 500, AIO printer turned on, which it is a lot.

So when the Win-8 installer did it's thing, it picked up all the hardware inside my system and then
if found my printer and installed that too. WOW! How it do dat?
It didn't have a specific driver for my Winfast video card, (which I think uses some NVidea chipset) but it loaded some kind of generic driver that just works GREAT!
It would seem to this old guy, that Win-8 has one heck of a (huge) driver store and is exceptionally intuitive in finding and loading drivers that just WORK.

With every previous OS that I've installed, I've had to dig out my motherboard driver disk, my video
card driver disk and my Epson install disk. What a pain in the arse that can be. Eh?
Like ducks, driver disks seem to just Go South after a while.

So, with experience comes knowledge and my experience tells me that Win-8 is going to be very user
and hardware friendly. At least once you disable that nuisance called the 'Metro UI'.

There must be a self destruct timer built into Win-8/DP somewhere, but I really hope that some very
smart programmer (Hacker) finds a way to disable it. Just sayin' :wink_smile: It would make a very nice OS
for the really Po' folks of the world. (I'm almost there!)

Cheers Mates!
Me :cool:

Absolutely it is/will be "Hareware Friendly". What I meant by "not resource demanding" is will not, in most cases, require hardware 'upgrading' to run, will work on older gear & doesn't need super robust CPUs or heaps of RAM.

Drew

I do have a Robust system. It runs every OS that I throw at it with ease.
I can even run five Anti-Malware scanners all at the same time and still work the forums and receive email and see no lagging at all.

Win-8 on my system just purrrrrrrs along like a kitten with a full belly. :) Ya gotta luv it!

I've set up brand new computers for my customers that don't even run as good as mine, and I tweak and tune those PC's to get every bit of performance out of them that I can.

Speaking of...... I just installed a new Asus desktop PC, that I found to have a Laptop HD in it, setting on spacers so it would fit in a standard 3.5" drive bay. They can't run at optimum performance with a little laptop drive.
Had I bought that PC myself, I would have taken it right back to the store (Best Buy) and demanded a full refund.
Yes, that PC is a bit of a dog! It replaced a five year old eMachine, so maybe the new owner won't notice the dogginess too much.

Cheers Mate!

I do have a Robust system. It runs every OS that I throw at it with ease.
I can even run five Anti-Malware scanners all at the same time and still work the forums and receive email and see no lagging at all.

Win-8 on my system just purrrrrrrs along like a kitten with a full belly. :) Ya gotta luv it!

I've set up brand new computers for my customers that don't even run as good as mine, and I tweak and tune those PC's to get every bit of performance out of them that I can.

Speaking of...... I just installed a new Asus desktop PC, that I found to have a Laptop HD in it, setting on spacers so it would fit in a standard 3.5" drive bay. They can't run at optimum performance with a little laptop drive.
Had I bought that PC myself, I would have taken it right back to the store (Best Buy) and demanded a full refund.
Yes, that PC is a bit of a dog! It replaced a five year old eMachine, so maybe the new owner won't notice the dogginess too much.

Cheers Mate!
I stopped using HDDs for the OS. All my systems (2 desktops and 4 laptops) run on SSDs now. That is particularily easy for the desktops because you only need a 60GB SSD if the user data is moved to the HDD. My last 60GB M4 cost only $104 at Newegg and prices keep coming down. So money should generally be no object.

On laptops it is a bit more expensive because you should be using a 120GB SSD. This plus some 16GB sticks for $12 should suffice.

The results are really impressive. Everything is instant and the boot times are between 12 and 20 seconds. And the 20 seconds are for a 2007 laptop with an AMD 1.8GHz Duo Core CPU. But with the i5s and i7s it is closer to 12 sec.

Windows XP came out in October of 2001. Vista came out in January of 2007. 7 came out in November of 2009. If windows 7 is supposed to be the greatest thing on Earth, why is Windows 8 coming out already? I realize that there was only a 6 year delay between XP and Vista, and understandably only a little over 2 between Vista and 7. Is Windows 8 meant for the tablets and touch screens of the world and not for desktops and laptops? I won't lie, I'm still using XP. You can call me antiquated or whatever you like, but until Microsoft comes out with an OS that can group files and folders alphabetically (like XP) and not in very large chunks (like 7) and focuses more on function and less on form (I'm not as impressed by rounder corners and brighter blues as other folk) I wouldn't consider it an "upgrade". Doing less. but looking good doing it doesn't work for me. Anyway, I'm getting sidetracked here... Why is Windows 8 coming out already? I just read on Wikipedia that beta versions are coming out in February of 2012... that's next month! It seems that they (Microsoft) are trying to sweep 7 under the rug faster than Vista.

Another thing I just read at Wiki... under "New Features" for Windows 8...

"Windows 8 will come with Windows Store, an online marketplace for buying, selling, and advertising applications."

Now if that isn't worth upgrading, nothing is.

No I don't think they will bring out Windows 8 that quickly. But I did notice that in one of the big stores in England that they have sold out of a lot of netbooks.

It cannot be that the shops are now thinking of selling Windows 8 laptops can it?
I hope not because I don't want to go on Windows 8. Andrea Borman.

Somebody, please tell me where the Ignore button is so, I'm not tempted to respond to certain things.

Andrea, bloody well learn how to read!! Just read, don't write. I had, already, answered what 'sirloyne' had written!! Try reading THAT!!

I have said all over the place, Windows OS releases are on a 3 yr interval. ARE, present tense, the timelines to prior OSs is irrelevant! For the umteenth time, Windows 7 late Fall 2009 & Windows 8 will be almost exactly the same time 2012... he, guess what.... THAT'S 3 YEARS! Betas surface several months before the final release & so what???; betas don't really count, they are not a final product AND they expire!! The point or concern (here) is final General consumer release.

There is no effort to sweep or prematurely sweep Win7 under any rug... it can & will live on for a long time! Same is no longer true for XP. Nobody is forced or oblidged, @ the end of 2012 to switch to Win8. But, OF COURSE, new computers, pre-loaded desktops and laptops, starting Fall 2012, will be Win8 machines. All this I said, already, too but, sadly you have 'selective reading' skills.

Please, somebody tell me where the Ignore button is, please.

Drew

Well I am not the only person who does not like Windows 8 and dreads it being made a reality. You take a look at this video I have just been watching. This man has a lot of videos on his channel about Windows 8. And he has found nothing but problems with it. See here-Windows 8 uninstall program - why its worse than Windows 7 uninstall program - YouTube

So if other people who are more experienced with computers cannot manage with Windows 8 and cannot use it. How will I be able to? The answer is I won't be able to manage with Windows 8 or be able to use it. Andrea Borman.

That guy can't know much. It only took me about 10-15 min searching to find a program to get rid of Metro and have the Windows start menu back on the start orb like Windows 7. Just because they have YouTube videos don't make them smart.
Joe

Well Windows 8 is going to be a real problem. Take this other post I read here-This author say that Windows users who need a new computer should get a new Windows 7 PC now. "If not you will have something far far worse to worry about. If you don't get a new PC now,you will be stuck with the disaster called Windows 8. What's wrong with Windows 8? Just about everything." See here-Why You Should Ditch Your Windows XP Laptop Right Now | PCWorld

He's right you know. We will have something far far worse to worry about if we get stuck with Windows 8. Unless Microsoft get rid of the no start menu and Metro theme. And make it like Windows 7,with a normal start menu and normal Windows desktop.

I love Windows and I am very sorry that I missed out on Windows 2000,and 98. Because I started using the computer late. And they don't sell Windows 2000 any more. But I would love to try Windows 2000 if I could.

If I had bought a computer years before 2010, I could have had a Windows 2000 laptop now.

But I have got windows XP and Windows 7 both are good. Windows Vista I am not sure about. But all versions of Windows you can use because you have a start menu and normal desktop.

But not on Windows 8,you do not have that. Microsoft have made good versions of Windows in the past,but Windows 8 is not one of them.

And unfortunently Microsoft have made it clear to us. That they are not going to bring out Windows 8 without the Metro theme,and with a normal start menu. At least it sounds like that from what I read. Andrea Borman.

Well I am not the only person who does not like Windows 8 and dreads it being made a reality. You take a look at this video I have just been watching. This man has a lot of videos on his channel about Windows 8. And he has found nothing but problems with it. See here-Windows 8 uninstall program - why its worse than Windows 7 uninstall program - YouTube

So if other people who are more experienced with computers cannot manage with Windows 8 and cannot use it. How will I be able to? The answer is I won't be able to manage with Windows 8 or be able to use it. Andrea Borman.

Andrea, You will never be able to use it because you are not even trying. Make a 25GB partition on your system and install the Developer Edition or wait a few weeks for the Beta. Then we talk. Else this discussion will be all fluff and a smokescreen. Get down to facts.

No I don't have Windows 8 installed on any of my laptops. And they are all netbooks with no CD drive. So I don't think I could install it anyway,even if I wanted to.

There is a setting in Windows to partition the hard disk. But if I did that, I might mess up my computer.

And there is another thing. If you install Windows 8, which is only in developers preview.When the final version comes out,the developers preview will no longer be valid. And as you know,you have to activate and validate Windows. And if your copy is not valid, or no longer valid, as developer and beta version won't be. Then your Windows goes into restricted mode, and you will no longer be able to use it.

It was the same with Windows 7 developers preview and Windows 7 beta.They were valid for a short time. But now they have expired and you can no longer use them.

And I read that you cannot uninstall Windows 8. So what do you do when the developers preview and beta versions expire? If you cannot get them off your computer? Andrea Borman.

Fruitless as it may be, let me try to STOP this in its tracks...

THERE IS NO WINDOWS 8! Do you hear me, yet, Andrea? I'll repeat it, just for you, just to be sure... THERE IS NO WINDOWS 8!

When there is a Windows 8 built & released late in 2012, then, you can talk about it, god knows you won't actually touch it, you can even spew misinformed, misguided, attention-getting, blind, synical, biased, hearsay, @ that time BUT, until such time that there actually is an actual, finished, in-hand, Windows 8, STOP!

Who said that Windows 8 is going to be released in late 2012?

Maybe I should do what my friends say and pluck up the courage to write to the Prime Minister complaining about Windows 8. And then maybe he will ban Windows 8 in England. And then we won't have to worry about it any more.

Maybe other Windows users should do that too,write to their Presidents or Prime Ministers. And then we can keep Windows 7 and never be forced to buy Windows 8. Andrea Borman.

Back