Windows 7 Why you should say no to Windows 8 and stick with Windows 7.

Yea, but remember to run the "Download Windows 8 Consumer Preview" link first even if all you want to do is download the .iso. You will need to get the product key from there to use with the image. Just a heads up, I made that mistake.

I installed Windows 8 Consumer Preview and unfortunately it is NOTHING like the Developers Preview. Which was quite a good OS and you could disabled the Metro theme.And have a Classic,a Windows XP or Windows 7 start menu both with the Metro theme enabled or disabled.

But in Windows 8 CP this is not the case and also the operating systems is quite unusable. See my post here on the Windows 8 forums-Comsumer Preview Download - Page 2

There is no way to disable Metro theme on Windows 8 CP none of the software like Metro Controller works. And classic Shell does not work in consumer preview. And you cannot even pin shortcuts to your desktop due to a problem with the ribbon toolbar in Windows Explorer. That freezes your mouse and won't let you right click to select send to desktop to create a shortcut.

If you don't believe me you can try Windows 8 consumer preview for yourself. And you will uninstall it like I did and go back to Windows 7. Andrea Borman.

"Windows 8 consumer preview is NOTHING like the Developers Preview. And so I have had to uninstal it and go back to Windows 7" Folks, whilst trying to make sense out of this statement, please try to learn something from it... 1. where in a sense it is true the Beta is nothing like the DP, in fact it is vastly more sophisticated & by far superior to the DP. 2. 'going BACK to Windows 7' should never be in the picture when dealing w/ a Beta OS... they should ONLY be in addition to a current, non-beta OS, in addition NOT, instead!! ONLY as virtual machines or as multi-boot configs or on spare boxes. Ergo, 'going back' never enters into the equation. Regards, Drew

"Windows 8 consumer preview is NOTHING like the Developers Preview. And so I have had to uninstal it and go back to Windows 7" Folks, whilst trying to make sense out of this statement, please try to learn something from it... 1. where in a sense it is true the Beta is nothing like the DP, in fact it is vastly more sophisticated & by far superior to the DP. 2. 'going BACK to Windows 7' should never be in the picture when dealing w/ a Beta OS... they should ONLY be in addition to a current, non-beta OS, in addition NOT, instead!! ONLY as virtual machines or as multi-boot configs or on spare boxes. Ergo, 'going back' never enters into the equation. Regards, Drew

Yes,it's true am afraid.Windows 8 Consumer preview is nothing like the developers preview. It is-THE OPERATING SYSTEM THAT NOBODY CAN USE.

I think that I and other Windows users and all of use have been taken for a ride by Microsoft. We have been conned.

Microsoft have taken away our right to have a start menu and if they do what they did with Windows XP and Windows Vista. That is stop selling windows 7 and we are forced to buy this version of Windows 8. Nobody will be able to use it.

And not only that, but if Microsoft make secure boot on Windows 8,we won't even be able to install other operating systems like Windows 7 or Windows XP. So we won't even be able to go back to Windows 7,Windows XP,Windows Vista,or whatever version of Windows we were using before. As that right too will be taken away from us.

So now I AM going to write that letter to the Prime Minister and I suggest you all do the same thing. And also we should go to the European Court Of Human Rights Against Microsoft's diabolical plans to force us to use an operating system we cannot use. And take away our right to have a start menu and install other versions of Windows like Windows 7,Windows XP and other operating systems on new computers.

Which is a violation of our human rights.Microsoft have got no right to do this to use. as most people cannot use an operating system without a start menu. And even on Linux you have a start menu.

But if Microsoft get their way,we won't be able to install other operating systems on new computers,not even Windows 7 or Windows XP. Andrea Borman.

OMG, here we go, again. Had been long enough that is seemed (happily) that this person had been banned from this Forum. Alas... (sigh) The volcano is spewing its flaming gibberish, once again. Doesn't deserve to be dignified w/ an answer... looks like we are back on "Ignore", once again, Folks.

OMG, here we go, again. Had been long enough that is seemed (happily) that this person had been banned from this Forum. Alas... (sigh) The volcano is spewing its flaming gibberish, once again. Doesn't deserve to be dignified w/ an answer... looks like we are back on "Ignore", once again, Folks.

No,it is really true. I am not lying about the new Windows 8 Consumer Preview it IS THAT BAD. You really cannot disable the Metro theme and I did have all of those problems I wrote about.

I could not use my mouse properly in Windows Explorer because there must be some sort of a bug. as no matter what toobar you have in windows explorer,it should not stop you right clicking with your mouse to send items to the desktop. Even a ribbon toolbar should not do that.

When I posted on another forum about how usable Windows 8 Developers Preview was. They told me that you would not be able to disable Metro or use Classic Shell on the Consumer Preview. I though that they were just winding me up. Until I tried Windows 8 Consumer preview for myself and I found out it was true.

But what Microsoft have done to us is absolutely wrong. How dare they deny us the right to have a start menu. Even Linux users have a better deal than us.They get to choose what version of Linux they want. But we cannot. as in England you can no longer buy Windows 2000,Windows XP or Windows Vista,only Windows 7.

And now they are planning to force us to buy this version of Windows 8 that we cannot use. And not only that but Microsoft are planning to make secure boot. which means that not only will we not be able to install other operating systems on new computers. But we won't be able to install Windows 7 or Windows XP either. Now do you see the problem? Andrea Borman.

Andrea, stop it, once again. Many of us are using Windows 8 w/ fun & enjoyment & w/ impressed appreciation. It is 100% invalid to say it's unusable & nothing is a "problem" unless one wants to see one... it's not others who are having a problem seeing things. & we knew the Metro disables would not work after the DP.

Andrea, stop it, once again. Many of us are using Windows 8 w/ fun & enjoyment & w/ impressed appreciation. It is 100% invalid to say it's unusable & nothing is a "problem" unless one wants to see one... it's not others who are having a problem seeing things. & we knew the Metro disables would not work after the DP.

Well I did not know that the software and edits to disable Metro would not work after the DP. I thought Windows 8 CP would be like Windows 8 DP but it is not. that is why I and other people cannot use it.Andrea Borman.

Last edited:
OMG, will you please stop bothering us w/ your comments. People CAN, certainly use it. I, for one of many, am using it quite nicely & happily, thank you very much. Please, don't put people in our Forum through any more of this frustrating rubbish & waste of space. Please, have a heart & don't be a bother here anymore. The Forum does not need the silly distraction from valuable writings. Was so happy thinking Admin had taken appropriate action.

OMG, will you please stop bothering us w/ your comments. People CAN, certainly use it. I, for one of many, am using it quite nicely & happily, thank you very much. Please, don't put people in our Forum through any more of this frustrating rubbish & waste of space. Please, have a heart & don't be a bother here anymore. The Forum does not need the silly distraction from valuable writings. Was so happy thinking Admin had taken appropriate action.

But I could not use Windows 8 Consumer preview I really could not. And I was on Windows 8 all night trying to get it to work. But in the end,I had to give up and reinstall Windows 7. It just got too much for me as the operating system was not working properly or right.

Windows 8 Developers Preview worked, but Windows 8 Consumer preview does not. So they should have made the CP the same as the DP.

As Developers Preview was like Windows 7. But Consumer Preview is not.Andrea Borman.

But I could not use Windows 8 Consumer preview I really could not. And I was on Windows 8 all night trying to get it to work. But in the end,I had to give up and reinstall Windows 7. It just got too much for me as the operating system was not working properly or right.

Windows 8 Developers Preview worked, but Windows 8 Consumer preview does not. So they should have made the CP the same as the DP.

As Developers Preview was like Windows 7. But Consumer Preview is not.Andrea Borman.
Andrea, I'm having no problem with Windows 8 CP. In fact, I like it much better than Windows 8 DP. Mabye because I'm not a developer, who knows?

There has been many gripes about a new OS that is far from a finished product. There has been praise as well. It runs fine & uses less resources on my desktop than Windows 7 does. It's already become my default OS (on my desktop only), after only 3 days of use. I'm not using Windows Defender, I have a trial version of Avast 7 Internet Security installed. Plus a trial of MBAM Pro. And I practice safe computing practices. So I'm well protected.

But I don't use it for transactions yet. Take the time to discover & learn, you'll get used to it. You got used to Windows XP, Windows 7 & Windows 8 DP. So you can get used to Win 8 CP also. The human mind has incredible natural adaptive technologies, meaning that humans, by nature, adapt to their surroundings quite well. Technology doesn't stand still, and neither can we.

If you would devote the time that you take to rant to learning the OS, it would be more productive for you. Check this out. Read it all before making an opinion. There's a lot of useful info there that can help, along with the ranting.

AnandTech - Windows 8 Consumer Preview: The Four Corners

Cat

Andrea, I'm having no problem with Windows 8 CP. In fact, I like it much better than Windows 8 DP. Mabye because I'm not a developer, who knows?

There has been many gripes about a new OS that is far from a finished product. There has been praise as well. It runs fine & uses less resources on my desktop than Windows 7 does. It's already become my default OS (on my desktop only), after only 3 days of use. I'm not using Windows Defender, I have a trial version of Avast 7 Internet Security installed. Plus a trial of MBAM Pro. And I practice safe computing practices. So I'm well protected.

But I don't use it for transactions yet. Take the time to discover & learn, you'll get used to it. You got used to Windows XP, Windows 7 & Windows 8 DP. So you can get used to Win 8 CP also. The human mind has incredible natural adaptive technologies, meaning that humans, by nature, adapt to their surroundings quite well. Technology doesn't stand still, and neither can we.

If you would devote the time that you take to rant to learning the OS, it would be more productive for you. Check this out. Read it all before making an opinion. There's a lot of useful info there that can help, along with the ranting.

AnandTech - Windows 8 Consumer Preview: The Four Corners

Cat

I don't have Windows 8 developers Preview anymore because when I installed the Consumer Preview it got upgraded to that.But I have reinstalled Windows 7 Home Premium on that netbook,because I could not get Windows 8 Consumer preview to work for me.

One of the main problems with Windows 8 Consumer Preview is this-

1- You cannot disable the Metro theme at all. As the option has been removed from code. And so none of the registry editis or software to do this works on CP. And any third party software such as Classic Shell which gave you a Windows XP start menu on Windows 8 DP does not work on CP.

On Windows 8 DP you could use Classic Shell and have a Windows XP start menu,with the Metro theme enabled or disabled. But you cannot on Consumer preview as Classic Shell no longer works on there. And also if you read the articles on the web they confirm that you cannot disable Metro in this version of Windows 8 Consumer Preview.

2-The second problem is that the ribbon toolbar in Windows explorer freezes your mouse or it did mine. So I could not right click to send shortcuts to my desktop. And also my screen resolution on all my netbooks is 1024 by 600 pixels which is the highest it will go. But you need a screen resolution of 700 or above to run metro apps.

Although this also was the case in Developers Preview and the Metro apps did not work. I could still run my other software such as Gom media player or Google Chrome that I installed myself. And also the Metro start menu was more user friendly in Developers preview. On Consumer preview they have made it a lot less user friendly.

And also on developers preview if you chose to use the Metro theme you also had the Windows XP start menu thanks to Classic Shell. So you could toggle between both the Metro start menu and the Windows XP start menu while in Metro theme. Or you could disable Metro completely and run it without the metro theme as I did.

But unfortunately none of these options exist in Windows 8 Consumer Preview. And the whole OS has been changed making it a lot harder if not impossible to use.

So you see there was no way I could have kept Windows 8 Consumer Preview the way they made it. If it had been the same as the developers preview,yes,I would have kept it. As even on DP the ribbon toolbar did not give me any problems nor did the Metro theme. But on CP it did.

So I had no choice I had to uninstall it and go back to Windows 7. and if they are going to make Windows 8 like this and they won't let you disable Metro. I will never use Windows 8,NO WAY.

Windows 8 Consumer preview is a disaster and nobody can use that OS. Andrea Borman.

I must remind you that the Consumer Preview is still in beta. Your reaction is entirely normal, and perhaps a healthy dose of reality for a developer who may stumble upon this thread. Not everyone is going to accept the transition to Metro UI, and it will be a difficulty. The Consumer Preview leaves much to be desired, I have found, because we do not really know what changes are going to be made to make the operating system "better" than Windows 7. I will remind you of a time several years ago when we were worried about Windows Vista and the sluggish performance of that operating system. Those who downloaded Windows 7 were pleasantly surprised that it performed much better than Windows Vista, and in many cases, on multi-core processors, it was able to outperform XP on certain benchmarks.

In this case, I believe that the introduction of new features may seem quite imposing on anyone testing the Consumer Preview. Intensive evaluations will need to take place regarding this OS before it can be called a disaster, and that especially includes waiting for the final release-to-manufacturer (RTM) bits. When we look at the whole picture, and not just the absence of the Start Menu, we are going to be approaching the idea of whether or not the entire world is going to abandon regular workstations, desktops, and laptops and do all of their work on touchscreens. That answer is clearly a resounding no, as you have clarified in many of your posts. I would encourage you not to over-dramatize the issue, whereas, you went so far to claim that Windows 8 "violates our civil rights". I think we need to put things into perspective here when we start talking about a OS.

A lot can happen before and after Windows 8 is released. Hopefully, some hearty feedback will be read here, on Windows8Forums.com, on all other greater Windows community forums, and the developers and Windows Client Team will get the idea that people do not want the Start Menu to disappear entirely. I have no intention of switching over to a touch screen monitor and desk any time soon, so I am with you on the Start Menu issue. I have yet to extensively test the CP because I dislike Metro, but that is a personal assertion. I can say I dislike it, but that does not mean I will condemn this system for everyone. We will see if Microsoft has something to say about making the OS acceptable for mouse and keyboard users who want to opt-out of Metro UI. I agree with you on that and I hope that feedback is well taken.

I think over-analyzing it and saying the entire thing is a complete and utter disgrace is not prudent right now. The OS simply is not complete and it is clear much work needs to be done. For my own concern and the concern of anyone I work with, I will specifically be looking at the operating system's performance. This includes disk I/O usage, memory utilization, 3D graphics engine improvements, and so forth. If the OS is generally more stable, more reliable, and outperforms Windows 7, this signals to me it is a success. There is already plenty of manageability in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. I think the real question does remain about how well people will accept the Metro UI.

For one, it can be brought out that Microsoft has attempted this interactive user environment numerous times, from a failed product called "Microsoft Bob" to the security nightmare that became "Active Desktop". It is important to note that these features were primarily never found in the Windows NT kernel, but in the retired branch of code from Windows 3.1 to Windows Millennium Edition (ME). However, there is a history of them attempting to redo the user interface or extend it beyond menus and icons, and it has been brought up by the forum team in private discussion. We are not the first to notice it:

Windows 8 Metro UI and how previous attempts to revamp the desktop failed | ZDNet

This is not to say Metro UI will fail. There is newer technology around. I just don't have thousands of dollars to spare to buy a touch screen desk so I can have a LED display a keyboard, and I don't think most businesses do either. That is my gripe, and I would have preferred they focused on reducing the OS overhead and making it faster and more efficient. I am sure they are doing that - but I don't view Metro UI as a road I need to go down for workstations, desktops, or even laptops right now.

An early mistake may be to come to a quick belief, with lack of evidence, that Metro UI is the only feature improvement in Windows 8. It looks like it could have a lot more to offer. Just how much, and what incentive there is to upgrade, will play an integral role in my decision making, and I imagine yours as well as many others.

Last edited by a moderator:
I must remind you that the Consumer Preview is still in beta. Your reaction is entirely normal, and perhaps a healthy dose of reality for a developer who may stumble upon this thread. Not everyone is going to accept the transition to Metro UI, and it will be a difficulty. The Consumer Preview leaves much to be desired, I have found, because we do not really know what changes are going to be made to make the operating system "better" than Windows 7. I will remind you of a time several years ago when we were worried about Windows Vista and the sluggish performance of that operating system. Those who downloaded Windows 7 were pleasantly surprised that it performed much better than Windows Vista, and in many cases, on multi-core processors, it was able to outperform XP on certain benchmarks.

The only thing different about Windows Vista from Windows XP was that it has UAC which most people disable. And it has a transparent theme called the Aero theme. And the start menu is in just one column not expanding in different columns like on Windows XP.

But you can still use Windows Classic theme which turns off Aero. And no matter if you use Aero theme or not on Windows Vista and Windows 7,you still have a start menu.

But on Windows 8 CP you have got nothing.Which makes it very hard to use and I had no end to problems with CP.

On Windows 8 DP you had the option to turn off Metro theme,even if hidden in the registry and you got the Windows 7 start menu. But on Windows 8 CP you cannot do this and you cannot even install third party software to do this. As none of the software that worked in Windows 8 DP works on CP,none at all.

If Microsoft are going to make Windows 8 they must make an option to turn off Metro and get the start menu back. Why won't they do that? They could include turn off Metro in the theme settings. Just like in Windows XP and Windows 7,you can set your theme to Windows Classic.Which is the Windows 98 desktop and start menu.

So why can't they have a turn off Metro in Windows 8? What is hard about including that option?

And what about the secure boot problem? I have just bought myself a plug in USB external DVD drive for my netbooks. And a couple of Windows 7 Home Premium full installation CDs.

But if the time came to buy a new laptop,how would we install Windows 7 over Windows 8 with secure boot? Which is what I would want to do if Windows 8 is going to be like this.Andrea Borman.

Last edited:
The only thing different about Windows Vista from Windows XP was that it has UAC which most people disable. And it has a transparent theme called the Aero theme. And the start menu is in just one column not expanding in different columns like on Windows XP.f

But you can still use Windows Classic theme which turns off Aero. And no matter if you use Aero theme or not on Windows Vista and Windows 7,you still have a start menu.

This is just not true about Windows Vista. Please see: Features new to Windows Vista - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, I agree with you about the Start Menu. So you have someone agreeing with you on an issue like the Start Menu. But to claim that only aesthetic changes and some minor security modifications were made in Windows Vista is not correct. There were major changes to how the operating system was even programmed and designed. This was best explained in a few documentaries on the subject about how they figured out a way to run Windows through a system whereas every possible interaction a person could do was performed by a bunch of algorithms. They used this method (and as far as I know maybe they still use it) to improve the code for Windows 7. The changes introduced with Windows Vista severely slowed down older computers, the TCP/IP network stack was upgraded, the Windows Display Driver Model was introduced, and a lot of other things were added with DirectX that slowed things way down. Eventually, the instability of the system itself was resolved after the Windows Server 2008 kernel was ported over in Windows Vista Service Pack 1. Then, the operating system utilization was drastically reduced with Windows 7. So a lot goes into these developments, not just what is seen on the screen or what you interact with on a regular basis.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel that Windows 8 CP will become Windows 8 RTM & a success. Note that this is my personal opinion, and I'm not forcing Windows 8 CP on anyone. It's just that I like what I see so far, not that crazy about the Metro UI myself, being that I don't have a touch display. Hopefully there will be some changes by RTM time.

What I can say, and this is what I was reading about prior to the Win 8 CP release, and I can confirm it. My desktop is a very low spec one, a HP Pavilion MS214, with an anemic 1.5GHz dual core CPU, it shipped with 2GB RAM (low for 64 bit Win 7), I upgraded that to 4GB. Viewing with the Task Manager using Windows 7 Pro x64, my CPU was nearly constantly running at 80% to 100%, very seldom did it drop lower than 70%. RAM usage was around 50 to 60% at idle. Fire up XP Mode, the computer is literally screaming.

On Wednesday around 1PM, I had Win 8 CP installed, updated & most of my favorite programs installed. Only my paid defrag program wouldn't install. No big deal, it's a beta OS, not a finished product.

What I did notice upon using Win 8 CP confirmed what I had been reading for months, that it's made to run well on lower spec computers, and it's doing just that on mine. As I'm typing this post, the CPU is reading 8% CPU usage. The RAM is reading 34% usage. Note that I have disabled Windows Defender & have Avast Internet Security 7 installed (in Trial mode now, will buy), MBAM Pro is in trial mode also.

OK, I'm now putting some stress on the computer, I'm doing a short scan with Avast IS, as I'm typing. CPU has not surpassed 43% usage as of yet, RAM is at 38%. This is amazing that I can have the PC running, typing a forum post & doing a virus scan, plus whatever other Windows processes are running, and my CPU/RAM isn't showing signs of being pushed at all. This PC has never ran this quiet. This cannot be a coincidence. I've had this PC since November 2009, and am quite familiar with it. The only OS's that comes close to these resource usage levels on this PC are Linux Mint, Ubuntu & Zorin OS.

This is not even close to being a finished OS yet, and I expect to have even better performance at RTM time. There is a bit of freezing using Windows Explorer, especially noticable to me when using USB flash drives, a hesitation to open installer files. But being only 4 days old at this point, and a pre-release version (not even a RC yet), I can't complain. I can only say that I'm happy with the results that Win 8 CP has given me.

As far as my much higher powered notebook (the one listed in my specs), I intend to stick with Windows 7 on it, as it has the backbone to carry a heavier OS & not grunt. Windows 7 running on it, uses a lesser percentage of resources than Windows 8 CP does on my desktop. With a i5, it idles at less than 5% CPU usage, and RAM at 26% (averages). That 26% of RAM usage is slightly over 2GB, the same as on my desktop when running Win 7.

Hopefully, Windows 8 will be a successful product. If it is, it will change the way that Windows computers are built. For the majority of users, those 16+GB RAM kits & those i7 CPU's that are unlocked for overclocking at above 4.0GHz will only be required for hard core gamers, and virtual machines will run quite adequately on a computer with far lesser specs.

It appears as though Microsoft is finally moving away from the power hungry OS's, and that's good for all. Computers will be able to run on much lesser resources, leading to lowered cost, and a cleaner environment. Nothing at all wrong with that, the auto makers have been doing it for years. It's good to see the computing industry making similar efforts.

Cat

Couple quick bits...

You know, now that you mention it, the machine is verwy, verwy quite. Hmm, no it's not this 'silent' when on Windows7, not @ all,,,yep, there is that difference AND, in my case, that's comparing 2 OSs on 1, same machine.

It was a 'big picture' concept behind Windows8. The wide array of devices where it can live & its low power needs are closely tied together.

Considering what we are seeing @ initial beta release is notably stunning. Some App don't work & some things are not yet compatible w/ IE10 BUT, yes, keep mindful, there's quite a ways to go yet... few more months of work.

We are flooding the Build Team w/ comment & requests.

As mentioned, I dual-boot, x64 W7 & 8. Gauges sitting on both Desktops whilst I am doing things (plural). The difference in those to readings is monstrous! Not only does the Win8 machine seem to hardly, even be working, but, it's the demeanour. The activity is somehow 'more relaxed'... less of levels jumping around or peaking... just calmer... may sound weird & not very techy but, it's my read on what I see & feel... it IS smooth & fast. For some reason I've not spent much time on 7 since Wednesday & that's ok cus I'm rather enjoying how 8 works.

I keep discovering cool little things @ each new turn or poke@ something.

Yes, we'll hear a lot of Metro/Start Menu ranting but, Windows8 will be a hit, no doubt, @ all.

Cat, check out the W8 Shortcuts & Nav Tips.

Last edited:
I have to agree. 8 is going to be an intersting improvement on the now of Windows. It was intersting to not see a start button the first time I started using 8, though now I don't even miss it at all. I was hoping that Microsoft would change or make a new statement in the last two OSes and they did that in 8. It is going to be fun on a bun to see what they come out with next.

Nope, am not missing it, @ all :) I have asked the Build Team to put a Power button on the Desktop or on the Taskbar. I'm happy to have discover the menu by Rt Clk bottom left corner or by WinKeyX. I, also, like what WinKeyQ gives :teeth_smile:

Speaking of which, take a look @ this, W8 Keyboard Shortcuts

This is what computing should have been, should be, will be...overdue but, paving the way.

Cheers,
Drew

Windows 8 Developers Preview was quite a good OS. Not as fast as Windows 7 or Windows XP but you could do your work on it and use it as your every day OS. You also had the option of turning off the Metro theme,which most people including me did. And then you got the Windows 7 start menu.

But even if you did not turn off the Metro theme you could still use it and find all of the settings. And if you had Classic Shell installed you had the Windows XP,Classic or Windows 7 start menu that you could use while you were in the Metro theme.classic Shell is a software that gives you both the Classic,Windows 98 and Windows XP start menu on Windows Vista and Windows 7.

But it also worked on Windows 8 Developers Preview. And Classic Shell worked with the Metro theme enabled. So you could switch between the Metro and Windows XP start menu. And it also worked with the Metro theme disabled,giving you a Windows XP start menu,as well as the Windows 7 start menu.

And Windows 8 DP worked quite well and there were very few crashes if any.

But Windows 8 Consumer Preview is another story. Everything under the sun is wrong with this version of Windows 8. Not having the start orb did not effect things as you could still bring up the start screen. But it was very slow.

And although you could use the Metro theme on it's own for most things in DP,on Consumer Preview it was A LOT LESS USE FRIENDLY. And they have made it HARDER to use.

Also Windows 8 Consumer Preview is very slow and constantly crashes.

And you CANNOT disable the Metro theme at all,no. the registry key to do this is gone. So i tried creating my own key string REP enabled and then set it to 0 but that did not work. And I tried all of the software like Metro Controller but that did not work. And Classic Shell did not work either on Consumer Preview. So Microsoft have made it that no matter what you do or try,or what software you install.You cannot disabled the Metro theme on Windows 8 Consumer Preview,no.

So if you need a Windows 7 start menu,too bad you cannot have it on Windows 8 CP,you are stuck with the Metro theme. And not only that but you cannot use the Metro theme.

But that was not my only problem. I managed to pin some shortcuts to my desktop and they stayed there. But I could not pin many items to the desktop.Because the ribbon toolbar in Windows Explorer froze my mouse making this impossible.

The ribbon was never a problem on Windows 8 DP but it is on CP. Also I had to access all control panel items from Windows Explorer. But another problem was that you cannot set the folder to large or medium view. The option was there but it was greyed out.

My netbook screen resolution is 1024 by 6oo pixels which is the highest it will go. But i found out that it needs to be at least 1024 by 700 for the Metro apps to work.

The Metro apps did not work on DP but I had my own installed software,Media player classic,Google Chrome that I downloaded from the Internet which worked.

All of the software I installed on CP worked but accessing it was a problem. Due to the problem in Windows Explorer and not having a start menu.

I could not even restart or turn off my computer without pulling the batteries out because you cannot find the power button on CP. And you cannot add a Windows 7 or Windows XP start menu to make things easier for you. There is no way you can do this on Windows 8 Consumer Preview.

Windows 8 Developers Preview was a lot more user friendly and you could disable the Metro theme and have a Windows 7 start menu. And also have a Windows XP or Windows 7 start menu with the Metro theme. If you installed Classic Shell or another software like it.

But you cannot do this at all on Windows 8 Consumer preview. And not only that the whole operating system gave me a lot of headache.

Verdict- one uninstall coming up.

I have already uninstalled Windows 8 Consumer Preview and reinstalled Windows 7 on my computer. And if this is the way Microsoft are going to make windows 8 I will NEVER use Windows 8 again.NO WAY.

As nobody can use it like this. Windows 8 Consumer preview is now a terrible operating system and you can blame Microsoft for that.

So Windows 8 Consumer Preview is-THE OPERATING SYSTEM THAT NOBODY CAN USE.

And it is for sure that if you try Windows 8 Consumer Preview YOU won't be able to use it either. You won't. Andrea Borman.

But even if you did not turn off the Metro theme you could still use it and find all of the settings. And if you had Classic Shell installed you had the Windows XP,Classic or Windows 7 start menu that you could use while you were in the Metro theme.classic Shell is a software that gives you both the Classic,Windows 98 and Windows XP start menu on Windows Vista and Windows 7.

But it also worked on Windows 8 Developers Preview. And Classic Shell worked with the Metro theme enabled. So you could switch between the Metro and Windows XP start menu. And it also worked with the Metro theme disabled,giving you a Windows XP start menu,as well as the Windows 7 start menu.

You are beating a dead horse. No matter how much you gripe and complain, but the fact remains that metro and ribbin is the way Microsoft and a lot of other software desingers are going to be headed. Get use to it.

And Windows 8 DP worked quite well and there were very few crashes if any.

But Windows 8 Consumer Preview is another story. Everything under the sun is wrong with this version of Windows 8. Not having the start orb did not effect things as you could still bring up the start screen. But it was very slow.

And although you could use the Metro theme on it's own for most things in DP,on Consumer Preview it was A LOT LESS USE FRIENDLY. And they have made it HARDER to use.

Also Windows 8 Consumer Preview is very slow and constantly crashes.

Crashes? Sounds like PEBKaC to me. Have you installed all the drivers for your system? Did you look to find any newer drivers that may exist for you system? Also you are running that crap happy netbooks. I have said it before and I will continue to say it, NETBOOKS ARE CRAP. Slow, under powered, unreliable and just in general a POS with no real value in the market at all. Hell checking e-mail is about all it can really do, and it is almost under powered to do that. Ditch the zero and get with a hero, but a computer worth a crap and you will see a major difference.

Verdict- one uninstall coming up.

I have already uninstalled Windows 8 Consumer Preview and reinstalled Windows 7 on my computer. And if this is the way Microsoft are going to make windows 8 I will NEVER use Windows 8 again.NO WAY.

As nobody can use it like this. Windows 8 Consumer preview is now a terrible operating system and you can blame Microsoft for that.

So Windows 8 Consumer Preview is-THE OPERATING SYSTEM THAT NOBODY CAN USE.

And it is for sure that if you try Windows 8 Consumer Preview YOU won't be able to use it either. You won't.

Okay, Angela..., er Andrea... yea that's right, Andrea. This is going to be a point that you have to understand and take to heart. If you want to be taken seriously as a computer anything then you have got to stop crying about computers and start doing things for yourself. As far as I know, none of us work for Microsoft and so none of us have inside knowledge of 8. Though we are still able to use and work with it. dose that make any of us smarter than the other...NO! A one armed retarted chimpanzie trying to screw a greesie football downhill could do this job and get it done. Though if you want to be good at it you have to stop with this, oh this didn't work the first time I did it, oh this is not doing it automaticly for me, oh the software didn't walk me through how to do it, crap and start doing things. If you don't know how to use the Metro UI, then learn how, don't just complain and cry about how hard it is to use. No one is going to hold your hand forever, at some point you will have to get out and start doing this stuff on your own. Now I'm starting to pull and Andrea. Any way, that is all I have to say about that.

Back