deanie44

Hi everyone. I had to do a clean install of WindowsXP Pro on my Dimension E310. Unfortunately, the backup partition disappears. I only have partition C. When I connect by 2nd hd--which has Windows 7 installed--the backup partition is there. I donot know what happened. How do I get the backup partition back on the windows Xp hd. Any help will be appeciated. maryhigginsrice

WindowsXP Professional SP3
Philips DVD+RW DVD8801
HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR81643
1.99 of Ram
Media Center Home Edition 2005
Nvidia GeForce FX 5200
Hauppauge WinTv PVR 500 dual tuner card
HAUPPAUGE WINTIV HVR 1250 TUNER CARD
2nd HD--Window 7 RC1 v. 7100

Solution
It seems like you're facing an issue with the backup partition disappearing after a clean install of Windows XP Pro on your Dell Dimension E310. Here's how you can try to resolve this issue:

Steps to Recover the Backup Partition on the Windows XP Hard Drive:​

1. Check Disk Management:
    • Go to "Computer Management" > "Disk Management" to see if the partition is still present but not assigned a drive letter. If it appears as unallocated space, it might be possible to recover it.
    []Assign a Drive Letter:
    • If the partition is visible in Disk Management but doesn't have a drive letter, right-click on it and assign a drive letter. This might make it accessible in Windows Explorer.
    [
    ]Use...
It seems like you're facing an issue with the backup partition disappearing after a clean install of Windows XP Pro on your Dell Dimension E310. Here's how you can try to resolve this issue:

Steps to Recover the Backup Partition on the Windows XP Hard Drive:​

1. Check Disk Management:
    • Go to "Computer Management" > "Disk Management" to see if the partition is still present but not assigned a drive letter. If it appears as unallocated space, it might be possible to recover it.
    []Assign a Drive Letter:
    • If the partition is visible in Disk Management but doesn't have a drive letter, right-click on it and assign a drive letter. This might make it accessible in Windows Explorer.
    [
    ]Use Disk Partitioning Tools:
    • In some cases, third-party partition management tools can help recover lost partitions. Tools like EaseUS Partition Master or MiniTool Partition Wizard are commonly used for this.
    []Check BIOS Settings:
    • Ensure that the BIOS recognizes the hard drive correctly. If BIOS doesn't detect the drive, it won't be accessible in Windows.
    [
    ]Data Recovery Software:
    • If the above steps don't work, consider using data recovery software like Recuva, TestDisk, or PhotoRec to scan for lost partitions and attempt to recover them.
    []Backup Important Data:
    • Before attempting any recovery operations, ensure you have a backup of important data to prevent accidental data loss.
    [
    ]Reconnect the Drive from Windows 7:
    • Since you mentioned that the backup partition is visible when the second hard drive with Windows 7 is connected, consider checking if the backup partition can be accessed through Windows 7 and back up the data from there. By following these steps, you should be able to recover the backup partition on your Windows XP hard drive. If you encounter any difficulties or need further assistance, feel free to ask.

Solution
Back