Windows 7 WiFi disconnects CONSTANTLY.

Cam493

My internet connection will work for about 10-20 minutes, and afterwards, the connection will die out, and I'm unable to connect to any access point.

I have a Dynex Enhanced Wireless G USB Adapter (DX-EBUSB) with the proper drivers installed, and I'm using Windows 7 (build 7057). The device worked fine on build 7000.

Which wireless router are you using? I had this very same problem with my Linksys WRT54G wireless router, and I flashed an open-source firmware to it that got rid of the problem. Linksys' firmware is a bit flakey, so if you have one of their routers, I'd highly recommend flashing it with either DD-WRT or Tomato firmware (depending on what model and version router you have). Just make sure to do your homework before flashing your router. It's very straight-forward and if you follow the instructions to the letter, you should have no issues. Don't skip any steps and make sure you have the correct firmware for your model/version of router or you could brick your router and possibly have to buy a new one.

I should mention that I'm using the 7000 build, but it sounds like exactly the same issue I was having.

Last edited:
Which wireless router are you using? I had this very same problem with my Linksys WRT54G wireless router, and I flashed an open-source firmware to it that got rid of the problem. Linksys' firmware is a bit flakey, so if you have one of their routers, I'd highly recommend flashing it with either DD-WRT or Tomato firmware (depending on what model and version router you have). Just make sure to do your homework before flashing your router. It's very straight-forward and if you follow the instructions to the letter, you should have no issues. Don't skip any steps and make sure you have the correct firmware for your model/version of router or you could brick your router and possibly have to buy a new one.

I should mention that I'm using the 7000 build, but it sounds like exactly the same issue I was having.

WIERD
did not have this problem with Windows 7 first beta, i'm up to RC1/7077 whatever it is

Had more problems with the RC than the beta. First tricking the all programs menu to show programs required copy and pasting all existing shortcuts in c:\users\username\whateverthehellitis\microsoft\windows\programs, created a new folder and copied all of them into that then everything showed up (wierd)

BUT

I already had a linksys router working great with the first windows 7, i previously already put tomato on it because my internet connection is shared between 3 floors and i run a business so I have to dedicate bandwidth to myself. But since the RC1 it disconnects randomly. Tried shutting off power save options and a ton of other things, no dice.

Chronic issue

This is a chronic issue in every build since 7022 with over a hundred complaints in many forums. Most users experience dropped internet (wired or wireless), no troubleshooting success, computer hangs upon restart requiring hard shutdown, then resets upon start up.

All the experts say this has to do with the buggy nature of daily builds which are not debugged compared to Beta and RC, well I just had it happen in RC 7100 within 20 minutes of first startup which irritates the hell out of me, a pc with Linksys WUSB54GSC v2 wireless adapter and WRT100 draft N router, all updated. It has happened on every build since 7022, but doesn't happen on 7000 which I am keeping on here.

If you have this happen then consider posting it on the special thread I just started on Neowin Win7 beta forum, 7100: Lose Internet Yet? - Neowin Forums= hoping it will catch MS attention. A similar thread on 7077 got dozens of similar reports.

Last edited:
also I have both a linksys router and the dynex wireless card
lol
There is another thread in this Forum http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-networking/3382-limited-connectivity-issue.html and in those 2 instances the factor in common is Linksys Wireless Router WRTG54 and Nvidia nForce Network adapters. No details about the Wireless adapter reported in either of them.

The thing we can say with certainty about Windows 7 Beta Builds is that only Build 7000 is Official Microsoft Beta released to the public for testing with license ; all other builds are from the wild. Even Build 7100 is not for most from MS servers. In many forums there are not enough hardware information posted with the symptoms, nor sufficient data adout the way things are looked at ( troubleshoot steps) to really come to valid conclusions to formulate a unform underlying cause. As posted in the other thread, I have not had the problem and I am using Wireless Router but not Linksys. From the number of downloads and users of Win 7 beta, the forum reports do not reflect , in my opinion, a sense of a widespread networking problem with Win 7 Beta or the Win 7 RC. In this forum there are only 2 threads with this issue I could see. I will take a closer look as I am interested to learn the issue.

I hope others having the issue post with all relevant details so we can take a good look at what could be the cause.

Internet Connection flaky

The following worked for me on Build 7000, I experienced the same dropping of the internet connection on RC1, going to try this tonight.

Windows Vista and later use randomised identifiers for IPv6 addresses.
You can configure this from the command line with the following command:

netsh interface ipv6 set global randomizeidentifiers

Or to switch it off (as it should be)

netsh interface ipv6 set global randomizeidentifiers=disabled
(makes the NIC get an autoconfigured IPv6 address that conforms to RFC 2464, as Mac OS X, Linux, Solaris and *BSDs do.)

Solved!

Thanks PierreKu, this actually worked. I was able to install build 7100 on 2 of my HP laptops with no problems, however when I put it on a friend's laptop his internet was inconsistent at best. He would not actually drop his connection, but it would sometimes transfer data so slowly that it was almost unuseable. Then 5 minutes later it might work fine. Hard line ethernet connection to the router worked 100%. He has an HP G60 laptop with a Realtek 5700 network adapter. Firmware was updated to most recent, so I tried rolling back, etc.. Checked all the buffer sizes. I was going to disable ipv6 via regedit, as many of us had to do in Vista. I tried this command line entry first and I have to say It Really Worked. Internet is now solid. Thanks for your help.

The following worked for me on Build 7000, I experienced the same dropping of the internet connection on RC1, going to try this tonight.

Windows Vista and later use randomised identifiers for IPv6 addresses.
You can configure this from the command line with the following command:

netsh interface ipv6 set global randomizeidentifiers

Or to switch it off (as it should be)

netsh interface ipv6 set global randomizeidentifiers=disabled
(makes the NIC get an autoconfigured IPv6 address that conforms to RFC 2464, as Mac OS X, Linux, Solaris and *BSDs do.)

Honestly I tried everyone's fixes, over 10 of them, for this wireless issue, and none worked, looked at over 5 different windows 7 forums.

I have a Tomato Router 1.23 with a Dynex Wireless Extended G USB

I was hearing individual problems with both products. Only thing that solved this was upgrading to 7127.

I was having this issue when I first installed win7, I managed to fix it by updating the drivers for my wireless card/dongle.

I am having the same problem as you, I have the same Dynex wireless n usb adapter running on xp, I have to unplug / plug back to get connection back, my brother's computer has wifi incorporated and connects to same router without losing connection, one thing though every time I plug the adapter the balloon pops up "this device can perform faster if connected to a hi speed 2.0 port" but I don't really know if that's the reason why I keep on disconnecting constantly.

Seems like windows 7 isn't liking your usb wireless adapter, would be better maybe to change it to a well known brand to keep you spared from future networking issues ...

To be honest, i never heard of that brand of your wirless usb adapter you where talking about, but then again i'm from Europe.

Back