Windows 10 Will a dual-band router auto-configure?

kevphil

Honorable Member
Will a dual-band router and a laptop's WiFi adapter automatically switch to 5GHz for more speed, or is this something I have to choose manually? If it's the latter, can someone refer me to a "how-to" article or video? (The laptop is from 2015.) Thanks!

5GHz is the radio frequency at which the wifi transmits. It does not relate to transmission speed per se which is defined by the protocol (802.11 a/b/c/g/n) so it comes down to which of the protocols are supported by either 2.4 or 5GHz. It is worth noting that 2.4 wll generally transmit over greater distances and penetrate obstacles more efficiently.

I am actually buying a used 2015 i5 5th Gen HP Laptop. And I'm sure it has the full gamut of protocols you mention: (802.11 a/b/c/g/n).

The purpose of the laptop is to connect via WiFi to my LG TV, in the hopes of getting hi-res video out of YouTube. I currently have an older, somewhat anemic laptop (a 6-7 year old ASUS E-Slate i3) that is just not cutting it. I have also installed a new AT&T Router, the PACE 5268AC.

So once I connect the new laptop to my WiFi network, the Computer and Router should figure out the best connection between each other automatically? I live in an apartment, and know for sure that there are at least a dozen or so similar networks nearby. I had read that overlapping signals could cause congestion, and that 5GHz was more "open."

I like to consider myself at least a moderately well-informed computer user (PC and Mac) but this WiFi stuff is brutal! LOL Thanks for your help, Pat, I really appreciate it!

Back