Windows 10 Will Microsoft's plans for Windows update be an issue?

Will Microsoft's plans for Windows update be an issue?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft's Windows 10 won't allow the user to configure Windows updates or make any of the changes usually accessible with previous versions. At best, if your using a Pro or an Enterprise version, you can defer the update until later. In a perfect world this would be fine but from time to time Microsoft does unfortunately release a bit of a stinker in the form of a dodgy update and having no way of stopping the install is to some a bit of a problem, myself included.

How you you feel about it?

This article explains what you can and can't do:
What you can and can't do

Last edited:
As it stands now....no doubt it will be an issue for most users. Unless it's fixed or set back to the settings of 7/8.1.

I have always had the impression that was a Preview build situation... A bad update could be a problem which would take some time to correct. We should know on July 29th, if you leave the Insider program and update to Windows 10 normally.

I have always had the impression that was a Preview build situation... A bad update could be a problem which would take some time to correct. We should know on July 29th, if you leave the Insider program and update to Windows 10 normally.
Clark did you read the article? I'm pretty sure this is how the final version will end up. I was hoping like you it was a preview 'thing' but evidence is mounting that it isn't... I've sent lot's feedback on this subject alone and so have plenty of others but it still looks like this will be implemented... Scary

No, I did not read the article. It seems articles lately can't seem to get an accurate picture regarding something Microsoft plans to do. Once Microsoft decides to do something, such as releasing Windows 8, they don't really care about what users want.

I have felt from the beginning Windows 10 will be an OS controlled by the Domain and the user will have very little input. One reason I am not really interested in the OS.

If you want to get noticed, you may want to go the Twitter path since you would at least see some response and not the bottomless pit they call "Feedback".

I was very interested in Windows 10 initially but I'm afraid the update situation has me afraid! Now I'm not even sure I want to 'upgrade' but I guess the sensible thing to do is wait and see...

The article seems to imply Home users will be the test base for the Enterprise installs. I suppose since they have added data gathering and reporting utilities to Windows 10, and earlier versions, they will be getting test data from all those installs.

If you have a feedback report for this situation, let us know what title to search for so we can add our "Me too".

I have this nagging suspicion Microsoft is planning on some other changes, with which I will not be happy, after the first year of usage.

Initially, I was on the upgrade soonest side of the fence. With articles and blogs, etc I began to sit on the fence and ponder.
The update issue is a consideration, but I am sure there will be a way to circumvent it.
My main concern, with the ultimate build now running on my desktop, is that I can see no performance advatage in moving on to Windows 10, from 8.1

In a perfect world this would be fine but from time to time Microsoft does unfortunately release a bit of a stinker in the form of a dodgy update and having no way of stopping the install is to some a bit of a problem, myself included.

Once Microsoft decides to do something, such as releasing Windows 8, they don't really care about what users want.

I have this nagging suspicion Microsoft is planning on some other changes, with which I will not be happy, after the first year of usage.

Nothing to ad...

Stuck on Windows 7 SP1 ATM, Windows 10 remains in VirtualBox !

OTT

Damn it... Now I've torn it. I installed Build 10159 and have fallen in love with Windows 10 all over again. They put right several things that seemed changed for no reason but I'm still unhappy about the plans for Windows update if they stay as they are. Guaranteed I'll sending feedback in..

I think user choice is essential. I think that this idea that people who are using the Insider Preview, who do not have a valid version of Windows 8.1, may have to choose between continuing to use the Windows 10 Insider Preview or staying on Windows 10 general release (when it comes out), is a false choice. Microsoft should, ideally, and even in their own interest, allow users with administrative privileges on a machine or a domain controller to opt-in or opt-out at any time. This similar model is used all over the place when it comes to software development. I like the idea of kernel updates potentially coming straight from Windows Update, but the ability to defer individual updates, or prevent them from being applied at all, has been essential for IT managers around the world. It will become a major issue if and when adoption to Windows 10 by businesses large and small becomes a reality. The problem really is a stinker for what is turning out to be a great OS, especially since what we saw in build 10135, I have to say that even I am impressed.

The pirating fratertiny, for various, some obvious, reasons, frequently reinstall.

This current plan does mean, theoretically, that if you are content to use the builds as they come out, and belong to the insider program, you can pirate the Windows 10 OS, forever "legally".

Me I will take the update plunge, I have no reason to fear the upgrade as I got a linux dual boot.
Those who are afraid of the transition may want to do the same, at least you will have a fallback OS to fill in the gap until you could get a reinstall image ready.
I recommend Linux Mint as it has the most windows like experience

Well they did with the start menu so anything is possible. Ultimately if starts effecting sales then it will surely change..

Yep. They might even climb up to Big Ben or Notre dame and start ringing the bell in protest.

Aww Angry mobs... They're the best aren't they..
angrymob.gif

Back