Windows 10 Win 10 Home update is stuck in loop

cherrio

Extraordinary Member
I have a ASUS Netbook (X200CA) that has received the free Win 10 upgrade a year or two ago. It recently went about it's business and installed one of the many Win 10 updates and has never been able to recover since that time (around 12/25/17 or shortly thereafter).

It gets to the blue Win 10 screen with the little dot ball circling around and it will do that forever if I let it (at least 24 hours).

1. I have downloaded the Win 10 ISO repair and created a repair console (I call it that) since I have no access to a recovery partion and I have never made an ISO image of the system.
1.1 I have tried every option on the repair choices with no ability to restore to an earlier point, and the only thing I can use from the advanced options is to get to the CMD prompt (although have not figured out how to elevate it or if that is even needed)

2. I can get to the C: OS drive and find the CBS log and have copied that to an USB drive. I have edited it down to just yesterday's try ~ #4 of getting this thing to complete the boot - that is attached to this post. The last two tries were last night (1/8/18) at and at 21:23 and then again at 21.48

CAN ANYONE READ THIS LOG AND MAKE SENSE OF WHAT IS LOOPING AND THEN PERHAPS I CAN GO SEARCH A MORE SPECIFIC QUESTION?????

Attachments

• cbs2.log.TXT
    43.1 KB · Views: 459
Whatever you try your going to need a copy of Windows 10. You can download the iso files for either disk or usb using the media creation tool found here: Download Windows 10

Using the above you can create either a disk or usb drive to boot from. This will allow you to either use the repair console or install a fresh version of windows.
Remember when installing win 10 and asked for an activation key to click 'I don't have one' as yours will be stored online and the os will activate automatically.

Looking at the log it looks like an update is looping trying to install but the trusted installer keeps failing for some reason.

The error 0x00000000 is being logged and this is usually caused by either corrupt or missing files.

Looks like the trusted installer keeps crashing. You may be able to boot into a recovery disc and run a repair on (sfc /scannow) on the disk and see if that helps. Otherwise a clean install may be in order.

1.1 I have tried every option on the repair choices with no ability to restore to an earlier point, and the only thing I can use from the advanced options is to get to the CMD prompt (although have not figured out how to elevate it or if that is even needed)

If you can get to command prompt then try these scans:
File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

Whatever you try your going to need a copy of Windows 10. You can download the iso files for either disk or usb using the media creation tool found here: Download Windows 10

Using the above you can create either a disk or usb drive to boot from. This will allow you to either use the repair console or install a fresh version of windows.
Remember when installing win 10 and asked for an activation key to click 'I don't have one' as yours will be stored online and the os will activate automatically.

Looking at the log it looks like an update is looping trying to install but the trusted installer keeps failing for some reason.

The error 0x00000000 is being logged and this is usually caused by either corrupt or missing files.

From my original post - nothing on the iso created repair disk - that I downloaded from MS and have access to on the netbook via usb port - works with the exception that I can use cmd to get to the drives
1. I have downloaded the Win 10 ISO repair and created a repair console (I call it that) since I have no access to a recovery partion and I have never made an ISO image of the system.

If you can get to command prompt then try these scans:
File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

1) It just doesn't work that way. There is no right click avaiable in any of these screens. I get the same result whether I right or left click on the "Command Prompt" in the right set of Advanced Options. I do not have anyway to elevate the command using Admin, the cmd prompt just brings me to the white/back cmd screen showing a drive "X" (sometimes it has been "K") which I am assuming is the MS Repair external USB connected DVD drive.

2) I attached the screens that give me access to the repair tools and I can get nothing to work. DSC05596.JPGDSC05597.JPGDSC05598.JPGDSC05599.JPGDSC05600.JPG

3) when I type sfc /scan now, how do I know it the tool is scanning the C: OS drive? The HD light never blinks. I tried typing sfc c:\ /scannow and it returned me the list of syntax that were usable and said nothing about scanning a different drive. I referenced my DOS 6.2 reference book and apparently sfc is not a DOS command (that is a question)DSC05601.JPG

The command prompt from the recovery console (WinRM) doesn't require any rights elevation. You'll also want to use the /OFFBOOTDIR and /OFFWINDIR switches since you're not on a full system (when booted into WinRM or WinPE)

The above is just generic paragraph i have saved for these occasions. As Neem's says above when in the recovery console there's no need to elevate anything.
Apologies for not pointing this out.

1) It just doesn't work that way. There is no right click avaiable in any of these screens. I get the same result whether I right or left click on the "Command Prompt" in the right set of Advanced Options. I do not have anyway to elevate the command using Admin, the cmd prompt just brings me to the white/back cmd screen showing a drive "X" (sometimes it has been "K") which I am assuming is the MS Repair external USB connected DVD drive.

2) I attached the screens that give me access to the repair tools and I can get nothing to work.View attachment 35726View attachment 35725View attachment 35724View attachment 35723View attachment 35722

3) when I type sfc /scan now, how do I know it the tool is scanning the C: OS drive? The HD light never blinks. I tried typing sfc c:\ /scannow and it returned me the list of syntax that were usable and said nothing about scanning a different drive. I referenced my DOS 6.2 reference book and apparently sfc is not a DOS command (that is a question)View attachment 35721
Many websites -including Microsoft https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options- say that I can use the "RESET THIS PC" option under the ADVANCED OPTIONS - Does anyone know where this is hidden?? this is the page I am referring to in my repair console DSC05598.JPG above

No, "Reset this PC' is not in advanced options.
Boot to the advanced start up menu > Troubleshoot > 'Reset this PC'

No, "Reset this PC' is not in advanced options.
Boot to the advanced start up menu > Troubleshoot > 'Reset this PC'
I give up - The MS site says it is located in the Advanced Options. IS it or ISN'T it??

There is no other way to boot in Win 10. I am working off a USB DVD reader that contains the Win 10 ISO downloaded from the MS site which is being used for the Repair console.

There is no booting the normal way with the existing OS - it gets to the update and goes on and on forever as I stated in first post. What other way is there to boot? There is no SAFE option in Win 10 UNLESS you exit Win 10 and turn on that capability. Gwad MS has made 10 so complex I just don't understand why folks have accepted this. On my desktop I reverted to Win 7 and couldn't be happier.

I will pull out the HD and throw this ASUS Netbook in the trash.

How do I marked this as solved?

Back
Top Bottom