Windows 10 Win 10 Pro GA-Z87X-D3H 32 GB RAM random BSOD

mtrakal

Hi,

I upgrade my PC to 32 GB ram and everytime when I try to boot get BSOD.

URL photos: goo.gl/photos/CvKqM9XfsK4bFinp7
BSOD message is almost random with random filename (or without filename)

GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-D3H
Intel Core i5-4570 BX80646I54570
Crucial M500 - 240GB (tried non-ssd hdd too)
Seasonic S12II-520 520W
Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 BLS2CP8G3D1609DS1S00CEU
KB: logitech k360
Mouse: A4Tech X710BK

+ now new same ram:
Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600

- MemTest was runing over 12h with no error.
- I install on another HDD (not ssd) Ubuntu and works like a charm
- I install on another HDD (not ssd) Windows 7 x64, works well

- I tried to install clean Windows 10 x64 (not ssd hdd), but installation fail on BSOD with 32 GB ram, with 16 GB is OK (not depends on new 2x8 GB or on old 2x8 GB, both variant works).

So, problem is not in hardware (as I said, memtest and another systems are working). Problem is on Windows 10 somewhere.
When I'm running Win10 on 24 GB ram, it's almost stable, just sometimes BSOD. With 16 is stable, with 32 GB is not possible boot, or when sometimes boot, crash immedietely after login.

The power supply doesn't looks as a problem, because I unplugged 3 HDD which is in another time connected and working, maybe power in mainboard? Don't know :(

In a txt file is report from some of memorydump.

Attachments

• a.txt
    8.3 KB · Views: 233
  • msinfo32.nfo
    2 MB · Views: 254
  • msinfo32.txt
    1.1 MB · Views: 863
Last edited:
More than likely, you may need to set the ram timngs in the bios/uefi yourself. After you do anything in the /biosuefi hit the F10 key to save the changes.

That is actually true clearing CMOS me be something that could work. Also when populating all banks sometimes, if you didn't set XMP before, you would need to do it now (I would auggest after clearing CMOS) so that the motherboard will sync properly with timings with all 4 banks populated by memory. What I would do.

1. Clear CMOS / set optimized defaults
2. Set XMP

Yeah, clear it and then enter your am timings in it manually. On the side of your ram it should have it's timings. Just eneter those, hit F10 to save them and I'll bet no more bsod's happen, unless you have a outdated driver.
Upload your previous memory.dmp file here. You'll need to right-click on it and send it to a compressed zip file (on your desktop), to upload it here.

Thanks for replies.

There is a dump form W7F app.

I try to reset bios, set XMP profile and result is same... BSOD with random message.

Attachments

• W7F_26-06-2016.zip
    639.1 KB · Views: 382
Try either reducing the effective memory speed manually to 1333 (from 1600 MHz), or loosen the likely timings from 9-9-9 to 10-10-10. Just as a test to see if it will operate.

Did you download Windows 10 drivers for your motherboard from Gigabyte ? That very well could be your issue. Use the link I posted previously. Also if you click on the bios on the left it show a link to qualified ram for your motherboard. See if your ram is on the list. That could also be the problem Plus, your motherboard may not like 32GBs of ram. Some older motherboard's don't.
Are both sets of ram the same make and model. That;s a must, too.
Same thing if you use 2 video card's. They need to be the exact same cards to work in SLI or CrossFire. You can't have a GTX 960 in one port and a GTX 760 in the second slot. SLI won't work as everything is different.

Install CPU-z from this link. CPU-Z | Softwares | CPUID
Install it and right-click on it and select Run As administrator. Click on the SPD tab at the top and write those numbers down on a piece of paper. Enter the numbers from one of thos columns from top to bottom in your bios/uefi hit F10 to save your settings and see what happens.

That is true. I built a few systems with Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 (with the light blue heat spreaders) in the past, though slightly older systems also Z87 like yours ( I have a Z87 as well) a set of Gskill 4x8 worked fine on those setups where the Crucial didn't. So yes the specific modules do matter - especially when you populate all memory banks for rated speed. Sometimes in those cases where 2 sticks will run fine and the other two will not, but yet each one will run ok separately reducing the memory speed can get them running, although you should not have to do that. If that were the case, to get them running you may need to reduce speed and or timings. Like mentioned above a different set may be fine in a 4x8 config whereas this set may not with your motherboard in a 4x8 configuration.

Last edited:
It could also be your Intel GbE LAN driver or Realtek HD driver that needs a update. Realtek released a new driver earlier in the week. Realtek link: Realtek
Get the Intel GbE LAN driver from Gigabyes link above.

If memory serves me correct (pun indented) try using the old school BIOS in "normal.I believe F7 will get you there from the main BIOS screen

maxresdefault.jpg

Try loading "optimal settings" from there. Save, exit. See what happens,

It could also be that your power supply doesn't have enough juice in it for your pc.
Is the hdd or ssd you have Windows 10 installed in SATA port 1 ?
Which ever you have Windows 10 on.
Also, this one is really important. When you installed Windows 10 did you select either your DVD drive or Flash Drive that said EFI next to it ? That's a must do in Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 for Secure Boot to work.
That very well could be the problem.

I just checked your ram at Crucial's site and your timings and voltages are good.
Do a clean install of Windows 10 x64 and select the EFI listing as your boot device and install Windows 10 for Safe Boot to work properly. Then update your drivers for Windows 10 x64 from my earlier links.

Also too, when you install ram, it needs to be installed in a specific order. It will show this in the motherboard's manual. That's a must do for it to work properly.

OK. Here is how your ram gets installed > DDR3_1 far right slot is first. DDR3_2 is the second slot from the cpu 2nd on install list. DDR3_3 3rd slot from cpu is third on the list and DDR3_4 is the slot closest to your cpu, it's fourth on the list.
Here's a upload of your motherboard manual. Ah, the manual is too big to upload here. It's even too big as a zip file.

I try clean install of Windows 10:

- try to clean install with 32 GB ram (XMP enabled, cleared cmos), BSOD
- with 24 GB install OK

- insert 32 GB after installation completed, BSOD.
- back to 24 GB and install Gigabyte drivers from website
- boot OK
- back to 32 GB - BSOD

- try to ram speed to: 1333 MHz and WORKS! Windows boot 3 times without BSOD. Original Windows on SSD boots 2 times too, without BSOD. Looks great on first look, I'll test more (but now I have 4 AM and going to sleep...)

Thanks for help :). I'll reply after wake up and after using some software, that is stable, or not...

There are logs from clean install and with

Attachments

• W7F_26-06-2016_clean_install.zip
    107 KB · Views: 238
  • W7F_26-06-2016_drivers_updated_from_gigabyte.zip
    180.4 KB · Views: 296
Great news! Gotta run for a bit to fix a network but I will return later. It's very likely we may be able to get it to run @ 1600mhz with 32GB but we will have to manually play with some settings and timings.

Back