Windows 10 Win 10 upgrade fails with an 8007005 error. Can anyone help?

Moondoggy

Extraordinary Member
Tonight I attempted to upgrade my Windows 7 Pro desktop PC to Windows 10 and it failed with an error code of 8007005. Can anyone help me resolve this issue? Windows 10 downloaded and then it took a long time to get through the "Preparing for Installation" step and then the install just failed when this step reached 100%. I'm trying to run the upgrade again but if it fails, I'm stuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know how long it takes but I do know my cousin called me and hers was sticking at 32% for over three hours. She said just went to bed and the next morning it had finished downloading. She went from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

The 80070005 error is an "Access is denied" error. So the first thing that comes to mind is some type of Firewall or anti-virus blocking the install.

You are running the SP1 version of Windows 7?

Have you moved any of the original install to alternate locations? Do you have any links pointing to locations which would be unavailable to the install.

How much empty space in on your hard drive and how large is it?

I am running Windows 7 Pro SP1 and all updates have been applied before I attempted the upgrade.
I have not made any changes to the installation of Windows since it was installed. Everything is on the C: drive.
I have plenty of space on my hard drive.

I have run the System File Checker (SFC /SCANNOW) and it didn’t find any integrity violations. I ran the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7/64 Bit and it installed the KB Hotfix. I ran the Windows Update Diagnostic FIXIT utility for Windows 7 64-bit machines and it says that it did not correct the 80070057 error that it found. I've removed my copy of Norton Security completely from my machine. I also ran dcomcnfg as an administrator and compared the COM Security settings to verify that they had the same permissions as my laptop that was successfully upgraded to Windows 10 and they were the same. Right now I've activated the built-in administrator account, logged off my regular account and I'm now downloading Windows 10 again. If this doesn't work I'm at my wits end. If anyone has any other suggestions, PLEASE let me know. Thanks.

Well, I ended up calling Microsoft and initially they couldn't resolve my problem so it was escalated to 2nd level support. The 2nd level tech worked for 2 solid days but finally we were able to get Windows 10 installed on my desktop. The Tech's conclusion was that even thought there were no corruption to the system files themselves there were many things corrupt on my system. Interestingly enough he used a utility program called Tweaking.com Windows Repair available at Tweaking.com. There are a slug of check boxes on the left side of the screen and he checked everything except the boxes that pertained specifically to Windows 8.x and then he stated the repair which took a considerable amount of time. The good news was that it fixed whatever was corrupted on my PC. Interestingly enough, I could never get the ISO CD that I burnt on my laptop to open on my desktop until after the repair program fixed everything. I ran the startup.exe from the Windows 10 Pro install disk and it took about 1.5 hours to do it's mojo but after it finished I had a nice, clean Windows 10 Pro install. I have never seen this Tweaking.com program mentioned before and that's why I'm mentioning it in this post as it looks like many people could benefit from this program and perhaps it should be run first on an older Windows 7 Pro machine like mine.

Back
Top Bottom